Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
I think Flash 10.1 should be a major focus for Nokia!

Why

a) because I would like it (but that does not realy count)
b) because this would be one major advantage over Apples iPhone

Why does Apple not support Flash?

Because you could have applications and games out side of Apple Store - which of course is not what Apple would like. Read the section below to see why I say Apple does not want Flash.

Here is a statement from Adobe

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/flashplayer10/#FAQ

On the bottom click on Product Details then see FAQ

When will Flash Player be available on the iPhone?
Adobe needs full support from Apple beyond what is available through the SDK to enable Web browsing of Flash-based content on the iPhone. While we have been working hard to make the browser plug-in available, without increased co-operation from Apple, it will not be possible. Adobe is therefore focusing our development work on the major smartphone platforms that are working with us to deliver the most innovative and complete web browsing experience. With more than 85 percent of the top 100 websites using Flash and approximately 75% of all videos on the Web using Flash, we still believe that Flash on the iPhone would greatly benefit the millions of joint Apple and Adobe customers.

UNQUOE

FAZIT

NOKIA - Be smart and take advantage of this situation. This is one USP Nokia should not miss!

Regards Markus

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8844

missing a scrollbar? Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tic_scrolling/

Add quickbar (ABC, DEF, ...) in the Contact App. Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._address_book/

Posts: 216 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Switzerland
Unfortunately

There is no metioning of Maemo (mybe just to small at the moment) here.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f.../features.html

Support for New Platforms

Flash Player 10.1 adds support for a broad range of mobile devices, including smartphones, netbooks and other Internet-connected devices, allowing your content to reach your customers wherever they are. Target mobile operating systems include: Android 2.0 (Éclair), Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.5, Palm webOS, and Symbian S60 V5 * **.

** The release of binaries for a few mobile platforms may lag behind others but will be available in the first half of 2010.

UNQUOTE

Regards Markus

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8844

missing a scrollbar? Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...tic_scrolling/

Add quickbar (ABC, DEF, ...) in the Contact App. Vote here:http://maemo.org/community/brainstor..._address_book/

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by marktold View Post
Unfortunately

No mention of Maemo or Nokia because Adobe are in the dark as to when 10.1 will appear on a Maemo or Nokia device while they have control wrt Android and Palm.

Last week I also saw Flash 10.1 running on a Tegra board and asked about video acceleration with dsp. The guy told me the decoding is all done in cpu. I wonder if this is the case with Android/Palm that they just have optimised vp6 and h264 for the cpu rather than support all the different dsps on all the different SoCs used.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
When I spoke to Adobe people at MWC last week, they told me that the code for 10.1 is shared with Nokia but Nokia have not given them or anyone a timeline on shipping so the only timelines they can give are for Android and WebOS. I asked about Air for Maemo/N900 and they said Nokia don't seem to be too keen on Adobe Air.
Well, I don't see how they can be keen on Air when they have a WRT of themselves to promote

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by squirreluk View Post
This is a joke, n900 mobile computer?? these basic functions should be working, maybe it would be slow etc but i cant watch half the videos on the net because flash is not the latest versions, i love this phone but to be honest some things are **** me off the now.
What video you cannot watch because you don't have 10.1 on your N900. Think carefully what you'll answer, there are people that actually know a bit on how Flash video works and what are the differences between various Flash player versions.

While you are at it, since it is a basic function, name one production device that has FP 10.1 atm. I'm almost certain that it will come for the N900. Actually, name one device with a cell radio that has Flash (full version) at all. Any version.

Originally Posted by marktold View Post
Unfortunately

Support for New Platforms

Flash Player 10.1 adds support for a broad range of mobile devices, including smartphones, netbooks and other Internet-connected devices, allowing your content to reach your customers wherever they are. Target mobile operating systems include: Android 2.0 (Éclair), Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.5, Palm webOS, and Symbian S60 V5 * **.

** The release of binaries for a few mobile platforms may lag behind others but will be available in the first half of 2010.

UNQUOTE

Regards Markus

what about this though? does this not confirm its coming to the n900?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pee3nT4bPw4

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
... Actually, name one device with a cell radio that has Flash (full version) at all. Any version.
Er my sister's laptop? I know where you were getting at but think the phrasing missed a tad.

Originally Posted by zwer View Post
What video you cannot watch because you don't have 10.1 on your N900. Think carefully what you'll answer, there are people that actually know a bit on how Flash video works and what are the differences between various Flash player versions.

While you are at it, since it is a basic function, name one production device that has FP 10.1 atm. I'm almost certain that it will come for the N900. Actually, name one device with a cell radio that has Flash (full version) at all. Any version.
Phone was advertised and listed as having flash player, now to me that means its a basic function of the phone, now i cant watch any flash video etc as nearly all sites i go to say that flash is out of date so really this phone does not support flash.

The Following User Says Thank You to squirreluk For This Useful Post:
Sorry squirreluk, but that's just rubbish. Please be more precise in answering zwer's question: What videos, exactly, are those you can't watch? And, secondly, since when did 'having flash player' mean 'having a specific version of flash player'? And in this case it's totally ridiculous, there's _NO_ phone-like or hand-sized device out there with a 10.x version of the flashplayer. Not yet. This is something coming to mobile handhelds this year. The N900 was sold with the latest and greatest _FULL_ flash player at the time, oh, and still is. Note that e.g. the iPhone does _NOT_ have a full flash player installed.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Er my sister's laptop? I know where you were getting at but think the phrasing missed a tad.
I usually say `a handheld device with a cell phone functionality` to avoid such comments, I thought it's assumed when the N900 is the main subject. But yes, phrasing could be better...

Originally Posted by squirreluk View Post
Phone was advertised and listed as having flash player, now to me that means its a basic function of the phone, now i cant watch any flash video etc as nearly all sites i go to say that flash is out of date so really this phone does not support flash.
The N900 does HAVE a Flash Player, and a not cheap-*** Flash Lite, like the Symbian, but a real, fully fledged, desktop-grade Flash Player. It's just not the 10.xx.xx version, which makes it unable to use internal Flash `3D` transformations, Vector classes, advanced typography and not much else. Strangely enough, in all my surfing with N900, I've encountered a site that required 10.xx.xx player only once. And it turned out that it didn't (you can check the fourth byte of any .swf file to see which version it requires, tho even if targeted for Flash 10.xx.xx doesn't really mean it won't work on Flash 9.xx.xx unless it uses specific Flash 10.xx.xx classes), but was a fault of the developer who made his own script for checking against Flash player and failed at that miserably.

And in such cases, the old rule applies - don't blame the device/technology, blame the developers. Your device comes with a browser as well, that doesn't mean it will show every single page out there - I can make you a .html page that no browser will load, that doesn't mean that the browser sucks, it means that I'd fail at my job as a developer.

Since you are making a bold claim - nearly all sites i go to say that flash is out of date so really this phone does not support flash - would you like to post some URLs of those sites. I'd be more than happy to tell you where did their developers go wrong if needed. The world is full of crappy developers, don't blame the device for them.

As for the Video itself, Flash 9 and Flash 10 support the SAME video codecs, nothing added or removed. There is no video that requires Flash 10. Surely, Flash 10.1 would be nice because it can utilize hardware acceleration of some chipsets, but apart from that Flash 10 adds nothing to the game when it comes to video.

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update