Active Topics

Notices

You got your Nokia N9(00) and you are at a local cafe, or at a friends house. Because you are a nice guy and so generous, you decide to turn on your built in WiFi hotspot. For everyone to join with no password.

Only to see the joy on their faces when they see their internet is upside down.

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pete/upside-down-ternet.html

How cool would it be ?? Imagine this idea done on the MeeGo/Maemo software.. I'm pretty sure it is possible with the community and the given software. I know it requires some programs and downloads for the desktop but not sure if it can be done on the phone. Can it be possible?/

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnb543 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
I think we have all dependencies, when setting up a hotspot, you would need to modify only iptables conf and have imagemagick installed, the scripts from that page should work (but don't quote me on that, that's only my impression after quickly skimming through that page)

edit: if you try that and it works, please tell us

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Sure it is possible.

The trick #1, redirecting everything to some cute site is doable out of the box, of course on N9 you need to be on open mode to change iptables.

The trick #2, manipulating images on the fly takes a bit more. You would need at least imagemagic and squid on your device, of which I think neither have been ported.
(But as a proof-of concept I think you could run them on Easy Debian, that should work OK...?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
imagemagick is in the maemo repositories, but i'm not sure about squid

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Well I'm not that great with writing script, never got into it. (I knew I should've tooken it up as a hobby) But I'm not scared in being in developer mode. So I guess the directions on an N9 is to be in that app inception? or the terminal and change "iptables" from there or download iptables and run it under the terminal ? not sure on all the technical parts..

The Following User Says Thank You to johnb543 For This Useful Post: