Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
PS: The verb you want is "set" which is the transitive form. "I set my bottom on the chair." vs "I sit on the chair." "Set" requires an object ("my bottom") but "sit" does not. This usage defies many a native speaker of English.
Are you saying that using sit (meaning lie or rest) in a transitive way - such as in "I sat the kettle on the stove" or "I can sit my thumb on the arrow keys" - is incorrect?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ibero For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by xman View Post
This was a really great comparison. Very in-depth and fairly unbiased. Appreciate the effort. You didn't really touch on the close bits of sailfish which many people you complain about. But overall good work. And your accent is fine, you speak clearly and slow enough that I can't see anyone complaining about it .

Cheers

X
Yes, actually I had other cuts in which I specifically said that Silica is closed source as opposed to Lomiri, and then mentioned patches to customize Silica, but that cut was not good for other things I said or failed to say, so I used another one. In the end I think the words "Lomiri" and "Silica" are not even pronounced here, which is frustrating.

There are other things I forgot to mention or do, like describe xkb layouts in each OS, backlight not working yet in Ubuntu, explain that LXC allows running a full desktop while Libertine is meant to only run desktop applications, that there is LVM encryption in SFOS 3.4, that keybindings like copy/cut/paste and the use of Ctrl or Shift to select text work system wide in both, etc. I should really have prepared a detailed list and followed it.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2020-12-10 at 12:12.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by ibero View Post
Are you saying that using sit (meaning lie or rest) in a transitive way - such as in "I sat the kettle on the stove" or "I can sit my thumb on the arrow keys" - is incorrect?
Yes, in strict usage it is incorrect. It can be used correctly in a transitive way if you're actually putting someone (or yourself) in a seat or if you're using it to state the seating capacity of something like a table or an auditorium, "This hall sits 500 people".

But no one except an English teacher would take any points off for swapping the two words, and I can't imagine any way it could cause confusion to use it "wrong".

(Fun fact: the past tense of "set" is "set". Because English.)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
I bit the bullett just before the Indiegogo campaign expiration, touching wood that this is not going like the Youyota campaign!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jurop88 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
I bit the bullett just before the Indiegogo campaign expiration, ...
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Finally gave in and bought one, ...
Great to read, thanks for sharing.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by jurop88 View Post
I bit the bullett just before the Indiegogo campaign expiration, touching wood that this is not going like the Youyota campaign!
I finally got my money back on the Youyota campaign months after the project owners went dark, closed the blinds and turned off the radio to pretend they weren't home. First, updates stopped, then forum posts were not replied to. I made multiple attempts to contact them with no response, then reported the campaign multiple times to Indiegogo. Indiegogo's response was that the matter was between me and the project owner, and no, they wouldn't tell me how to contact them because privacy. A letter from the local DA's office consumer protection division did work, but kinda soured me on Indiegogo and crowdfunding in general, so I didn't go that route this time.

I did, however place a direct order from F(x)tec (just before the Pro 1X announcement) so if I am amazingly lucky I'll get my device soon(TM). I'm gonna have to figure how to log back in to the company website to get an update. Haven't been able to for a while, and password reset email link takes me right back to the "send a password reset email" page . . .

Woulda been cool to have the larger memory and storage and neat cover (and early early discount price) but what would I do with two Pro's?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Woulda been cool to have the larger memory and storage and neat cover (and early early discount price) but what would I do with two Pro's?
I'm guessing at some point it will be booting mainline but useless, then perhaps wifi will work making it suitable to use for web browsing around the house before telephony, GPS and camera work making it suitable for being a main phone. It would be good to be able to watch the progress (and maybe help if I had time/ability) and also to test the new version of Sailfish or Ubuntu (whichever I'm not running) without trashing my main phone so a second one would be great.

Sadly I am not rich so one will have to do

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 90 | Thanked: 580 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Belgium
I'll just drop this here for those who don't follow the official forum : https://community.fxtec.com/topic/32...over-stickers/

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to netman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Do we know if the LineageOS edition of ProX1 come with Google Play services? If not, is MicroG available for this device?

In other words, can we use apps that need GMaps, FCM etc. under LineageOS?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 400 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Geneva - CH
No idea with which version of google play services the Pro1X comes but with LineageOS, you can install any versions of it. This has to be flashed right afterLineageOS.

https://wiki.lineageos.org/gapps.html
"Google apps should be installed via recovery immediately after installing LineageOS."

https://opengapps.org/?api=10.0

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jordi For This Useful Post:

Tags
expectations