Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California, USA
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
Sounds like we should work together and open a project on garage.maemo.org
That would be cool. Here's a small modification of your program that adds a few options that work well with my specific printer. If it were just for me, I'd probably remove the host, user, save, and exit (just exit after I click print).

One little annoyance is that two orthogonal options (fast draft, and grayscale) are not presented as orthogonal by the printer driver (.ppd file). This kind of gets in the way of my idea to let the user just specify some number of generic option slots with the associated commands (because I had to insert code logic to combine the two options). I guess it would work if we just exposed all 4 combinations of the two options to the user, even though it's uglier. Even then, without some kind of radio box logic, the user might specify conflicting options. Maybe this is price for being both simple and general (simple, general, and pretty -- choose two).
Attached Files
File Type: txt nPrint.gg.v0.py.txt (4.9 KB, 122 views)

If you are printing to a network printer or print server, you can maybe use netcat if you know the port number(most time 9100)

cat /media/mmc1/mytextfile.txt | netcat 192.168.1.1 9100

Works on my printer for plain text files and several graphic formats.

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California, USA
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
If you are printing to a network printer or print server, you can maybe use netcat if you know the port number(most time 9100)

cat /media/mmc1/mytextfile.txt | netcat 192.168.1.1 9100

Works on my printer for plain text files and several graphic formats.
Cool. These days, printers can probably print a few graphics formats because they can print directly off various memory cards. But don't expect to hand it something like a pdf, doc, html, etc.

Originally Posted by GraphicsGuy View Post
Cool. These days, printers can probably print a few graphics formats because they can print directly off various memory cards. But don't expect to hand it something like a pdf, doc, html, etc.
yes, it is definitely not a full printing system but works in a pinch for an email or chat log that i need printed. i wish the notes app did not store files as html so i could print those and be readable. PDF might work though on some printers.

edit: oh i see there is also html2text available so i will have toremember that for printing nots

Last edited by quipper8; 2009-01-12 at 04:55. Reason: edit

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Trier, Germany
That would be cool. Here's a small modification of your program that adds a few options that work well with my specific printer. If it were just for me, I'd probably remove the host, user, save, and exit (just exit after I click print).
A soulution is making a seperate configuration dialog which can be more complex. The main dialog would just contain a file selector and 2 buttons (print & exit)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
This is a cool project.

I'd love a simple GUI frontend for sshfs, so I could mount remote drives on my tablet without having to use the command line.

Originally Posted by z2n View Post
However, this sets a really example, in that it uses a clear-text password. This is a terrible security practice, even on something like the tablet.
You want a shock? Get the configuration editor and look through the app keys... whoa, look at all the passwords!

Can someone point me to the netcat package?
I am too dumb to find it at
http://repository.maemo.org

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I mean netcat for N900.