Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
I'm eagerly awaiting my preorder, and it's very exciting reading the experiences and especially the SailfishOS bugs thread, but I haven't yet seen a proper name for this first Jolla phone apart from 'the Jolla device' or the rather silly 'jPhone'.

Is there an official name for this device? If not, how about the 'Jolla First', 'Jolla First One' or 'Jolla the First'? It'd be cool in a few years time to be excited about the release of the 'Jolla Ninth'.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
It's called Jolla, they stated it several times on Twitter, despite the "jPhone" we sometimes read on TMO (a good fidnding, but could serve badly Jolla in my opinion).

and i've heard some people calling it "Joe Lar" (Like JAR-JAR binks but silent-R). it should be "Yo La"

marc dillon says it right.

please stick to calling it the Jolla phone and not jPhone.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
No, it should not be "Yo La". According to several sources in Jolla, it should be pronounced "Dzholla" (unless official position on this has changed). Finnish speaking however often pronounce it Yolla out of habit, since that's how the word is pronounced in Finnish normally.

Last edited by shmerl; 2013-12-03 at 15:50.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
The phone is called "jolla unlike"
Barnabas Collins

Posts: 202 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Apeldoorn, Netherlands
"Jolla Soon".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiempjuuh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
jPhone frog

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
It's a Yolla because it's a Finnish word. And they use Yolla in every marketing video etc. Sometimes people might pronounce it Zholla when speaking English out of habit or because they don't know the right pronunciation.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miharin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Miharin View Post
It's a Yolla because it's a Finnish word. And they use Yolla in every marketing video etc. Sometimes people might pronounce it Zholla when speaking English out of habit or because they don't know the right pronunciation.
I asked several people from Jolla straight about it. They said it should be "Dzholla" officially, not Yolla like in regular Finnish, even though even in Jolla some pronounce it "Yolla". I asked that a while ago though, and official view on that could change. I'll add this question to a FAQ.

Jollo - how do the Fins pronounce that?

I'm flattered