Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
You sound like a bit of a crank there, give your head a shake and let go of the hate.
I think it was meant tongue in cheek - gotta give him some slack here, Germans aren't known for their humour

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by john_god View Post
@chenliangchen
So you're using a existent pcba that already exists in some phones out there, for cost saving. Makes sense.
So the new Lauta is going to be a mid, high or low end ? Have you decided what OS will have ? If you go with mainstream android, how much of a trouble would be in terms of logistic, to sell a Sailfish version with official support (assuming that Jolla does the port) ?
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99632

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Just an idea. Include a microfiber cloth.

Question: The side shot with the keyboard shows one side of the case is 20% longer than the other. Is that because there is a fold that fills around and velcros when the case is closed?

Last edited by aironeous; 2017-07-24 at 20:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
But now everything I can get uses built-in battery design - which solder the battery directly onto the board, which makes the difficulty I mentioned...
Are you going to put a connector on the wire between the battery and the PCB ?
(e.g.: like inside Apple iPhones which use some ZIF socket. Not like inside Braun Toothbrushes that solder the battery straight to the PCB)
It's not as user friendly as a removable backcover,
but at least it could be replaced by dis-assembling the phone only,
no need to do desoldering / resoldering of wires (with all things like heat and lithium not being very good friends together).

As the PCB is not back-cover friendly, I presume that there are no contact points for wireless charging neither ?

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
The main issue is on the PCBA

If I had money to design from scratch, I will make it "removable battery friendly" and the follow up design is easy.
and add tons of hacker-friendly contacts ? :-D

Well, we'll see. Maybe one day, by the time of "Youyota phone 3", you'll be rich enough to afford the risks...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by indie carmayne View Post
We would never use terms like 2k but we use 2.000 (amounts - with dot)/2000 (year - without the dot) /2Tsd (rather old-fashined but still understood) which is purrfectly clear to us.
Funny, the 2k is actually a very European and non-British notation since it is a metric multiplier (and you know how long it's taking for Anglo-Saxons to catch up with the metric system).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jameson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Funny, the 2k is actually a very European and non-British notation since it is a metric multiplier (and you know how long it's taking for Anglo-Saxons to catch up with the metric system).
Only because everyone here would kick off if you served them 68ml less beer!

I filled out a form at the doctor's the other day (not an important one). It asked what my weight is so I put 0.93kN

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Duel sim? I vote for a very simple model that actually ship rather then try some extras. Find the easiest way to complete the mission. Like trying the sliding mechanics.

Then in the future. Maybe.

Isn't there any well design qwerty sliders in China that can be used or all that expensive the can't be used or too crapy to use?
Remember that Chen already produced sliding mechanism, accepted by Motorola standards and delivered working jolla tablet.
Dual-sim shouldn't be problem for him, because market is saturated by cheap chinese smartphones with dual-sim that simply works.

What can be problem is world-wide working LTE modem. N9 got worldwide baseband. It's much more important for travelers than dual-sim IMHO.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
What can be problem is world-wide working LTE modem. N9 got worldwide baseband. It's much more important for travelers than dual-sim IMHO.
Dual-sim is the most important thing for travellers. Local prepaid sims are very useful outside EU roaming area. I hate swapping sim cards/having two phones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Metsämies For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Metsämies View Post
Dual-sim is the most important thing for travellers. Local prepaid sims are very useful outside EU roaming area. I hate swapping sim cards/having two phones.
I think it very much depends on where you come from and what kind of subscriptions you have access to in your country. I travel relatively often for work and worldwide 3G or LTE is much more important for me than dual-sim.

I don't mind dual-sim at all, it can be useful to some and is inexpensive, so why not. I'm actually happy I have it on the Jolla C even though I don't need it personally, it helped me convincing my girlfriend that it was a good phone for her since she's a foreigner and did not want to give up her phone number when she moved in another country.

But in my own case, there is just no need for another SIM. I am currently an expat for two years and did not even consider changing my subscription for a local one, the subscription I have in my home country gives me unlimited international calls/texts/mms and 50 GB of fair use wherever I want (16€/month), so it works during short trips as well. Worldwide data network is by far what matters the most for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by badpixel View Post
Remember that Chen already produced sliding mechanism, accepted by Motorola standards and delivered working jolla tablet.
Dual-sim shouldn't be problem for him, because market is saturated by cheap chinese smartphones with dual-sim that simply works.

Yeah. But has he built à phone before? Shouldn't be. Famous last words

It will probably be fine.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-25 at 18:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os