Closed Thread
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Nice to hear that Yes, they're accepted, at least since design freeze of whole body replacement (aka something like two-three months before I start manufacturing units that are directly going to pre-ordering people).

No, thank YOU The logo for donors/pre-orderers isn't limited to anything, as long as it's doable/feasible, and you're able to provide suitable 2D image of it in the format that I'll announce soon (still figuring out which one will be hassle-free for me, and accessible to non-CNC people at the same time - anyway, you can count on some variant of vector graphic, for sure. SVG should be safe to declare as convertible to anything I'll decide on).

I'll happily discuss details of personalization with everyone individually, so everyone can, always, ask me if some crazy idea is OK or a no-go. Apart from the points above, the only remaining rule is that implementing idea can't require enormous work from my side to apply it to the cover. All flat surfaces are "safe" to request engraved things on them. Curved ones not so, as it would require adding 3th dimension to engraving it, aka quite a hassle to implement - unless you grab sources from gitorious, fork, and code it yourself for 100% fit, then it can even be covered in 3D magic runes

Summing it up, I will LOVE to personalize pieces for people that helped/are helping to make it happen. Just keep it sane

/Estel
Quick questions...
So, when will we hear the warning bells: Donate now, pre-orders closing soon? A deadline would be helpful. [off-topic rant; seriously, it's a local-transport bureaucracy-related matter]"Soon" which stretches for a month or more, without any deadline, is nerve-wracking.[/off-topic rant]

2D is good. SVG is good. It will take a lot of time to design it, though. It's not like I should be doing this at my workplace. And it's not like I have any free time at homeplace... So, I should be starting now, already. Better early than late...
Putting all the relevant information into it, without violating any copyrights... That's complicated. And I am happy to hear that the kickstand is planned to be around-the-body (like N800?), so that it does not interrupt the logo-surface of backcover [yes, I am planning on logo that covers the whole back-cover of device. No words whatsoever, 'just picture'].

And it obviously should be in black-and-white. No colour, no grey. Right? Having a sample photograph of engraving-capability would be ... enlightening. Having a standard for logo-image, with ability to 'preview' logo 'overlayed' onto the surfaces would be good.

Off-topic. Sanity is relative... Subjective... Shortly, sanity has no strict mathematical definition or standard physical unit of measurement.

Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2014-09-13 at 18:30. Reason: Clarification-Addition

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
2D is good. SVG is good. It will take a lot of time to design it, though. It's not like I should be doing this at my workplace. And it's not like I have any free time at homeplace... So, I should be starting now, already. Better early than late...
Putting all the relevant information into it, without violating any copyrights... That's complicated.
I assume you are just aiming for one-off design anyway, just for yourself?
Then copyrights do not enter the equation, you are allowed to do just anything you like in this case, nobody is preventinf you even to engrave a copy of mona lisa there

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I assume you are just aiming for one-off design anyway, just for yourself?
Then copyrights do not enter the equation, you are allowed to do just anything you like in this case, nobody is preventinf you even to engrave a copy of mona lisa there
+1. While I can imagine that *some* (really rare case) countries may have over-jeaolous custom checks, that could try to make problems even with personal packagings of one-piece unit, if someone decide to put Apple's logo there , it is nothing we shouldn't be able to solve.

As for deadline - soorry, no deadline for whole body replacement, as it's completely unpredictable and missing it anyway just annoys people. I can promise a warning at least month before closing pre-order donations, and by that time, BTW, project will have proper annoucement threads (which is going to happen as soon as first variant of backcovers goes off to early supporters, and become available for regular purchase).

/Estel

// Edit

Don't take the N800's leg for granted, too. I will +try+ hard to have it that way, but I can't promise that it will end up beaing feasible. Considering that we're going to have additional port for external antenna + other features added, while still requiring to fit all vanilla N900's ports where they are, and keep sane size of the unit (so it won't, suddenly, become a tablet-sized device with 3,5'' screen )... Many things may require solid rethink during the actual prototype's manufacturing.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2014-09-14 at 06:00.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Status update after a little longer, busy period - run into some serious problem during manufacturing batches of backcover parts. Some part of CNC mill got faulty in unusual way - while everything keep sizes, it loses correct angles (so milled rectangular wouldn't be as much rectangular as it should be). While it's not visible easily by naked eye, it makes things don't fit where/as they should (most notable on leg not being able to go into it's place, and clamps not hitting N900 cover, correctly).

Still trying to pinpoint the exact component that is causing "jitter" on angles - which basically mean disassembling CNC's machine mechanical parts, and, as nothing is visually damaged, checking for the faulty one with precise tools. On moment's like this, I miss not having x-ray fault detectors...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Just out out curiosity, how much does an XRay fault detector of the kind you'd need to make these, kinds of problems go faster go for nowadays?

Besides that, how's the actual error-hunting going? Find the defective part?, What's the cost of replacement if so?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Just out out curiosity, how much does an XRay fault detector of the kind you'd need to make these, kinds of problems go faster go for nowadays?
Nah, it was a black humor (thanks for asking, nevertheless). You can't even bomb things with industry-grade amount of X-Ray radiation without proper allowances here. Besides, sets for detecting faults fall into 2 categories:
"generic" industry-scale ones, that scan one part at the time (suitable for checking for faults after production, on the "tape", rather - to scan parts of working machine, you would need to disassemble it, anyway) which are costing more than couple of new CNC machines build from scratch.

2. Custom-made ones designed to scan whole machinery without disassembling (some of them, suited for always-running machines, can even scan during worktime), which are obscenely expensive, obviously.

The latter were the ones I was referring to, but as said, it was a black humor joke.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Besides that, how's the actual error-hunting going? Find the defective part?, What's the cost of replacement if so?
I think I've found it - a part in the mill itself (that I don't even know English word for*) which is part of apparatus responsible for keeping rotating razor of the mill fixed, diagonally, at correct angle. Due to fatigue (and Chinese parts quality, to some extent) it started giving mill an angle bias, reverse-proportional to the direction of movement.

I hope that the above was written understandably enough to not fall (completely, at least) into techno-babble category Anyway, I'm waiting for the replacement part from China (was able to order it using my savings funds), and will be 100% sure after mounting it in place. Will also need to check on that part every few months or so.(quite likely, without disassembling - just running the "mill the rectangle" test on something, and measuring resulting angles).

/Estel

*How I purchases replacement without knowing the English name for a part, you might ask? By using the digital age equivalent of ancient "gesture talk" technique - I send a photo of the faulty part to my CNC parts supplier of choice, which, more often than not, is most reliable way of buying less-common replacement things from china Even IF you know the English name of a part, ordering it via name only may - and will, at some point - end up with you getting something totally different than meant to be...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Estel,

any news on the project? Stuff ready to be shipped and still on track?

X-mas is coming, so I'd be delighted to have a new body 4 my beloved N900 ...

kindest regards

peb
(p.s.. but again: thanks for your diligent work and the project ...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PEB For This Useful Post:
Oh, and btw: with the Neo900 around the corner (sort of ...):

Any idea if the internals of the Neo900 and the body-work of you will be compatible

<dreaming on>
so to have up2date Internals AND
up2date + customized enclosure .
<dreaming off>

regards
peb

It will be compatible, as the Neo900 does not differ that much from N900 in terms of size, except that you will need the spacer for the Neo900 as the motherboard is a bit tall.

EDIT: Unless the body is built completely different than how the N900 is right now. I'm currently assuming that the body does not differ that much from what it is now, except probably a few modifications here and there.

Great Akkumaru,

at least I made then an investment into the Future!.

So I just/still have to donate to the Neo900, which i'll do latest on the 15th Dec (CashFlow 2 be considered ...it's on the list for next week).

and then I hope to have all components pretty soon ... Q1/2015 would be good, my birthday is then just around the corner :-)

thanks again!
peter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PEB For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel