Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
With 3D printing, you may be able to be as local as your house. Its funny how trends transcend borders, buy local is a theme that many restaurants in US use as advertising gimmick.....
The fact that "average americans" don't get the idea, doesn't mean it's worthless. I've heard that argument (it's a gimmick, the world is global now) being made so often, and yet small scale works, as it keeps people involved while maintaining a feel of responsibility.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I'm truly glad they got 5000+ Pre-Orders. And it's a hidden surprise in the phone...

http://www.fairphone.com/2013/06/05/...rt-production/

Join the movment...LOL! Same theme as jolla

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-06-06 at 12:00.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Yet another Android piece of ****.

Whats wrong with all those new phone companys and emedded engineers this days. ****ing Android everywhere. On cameras, on embedded platforms and so on. Come with something FRESH for got sake!

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post

Whats wrong with all those new phone companys and emedded engineers this days. ****ing Android everywhere. On cameras, on embedded platforms and so on. Come with something FRESH for got sake!
I say this is a real moment, above spec and OS. Jolla is just another vendor looking for profit. They should have included this concept in their movement.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
You know what, this is exactly what I thought and for that very reason and the high price they won't get my business.

OTOH, they can't afford to experiment, they just have to go mainstream.

So I applaud the initiative even though I won't buy their phone. Just yet.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
We are launching with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean with Fairphone-specific features. As we are a new product, we don’t want to take too many risks on the OS so we want a balance between stability and openness. We want to offer a very stable product for our customers, so we have decided to go with Android. But not just the ordinary version, but something that the talented people at Kwame have created to add a more simplified use and experience for the user. We also want a system that supports dual SIM (Android does; others don’t), as this is in line with our core vision (less phones, more value in second-life markets like Africa). We are working with the amazing guys at Kwame to develop some special features on top of Android 4.2. We will have more details about the Fairphone OS, but for now check out Kwame’s slidedeck that they presented at DroidCon Berlin. Or read our blog recap of that event.

We are planning to launch the phone with root access for the user (rootable), so they can decide for themselves which operating system they want to install after some hard coding. At this point, we really need the support of open-source communities – people who develop for Firefox and Ubuntu – to help us optimize our device for these operating systems. For further info about our search for an open OS, check out our post on our trip to Mobile World Congress.
http://www.fairphone.com/#q8

Think they had to put Android on it, really. The potential moves to other OS's though are worth keeping an eye on.

They might be receptive to putting Maemo on it.

Love fairphone. As long as they keep it fair..

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
After a cursory glance (I'd really need to look around their site more, etc, before finalizing my opinion - for instance yeah they get their tin from the conflict-free mines of the Democratic Republic of Congo, but IIRC, the DRC isn't actually all that democratic and has some serious problems - I could be mistaken though, so would need to look it up more), I think it looks really cool.

If I had the money to throw around, and they were available for the USA right now, I would gladly get one just on principle, even if it weren't going to be my main phone. But as neither of the above conditions are met, I'm going to wait and see and hope they are successful.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Why should I buy a Fairphone instead of Xiaomi??

AndroidOpen Source

Tags
android, fair phone, fairphone2