Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@OP: Best of luck with the move.. as an (on-and-off) Nokia fan, I still root for them. It's unfortunate that Nokia products used to be an easy choice back then and now it's getting harder and harder to even justify a purchase of their best offering...

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I think that this site is still basically controlled by people who are largely controlled by Nokia. If it wasn't, it would go back to being called InternetTabletTalk, which would make it clear that Nokia doesn't get an automatic edge. I like my N900 but would much prefer a site that was neutral on the question of which device is best. That would eliminate needless fights by people who want to complain about Nokia and would make it much clearer that this isn't a Nokia site.
Are you serious, dude? Those users (even remotely) associated with Nokia are usually the level headed ones and they contribute the most with useful (tech, market, etc) informations and roadmaps.

I share somewhat similar feelings in regards to 'going back to ITT' though.

At the time, the change from ITT to TMO was a natural progression and it was positive. Now that 'TMO' moves on to MeeGo, I wonder about the continuity of this valued community.

I bought five Nokia devices in a row, but that doesn't mean I'm owned by Nokia. I'd be much happier if the name of this site made it clear that this site is also not Nokia-owned. But I think there are serious interests at play here, monetary interests, that still give Nokia the inside track here. The dice are loaded.
I think you're overestimating some things there...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 8 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Moscow
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
good for you not like anyone cares
Quoted for truth.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I like the flexibility of the n900. You can pretty much install anything you like.
E.g. I use Python and Django is installed on the n900 too. There is also Easy Debian - I bought a combined bluetooth keyboard and trackpad and now for me the n900 is a "proper" portable computer.

Quite frankly, I don't care who makes a device like this. If Nokia produce something similar again then I may upgrade. If Intel or Microsoft (unlikely) produce something like the n900 then I will quite happily jump ship.

I don't care who manufacturers my "phone" as long as it can meet my requirements of the n900.

In fact I would go back to two separate devices if I got something like this: Pandora

I like Android but I am paranoid about my privacy and also Linux software is difficult to port over (no glib).

And Flash can kiss my hairy a*se!

Kissing bumbum failed, you need to update your flash player to kiss bumbum.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
Wow the jackals are out quick today.

Originally Posted by rickysio View Post
Enjoy your stay in Spydroid land.
You think Nokia and PR 1.2 is any different? You log in to OVI? can see a history of all your downloaded products as you move through the very short menus? It isn't because of cookies that they know everything you have done on their software. You seriously think a hacked mod to stop PR1.2 from sending them data will change their attempts to monitor those that use their stuff?

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
Oh, one other thing, if the N900 is more than you can handle, there is new firmware out for your N97 which finaly makes it run quicker and gives you free maps
I think you proved the OP's point. 2 years after release (or there abouts) you now get firmware to make a crap phone run quicker.

But the N900 isn't more than I can handle, and I think it is a steaming pile of turd as well. I agree with the OP in that Nokia are releasing beta hardware phones and the N97, N900 and N8 are all in that category.

A persons hatred of the N900 or their intense dislike or long drawn out dismay at Nokia. Is not just because they might find some technical issues with it, that it somehow might be that the person is thick, or too stupid to understand the phone. But simply because it is a steaming pile of turd and doesn't do what they thought it should given the huge and over inflated price tag.

It might be a developers phone to most people on these forums but you point out on 'expansys.co.uk' where it says "...This is a developers phone", you can find the N900 listed under "mobile phones."

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
This site is largely polarised between the smartphone and linux-orientated factions.

When I first used my N900 I was adamant that it was a PHONE first and foremost - that was what it was sold as, and all this 'internet tablet/linux computer with a phone app' nonsense was just that - nonsense. To me at that time, anyway.

Since then, my position has shifted. N900 was my introduction to linux, to running any kind of command and to any kind of hacking (if I may be so bold as to associate myself with such activity).

I can now see that both factions are right: N900 can be a phone, although it has it's fair share of bugs and shortcomings. It can be a pocket linux computer, although why anyone would want to run full-scale desktop programs on such a small screen and with no mouse is quite beyond me.

So it is no surprise to me that when someone dares to criticise, let alone walk away from this community, they are lambasted by one side or the other.

It's just a shame that some individuals cannot engage in a constructive discourse as opposed to saying 'don't bump your arse as the door slams behind you on your way out'

The Following User Says Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post:
wow you stayed out of devel, no wonder you got bored. ive had it open since release and never had a problem.

Well, first... you don't have to stick to Nokia or whatever brands. Just get the phone that suite your daily needs. A lots of people claims they got the coolest phone... or the best phone in the World. Well, that only last couples of weeks or months or if you are luckily couple of years. lol.

Also, how many people really fully utilized all the functions they got on their phones before starting to look for another one. I'm sure some of the Apps/icons in your N900 or N97 are not even used or touch since it is there since day one you owned that phone.. LOL!

Originally Posted by jerra View Post
First off, this post is meant to be constructive.

I have owned a lot of Nokia GSM phones since 1994. Two GSM phones has been other brands, Samsung and Motorola but only for a few weeks because I simply didn't like them. I don't remember the models but it was a long time ago.

Well I have been using my N900 since it's launch and it has been a good phone. Been using it like a computer almost.
My N97 before that was fun for a few weeks because of the touch screen but other than that the phone was downright bad. Sluggish and crappy from start to end. (and I paid 724 euros for that )

I was demonstrated a HTC Desire and spent the weekend reading on about Android and what functions there are. In Android I found everything I need, calendar/contacts synchronisation, email, maps, Flash 10.1 and more. I've been so into Nokia I've never even considered anything else up until recently. Just proved to myself how important a familiar brand can be.

Looking back at my N97 and N900 it now feels like I paid for these phones to be some kind of beta hardware tester. N900 has been on the market for a long time considering the lifecycle of today's hardware and still not full support with Nokia's own applications.
Reading reviews of the N8 there are hints of slow UI reponse. History repeating itself. Reading some Nokia bloggers it seems they are pushing it as it was a high-end DSLR solution... (?) Totally shifting focus from the functions that really makes a smart-phone.

I really hope Meego will be a success story and that it will help Nokia advance and once again be the smarter choice for demanding users.
I feel exactly the same as Jerra. To hear that Nokia are abandoning Maemo is like a kick in the teeth and I'm now stuck with this white elephant "geek" phone on a 2 year contract...thanks a bunch Nokia!
I should have opted for an iphone or as Jerra says an Android driven device like an HTC Desire...Shame on you Nokia...and never again!!!

Originally Posted by radiowc View Post
Well, first... you don't have to stick to Nokia or whatever brands. Just get the phone that suite your daily needs. A lots of people claims they got the coolest phone... or the best phone in the World. Well, that only last couples of weeks or months or if you are luckily couple of years. lol.

Also, how many people really fully utilized all the functions they got on their phones before starting to look for another one. I'm sure some of the Apps/icons in your N900 or N97 are not even used or touch since it is there since day one you owned that phone.. LOL!
On the contrary, I wish it did have basic functionality that a business grade phone should have like sync with Outlook, MSOffice application converter/reader...other phones have!

Oooh oooh a Nokia/Maemo/people-who-like-the-n900 hate thread! Back and forth with the tit-for-tats "your vendor did something bad so that totally justifies my vendor doing something bad" and "omg what a terrible phone."

Why can't "I'm leaving you Nokia, and never coming back" threads like this get locked instantly, for the sake of our more reactionary audience?

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:

Tags
bestthreadever, douchebaggery, grass-greener, please let, this thread die