Sometimes I find myself with the wish of being able to use my desktop keyboard for input into the N900. Of course I can use x11vnc, but there are some problems with that:

1. Speed, e.g. scrolling and dragging are very slow
2. The keyboard mapping is not correct.

And besides why should I need to redirect the screen if all that I want is redirect the keyboard input?

I imagine a solution that works over ssh and opens up a small window on the desktop computer. When that window is focused on the desktop, then all the keyboard events are sent to n900 and provided to the application.

The question is how to get a program generate virtual keyboard events to X11? If someone can help me with that I could easily build the rest of the application.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
x2x and synergy do this, they can either be ported or just executed in the x86 qemu runtime. You'll almost certainly always have a pain with keyboard mappings being accurate though.

The Following User Says Thank You to damion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
@damion why port or emulate the x86 of synergy2 when its already ported to Maemo and have been working since the other Maemo devices? The one who search will find!

ssh.
have fun.
Originally Posted by dov View Post
Sometimes I find myself with the wish of being able to use my desktop keyboard for input into the N900. Of course I can use x11vnc, but there are some problems with that:

1. Speed, e.g. scrolling and dragging are very slow
2. The keyboard mapping is not correct.

And besides why should I need to redirect the screen if all that I want is redirect the keyboard input?

I imagine a solution that works over ssh and opens up a small window on the desktop computer. When that window is focused on the desktop, then all the keyboard events are sent to n900 and provided to the application.

The question is how to get a program generate virtual keyboard events to X11? If someone can help me with that I could easily build the rest of the application.

Thanks. x2x was exactly what I was looking for!

It actually works less than perfect, as there is still a keyboard mapping problem (just like in vnc). Is there anyway to have different keyboard mappings depending on the origin of the keyboard event? I.e. if the event is from the internal keyboard, behave as it does right now, but if the event is through x2x or through vnc, then use a "standard X11" mapping.

Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by antezz View Post
@damion why port or emulate the x86 of synergy2 when its already ported to Maemo and have been working since the other Maemo devices? The one who search will find!
Didn't know it had been done. In general if something hasn't been crosscompiled yet* simply typing ./qemu ./existing-x86-binary is quicker and lazier

*note that I do have a compile environment anyway, but some stuff doesn't just work without tweaks to get it o work.

Tags
just shoot me