Active Topics

Hey, I've been meaning to strenghten the usb ports on my two N900s before the ports fall off, but I was wondering, what kind of soldering iron do i need?

Would a cheap 60w one with thin tip suffice? For solder wire I already plan on using 0.3mm tin/lead wire.

Any suggestion would be welcome. I use soldering irons years ago but never for a job as small as this, so I'm not sure what would do.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I used ths one. 30W. Got it a promotion for something like £2.99.

The moral of the story is, it's not the tool, it's how you use it.

Practice on something else first. You don't want to damage your precious.

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-04-16 at 05:57. Reason: Added moral.

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ FrozenOver
have you filed your micro usb b fangs down yet?
I think I am going an epoxy route. no heat to damage anything and no hot solder where I dont want it though can probably get epoxy where you dont want it, shouldnt make a short circuit though if it does.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by mrapathy View Post
have you filed your micro usb b fangs down yet?
I think I am going an epoxy route. no heat to damage anything and no hot solder where I dont want it though can probably get epoxy where you dont want it, shouldnt make a short circuit though if it does.
I think I was one of the first people that epoxied the port in place. That particular N900 is long sold, so I cannot verify how long it lasted. However my current N900 was used for 4 years with a regular usb cable and a non modified motherboard. I soldered AND epoxied the port in place, and it's been working perfectly for another year since.

I think soldering is a stronger bond, preventing micro cracks. The epoxy alone might not be enough if you don't prep the surface properly and use cheap epoxy. If you have the skill and tools, go for both.