Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
There is a bug in the new layer settings code.
Thanks! I have managed to reproduce this, should be an easy fix.
BTW, there actually should be no toolbox icon in the per mode state list just for this reason.

Now for the older questions:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
@martink: for your info regarding GTFS, tho you may well have read this independently...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1109724
As a public transit API from Google seems to be nowhere in sight, raw GTFS support might indeed be the only way of supporting public transit search/routing. Or maybe is there someone other than Google providing search over the publicly available GTFS schedules already ?

Originally Posted by spanner View Post
Apologies, it looks like the crucial difference was not with the GET URL, but the fact that the "on-demand" tile downloads were single requests per connection (using "Connection: close" header) and the batch downloads used persistent connections.

The "andy.sandbox.cloudmade.com" server appears to barf on persistent connections.
Batch download uses persistent connection to limit the (otherwise astronomically high) amount of open connections due to the huge number of tiles and their small size.

I might also enable this for automatic tile download, provided it brings some improvements, like faster tile loading.

As for some tileservers not supporting this - should be easy to solve by adding a few variables that enable/disable persistent automatic/batch download for a given layer to the map layer configuration file.

Originally Posted by t1nym3 View Post
Hi MartinK,

I use ModRana quite a lot and I would like to check if you are planning any ability for ModRana to import a .kml file that can be downloaded from Google Maps as input for a set of POIs?
This is planned together with importing POI's from GPX files - for example, Cloudmade has huge POI database extracted from OpenStreetMap in in the GPX format.

The current module used by modRana for loding GPX seems to also support KML.

Originally Posted by volcal View Post
Is ther multirouting, multistop routing for the newest version?
The API modRana currently uses supports this, but there is just no GUI for it yet.

Originally Posted by volcal View Post
Can somebody please post the link for the update because modrana has not been able to pick up my gps since I installed it from the apps manager
Try to reinstall modRana ?

Originally Posted by skykooler View Post
MartinK, is Clutter coming anytime soon?
I have used Clutter for the currently released version of Mieru for Fremantle - while it is certainly usable it, Clutters performance is still not exactly stellar. Only version 1.0 is currently usable on Fremantle, while upstream is already somewhere around 1.7+. The newer versions require newer version of glib than what is currently available and need Gobject introspection for Python bindings, adding another heap of dependencies.

Thus to current plan is to use Qt with QML due to better availability on Fremantle, Harmattan and elsewhere.

Architecture
  • QtGraphicsView for the main map widget
    This should bring better performance, enable things like fake a 3D, sprite markers, fluent rotation and zooming, etc.
  • QML for the various menus
    What about finally having some kinetic scrolling, button feedback, etc. ?

As for the current GTK based UI, it should stay as an alternative for devices that don't have (recent) Qt libraries, like the Neo FreeRunner.

Implementation
The first thing to do is separate the GUI code from the modRana core (currently represented by the modrana.py file) and enable GUI switching and thus also serious alternative GUI development.

Anyway, might be quite a challenge but IMHO worth it due all the potential performance and usability gains.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
As for some tileservers not supporting this - should be easy to solve by adding a few variables that enable/disable persistent automatic/batch download for a given layer to the map layer configuration file.
Great, please disable persistent connection for google map. I would rather put up with slower but automatic downloads than scroll around for hours downloading it manually

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Request: to search poi saved to the phone offline. when I travel I normally saved alot of poi in the phone but sometimes having hard time to remember which category I put it. thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to superpj101 For This Useful Post:
Hi all:

Anybody using modRana on Android?

Just got a Droid 3 phone, so that I can run GNU/Linux via chroot on it, running debian unstable, quite snappy, better/faster than the N900, the keyboard is also better.

Don't really want to mess with the Android spyware system too much... But would like to run modRana on it.

Basically, there are two options:

1. Run modRana in the Android system, for this I just ran a quick search, and it seems to me there is no python for Android, I was quite stumped. Is this really the case, or just bad searching on my part?

2. Run it within the debian chroot. Anyone tried this? Just so that I don't waste time hacking with it, can it use the Android hardware, most notable the GPS module? It seems to me, Android uses some non-standard, from a GNU point of view, device files etc. so modRana might not be able to use the GPS...

Anyone have any info on this?

EDIT: OK, seems there is http://code.google.com/p/python-for-android/ so will investigate that. Would probably prefer to run modRana within the debian chroot anyway, so as not to mess with all the Android stuff...

EDIT1: Ohoh, modrana depends on liblocation0 to manage GPS functions, this is a non-free Nokia binary right? WTF, meaning it cannot connect to GPS outside of Nokia?
It runs smooth on the Droid 3, much faster than the N900, but obviously no GPS functions, so not very useable. Is there a way around this Martin?

Not worth messing with python-for-android, as modrana is not gonna be able to connect to GPS without liblocation0 there either...

Last edited by 白い熊; 2011-11-04 at 12:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by 白い熊 View Post
EDIT1: Ohoh, modrana depends on liblocation0 to manage GPS functions, this is a non-free Nokia binary right? WTF, meaning it cannot connect to GPS outside of Nokia?
It runs smooth on the Droid 3, much faster than the N900, but obviously no GPS functions, so not very useable. Is there a way around this Martin?

Not worth messing with python-for-android, as modrana is not gonna be able to connect to GPS without liblocation0 there either...
ModRana only uses liblocation when running on Maemo 5, on other platforms it uses gpsd. I'd guess as the chroot is based on regular Debian, gpsd should be available - if it can get data from the actual GPS hardware, well, thats another question.

To make modRana use gpsd, run the modrana.py with the argument of neo or q7.

So for example, like this:
Code:
python modrana.py neo
BTW, can you provide some photos ? Would look nice to have on the modRana project website.

EDIT:
Provided modRana gets no GPS data from the gpsd in chroot, there might be another possibility.
If you can find a way of getting the position data somehow iside the chroot (like some app outside from chroot writing it to a file and then reading it from inside the chroot, etc.), I can write a special "android_chroot" device module to handle this and possible other quirks of running of the Android chroot.

Last edited by MartinK; 2011-11-04 at 13:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
ModRana only uses liblocation when running on Maemo 5, on other platforms it uses gpsd. I'd guess as the chroot is based on regular Debian, gpsd should be available - if it can get data from the actual GPS hardware, well, thats another question.
Oh, what a relief, I'll investigate this further.

To make modRana use gpsd, run the modrana.py with the argument of neo or q7.

So for example, like this:
Code:
python modrana.py neo
OK, will try in a bit.

BTW, can you provide some photos ? Would look nice to have on the modRana project website.
I could, though am not sure with my setup it'll be anything special, I'm a hardcore GNU/Linux guy, i.e. I run StumpWM within the chroot, so no window effects, no tiling window, nothing, so modRana looks exactly like a fullscreen modRana on the N900. Anyhow, if you want some fancy stuff, I guess I could start up fluxbox or something and open some windows and then modRana... OK, let's get the GPS stuff fixed first though...

EDIT:
Provided modRana gets no GPS data from the gpsd in chroot, there might be another possibility.
If you can find a way of getting the position data somehow iside the chroot (like some app outside from chroot writing it to a file and then reading it from inside the chroot, etc.), I can write a special "android_chroot" device module to handle this and possible other quirks of running of the Android chroot.
OK, I'll investigate if it can use GPS.

If not, I'll work with you on this, so we can get a workaround like you mention, for that I'd have to first figure out how GPS services are interfaced in Android etc. but should be doable...

I'll be back later with the results of my interim tests.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 白い熊 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Hi all:

Anybody using modRana on Android?

Just got a Droid 3 phone, so that I can run GNU/Linux via chroot on it, running debian unstable, quite snappy, better/faster than the N900, the keyboard is also better.

Hi.

Glad you got GNU/Linux to run on Droid 3 via chroot. Would you please explain how you got that to work as I would like run Debian on android. Perhaps point to instruction on web if that is the case.

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry if the question was off topic. But I am quite interested in this.

Last edited by mscion; 2011-11-04 at 18:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Any chance of configurable POI catagories?

Thanks.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to storma For This Useful Post:
EDIT: OK, seems there is http://code.google.com/p/python-for-android/ so will investigate that. Would probably prefer to run modRana within the debian chroot anyway, so as not to mess with all the Android stuff...
I have done a good deal with python for android lately, and the biggest shortcoming is that there is no UI toolkit - you can't use GTK or anything. I ended up using a HTML page with Javascript to talk to the Python, not an ideal configuration.
That said - the drawing syntax for the HTML <canvas> element is nearly identical to that for a Cairo context, so it might not be too hard to port.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skykooler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
Still wondering how to import routes (like gpx) to Modrana. Have looked through settings and haven't found a possibility.

The Following User Says Thank You to shanttu For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps