It does work for me with PR 1.2, but I had to re-apply the Bluetooth setiings file, the chinook files, and keyboard mapping as stated in the start of this thread. Then reboot. After that I can connect the keyboard and set the new layout, than it works lika charm.
It would be great though if somebody could create a little program which does all those steps automatically, and incorporate the python script from pgaarde...

The Following User Says Thank You to mtjioe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericf2009 View Post
Yes: NO they do not work for me. Just before installing PR1.2 I was ecstatic to get my iGo Ultra Slim Stowaway working beautifully, with the exception of the return key periodically quitting. On re-executing the setxkbmap command and pressing yet again a key on the N900, it would come back.
After installing PR1.2, the N900 doesn't hear the iGo. Nothing at all. If I delete it and re-pair, it says it pairs successfully, but no keystrokes get to the N900, nor does it appear in the hildon-im-xkbtool --list. It's dead in the water.
I've stopped and restarted bluetoothd, also.
Sounds like your input profile is disabled in your bluetooth configuration.

I'll re-test my BT keyboard setup when I get home.

Thank you both for the quick responses! And thanks to the rest of the contributors to this thread, especially qobi! This is very encouraging.

However, I think my input profile was unchanged by the update. If you mean by that the DisablePlugins setting in /etc/bluetooth/main.conf. It is still "network, hal" only, no "input". And my chinook files are still where they were, in /usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook. But there's no reason to expect xkbmap to work or the keys to appear if hildon-im-xkbtool doesn't show the device. The only proof I have they talk at all is that the pairing "succeeds".

But I don't mind getting everybody out of the car then back in and trying again. I'll do that tonight and report success or not!

Update: Got it to work with JoHnY's dbus-send and hcitool scan commands. I also had to to delete the keyboard from the N900's bluetooth devices list and re-pair. Thank you! Now all is fine except the Enter key goes silent periodically. Somewhere else in this thread is the clue to use Ctl-Enter in this case and that indeed works. But I've found after a few times even that doesn't work if the N900 slider keyboard is closed. With the slider open Enter always works. That's fine, it's better open anyway. The little screen is just that much closer. This is an outstanding 12.5 oz full keyboard computer!

Update continued: This still works, but there are anamolies and the setup dies out periodically. The routine is:

1) turn on bluetooth (assuming you've paired the keyboard previously)

2) run the setxkbmap command (I made an alias in my .profile, as an example, it is: "gkb='setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us')

3) Hit some key on the N900's slide-out keyboard (THIS is easy to forget!) and you're set. I've typed this msg using the iGo Ultra Slim Stowaway. For some reason I had to do step's 2 and & 3 twice. Still it's an outstanding solution. Thanks again to all contributors!!

Last edited by ericf2009; 2010-06-03 at 06:18. Reason: Update:

The Following User Says Thank You to ericf2009 For This Useful Post:
I'm having the same problem as ericf2009 - my input profile is not disabled.

When I try to pair my Rocketfish RF-BTKB2, it says it paired on the N900, but the keyboard stays in pairing mode and the BT indicator on the N900 doesn't turn blue. If I pop the batteries on the keyboard and press the pairing button again, still nothing. It doesn't show up with hildon-im-xkbtool and doesn't pass keystrokes.

It worked fine before PR1.2.

Edit: Got it fixed! I just had to redo the dbus-send commands from JoHnY's instructions

Last edited by GameboyRMH; 2010-05-29 at 01:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
i have problems with the second dbus-send command. it keeps telling me --Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.Bluez.Input" doesn't exist--

i dont know if its related to the fact that " hildon-im-xkbtool --list" doesnt show me the new ID4 device (it should be my bt keyboard i think)

but at least i know that my input profile is enabled: now, when i pair the bt keyboard with the device, it understands that supports the HID profile.

but im on a dead end. ill keep reading how to debug all this

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen
just to share my experience...

I flashed the new firmware (only the fiasco image, not the vanilla/emms image) using flasher-3.5, and was a bit scared that my bluetooth keyboard wouldn't work (earlier I only did OTA upgrades), but I am happy to say that it worked without much trouble (I did however have to edit the configuration file and follow the steps I had followed the last time I set it up, cf. http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=39).

The Following User Says Thank You to filologen For This Useful Post:
Are there app to enable bluetooth input? It would be good to have an app where people can select keyboard model, keyboard layout and language from presets.

Thanks for answering!

Posts: 201 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Lots of thanks to Qole; I was able to modify his instructions to get x2x working with all the normal keyboard buttons to share my laptop's keyboard and mouse.

I did have to make one change; enter wasn't working quite right. I had to press it twice on the terminal, and it didn't work at all in some other programs. Editing the pc file under symbols (both copies) to change KPEN to Return and RTRN to KP_Enter (to match the default rx-51 file) fixed that, though.

Last edited by ldrn; 2010-06-02 at 23:33.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by clasificado View Post
i have problems with the second dbus-send command. it keeps telling me --Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "Connect" with signature "" on interface "org.Bluez.Input" doesn't exist--

i dont know if its related to the fact that " hildon-im-xkbtool --list" doesnt show me the new ID4 device (it should be my bt keyboard i think)
I don’t see ID4 either, and to me dbus-send gives an "already connected" error. Hmm.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
ldrn: did you mean qobi?