Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
I was wondering if any one could let me know if we can switch of eye candy and transitions in maemo 5? Something like disabling aero on windows 7. When windows vista came the multi window cycling effects were awesome to show someone... but in reality i never used it even once!
Similarly i would want to disable it unless i show how cool the IT is some iphone guy .

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
You installed Windows Vista?!

Tim

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
No, although someone (Mer?) could produce this after tuning Hildon. However, I haven't felt the urge to disable any visual effects in Maemo 5. And I'm a Linux user that has tried and disabled many graphical effects in the desktop.

I think the Maemo 5 UI has the appropriate level of graphical effects in order to help you interact with the system. No bling festival just because.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Install Debian and another window manger?

LIKE COMPIZ FUSION. WOOOHOOOO!!!!!

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
You can disable all transitions.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I'm uploading now transitioncontrol to extras. It does support tuning all the transitions. You can also just disable all of them with it if you want.
https://garage.maemo.org/pipermail/e...st/009005.html
Upload successful. Installing now to test.

The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to konttori For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
One thing I've learned is that one man's "bling festival just because" is another man's "appropriate level of graphical effects". And some people just like over-the-top graphics. I personally tried the rotating cube thing in Compiz for two hours and then turned it off. I actually find Ubuntu's and OSX's default level of transitions to be annoying.

I really like the idea of konttori's transitioncontrol app. I hope it can be put into Settings, and you can do a one-touch transition disable / enable, and maybe even have ways to save different transition sets.

Even better, transition sets should be part of the theme! Because sometimes you just want "bling festival". Especially if you're trying to show off to an iPhone friend

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Has anyone tried this app yet?

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Has anyone tried this app yet?
Yes. It's cool. Although, I altered my setting so much that I had to reflash because everything was crazy/weird by the time I was finished. A useful function might be "Restore Defaults."

Tim

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
The N900 effects look to be subtle and sophisticated. However, i may end up turning them off or speeding them up to the point you can hardly tell. Sometimes, especially with a phone, the quicker i can get through the screens the better.