Closed Thread
According to Stskeeps, Sailfish is intended to be a shared base for vendors, but the status of the UI licensing is still under discussion and not finalized. So it's not yet decided whether it'll be open or not.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-11-21 at 21:35.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
I noticed that they do not have standardize icon pack across platform. I wonder if its too late to put this sense to them, since the icon shown looks so android-ish.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
According to Stskeeps, Sailfish is intended to be a shared base for vendors, but the status of the UI licensing is still under discussion and not finalized. So it's not yet decided whether it'll be open or not.
Deja vu all over again, and again. Just saying.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
What about all the wild claims that there's going to be a full-blown, built-in, ACL, there's been zero solid evidence for that, aside from a Myriad logo on one of the slides.
I haven't watched the SDK reveal/presentation yet (has it even started?), that may have since revealed more...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-22 at 06:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
What about all the wild claims that there's going to be a full-blown, built-in, ACL, there's been zero solid evidence for that, aside from a Myriad logo on one of the slides.
I haven't watched the SDK reveal/presentation yet (has it even started?), that may have since revealed more...
The SDK presentation will be held at 10AM (Finnish time) which is just one hour away.

On Sailfish wiki QA it is stated that

"What do the Android app developers need to do get their apps run on Jolla devices / devices based on the Sailfish OS?

Many Android(TM) applications will run on Jolla devices unchanged (Android is a trademark of Google Inc.). If you want to take advantage of all UI and other features of Sailfish OS and make yourapplications fast, you can port your applications to native QT/QML. There are extensive guides available on how to do that. "

https://sailfishos.org/wiki/QA

So no mention of Myriad there.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Can this be related to that Google owns the rights to android? Mybee they are not allowed to use for commercial purposes like promoting an competitive OS.

EDIT:There was also android logo in one of the movies from yesterday... If you noticed

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-11-22 at 07:57.

One thing wasn't clear to me at all. Is Sailfish a generic layer of OS+UI built for more vendors to share and extend? Kind of Mer idea, but on a higher level. And is it fully open? If so, then Jolla's OS will be an extension of Sailifish, not Sailfish itself. And the extended part will contain the closed UI.
That's what has been communicated previously, other Vendors/OEM's (inc. Jolla) can have their closed bits on top of Sailfish...
But Sailfish as the Base_OS remains open (as is possible) at the lower levels (ALA MeR), & open too at the UX layers (ALA MeR).

Hmmm, not sure me likey....

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Deja vu all over again, and again. Just saying.
So how would their licensing model work effectively with a completely open (uppermost & lowest layers) UX?
Unlike the giants of the industry, they don't have a huge stable of proprietary & licensed technologies.
Their entire UX/native_apps is one of their few "trump cards"...
Also, I doubt very much their 1st device(s) is going to use the most cutting edge SoC/Hw.
If they have moderate success with the 1st one(s), then they might be able to cut a better deal.*
Which is why they've been strongly hinting at excellent performance on cheap "$100 hardware".
They ofc still have libhyris up their sleeve, but they don't seem to be relying on it strongly just yet.
Besides as shmerl highlighted, it sounds like they haven't yet settled on completely closed, partially closed, or completely open.

*having more & more vendors/oems on-board would rapidly change this equation in their favour too

Originally Posted by OVK View Post
The SDK presentation will be held at 10AM (Finnish time) which is just one hour away.
On Sailfish wiki QA it is stated that
Yeah seen that, hopefully the presentation reveals much more about it all, wont be happy chappy if it doesn't.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-22 at 08:11.

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
From Jolla's Twitter:

"Our friend there is Myriad."

https://twitter.com/JollaMobile/stat...24818908008449

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Oh goody, yet another hint, I responded to them there
https://twitter.com/JollaMobile/stat...24818908008449

(I responded to your last post, see my updated post above yours)

Sooo... Anyone been able to watch the presentation? Findings? O_o
Also, any ideas/thoughts relating specifically to the content/formatting of the two Google docs?

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-11-22 at 09:46.

Closed Thread

Tags
jolla, nokia-again?, not-so-open, totally closed, zipper is open