Notices

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 140 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Israel
Unfortunately for a device which claims to be an Internet tablet the N900 does a pretty lousy job at one of its most basic functions: Web browsing.
I've tried a magnitude of different browsers and not a single one was satisfactory. Here's a list of browser I've tried:

MicroB - Incredibly heavy on system resources and very outdated.
Firefox - Even heavier than MicroB and also outdated (though a little more recent than MicroB).
Midori - Completely refuses to load https sites.
Tear - Completely refuses to load any page at all (just shows loading icon forever).
Dillo - Has more or less the same W3-standards support as Mosaic.
Mauco - Only shows iPhone versions of sites.
Opera - Has problems with various websites that were only designed for popular browsers (Trident/Gecko/WebKit), sometimes produces various errors.

Anyone knows of a lightweight browser for the N900 that just works?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NiQ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
The whole phone is outdated. Good luck with your browser search...

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Oldenzaal, The Netherlands
well you could attempt to build a recent firefox for it, but that would result in a firefox with desktop UI and no kinetic scrolling

Posts: 896 | Thanked: 978 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Greece, Athens
wow... so many solutions and nothing satisfies your needs?

just overclock to 805 or 900 mhz and try MicroB again.
It rules.

The Following User Says Thank You to HELLASISGREECE For This Useful Post:
Posts: 463 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mumbai, India
U could search for the QT version of firefox version 6.0 alpha from somewhere in this forum...much faster than the normal firefox for N900

Opera is a bit memory-hungry, but <edit>IMO</edit> it's the best "feature browser" for the phone anyway.

Presto is not weaker than other engines at all; websites designed for other engines may look "simpler" or without visual effects, anyway these are REALLY RARE and show the designer's lack of skill. So your reason that it's incompatible with some sites is not such a huge problem. (Unless it's, e.g, your company's website, which is another story)

And I've never experienced any strange errors with it yet.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I'm 99% successful with either microB or Opera Mobile. Try an HP Touchpad, for example, which is the definition of an internet tablet. Lousy as in the book.

Nevertheless, some progress would still be welcomed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NiQ View Post
Unfortunately for a device which claims to be an Internet tablet the N900 does a pretty lousy job at one of its most basic functions: Web browsing.
I've tried a magnitude of different browsers and not a single one was satisfactory. Here's a list of browser I've tried:

Firefox - Even heavier than MicroB and also outdated (though a little more recent than MicroB).
Opera - Has problems with various websites that were only designed for popular browsers (Trident/Gecko/WebKit), sometimes produces various errors.

What versions of Opera and Firefox/Fennec do you use on your N900?

Btw. I cannot see that MicroB is heavy on system resources in general. In my case it depends on the webpage.

Posts: 470 | Thanked: 399 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Croatia
Originally Posted by NiQ View Post

Midori - Completely refuses to load https sites.
Tear - Completely refuses to load any page at all (just shows loading icon forever).
Dillo - Has more or less the same W3-standards support as Mosaic.
Mauco - Only shows iPhone versions of sites.

good luck finding a better browser than MicroB on a pocket device

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GrimyHR For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
for me microB is more than better at least it can access to any site
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post: