Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The edges make it very good to hold, IMO. With rounded edges, it would feel more slippery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
talk about slippery, I changed from my lastucase back to red puppy and realized its more slippery than lastu.

However I dislike the fact that Jolla does not make money on Lastucases sold because lastu don't ship with a jolla case. I think they should.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
Reporting back after applying a piece of paper next to the battery. No reboots in two days. Thanks you community.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shanttu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Cork, Ireland
Running Update 5. Battery life good, getting a couple of days. Browser is just about usable, navigating sites and tabs is a pain. Loving the music player, simple to use, sound is excellent and navigating my collection is beautifully intuitive. I've lucked into a great mobile / headphone combo with a set of AKG450s. Anyone who has listened to playback has been very very impressed. Best thing is that thereis more to come, my tunes are in mp3 format from google music, starting to convert my CDs and Vinyl collection using Flac this weekend.
Some of the native apps are fantastic, Mitäkuulu, Tweetian, Friends, Sailbox spring to mind immediately as being Tier 1 level, upnpplayer picked up my LG tv and media collection on my Win 8.1 box without any issue.
I have all the available other halves, Snow white, First one, Black and Aloe with Poppy Red on the way, have had no issues with them being recognised or problems with fit. Does mean that I expect to have a full Ambience selection screen in about 3 or 4 months.
Mapping is accurate and reasonably fast, disappointed that I do we do not yet have live directions. I would pay an extra license fee for this functionality.
With regards Android apps, I am trying to keep away from them, only 2 I have so far are Viber and Skype and both are functional.
So to sum up, i'm impressed with the development progress, the UI has won me over completely and i'm looking forward to more native apps and development of Sailfish.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robbiec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
OK, my summary:

Got my Jolla in december. My only smartphone, until that moment, was a Nokia N900.

As a phone, no problem. But I'm feeling both GSM/3G and Wi-Fi reception quality are slightly worse than N900's. Got no experimental proofs; it may be just psychological.

Silica UI and gestures are absolutely delightful. First sight love.

Stock browser is unusable for me, because of the "image-link" bug (question 23243 on togheter.jolla.com). Luckily, Webcat available. Impressed by the GPS app: about 100 times faster than N900's when loading and making "lock". A shame it doesn't offer offline maps. About media, the phone is powerful enough to play everything, but it's a step back in terms of formats supported. That XviD issue is a pain in the *ss.

Other apps are OK. I'm not a big fan of collecting thousands of them: as for now, only 32 installed. Not running "Androids" at all.

Love all those OS updates. But hate the fact that Sailfish isn't 100% free. Seems it's even less free than Maemo and... Android? Anyway, the phone is as "hackable" as the N900. But missing that Maemo "debianish" way of doing things. Sailfish seems to be in a permanent "beta" state, but that's something N900's users were used to. It's funny.

OS and apps are consuming a lot of RAM. Maemo was OK with just 256 MB and several apps running. It would be almost impossible to run Sailfish on a N900.

Seems battery is better than N900's, but doesn't matter to me. I'm always close to a charger and rarely has dropped under 50%.

Hate the on-screen keyboard, as I've always hated them. But Jolla's is highly customizable and prediction slightly relieves this pain.

Waiting for full copy&paste, 4G and usable and fast browser (Webcat suffers from some lag). XWayland and 100% free OS would be great. As for the hard, two "halves" would make it the perfect handset for me: an E-reader and a hardware keyboard.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mced View Post
Impressed by the GPS app: about 100 times faster than N900's when loading and making "lock".
Actually this is something that I also like a lot. Before Paarlampi update it was a lot slower but now it snaps to lock really quick, even when I usually keep the positioning OFF and only enable it when I use maps.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Riga, Latvia
Hi everyone.
I am very interested in Jolla and Sailfish OS. I even nearly bought the phone back in december. But many month and a few updated after, I want to ask about your experience with the phone on day-to-day tasks.
I have been using the Nokia N9 for two years now, and it has proven, that there is no use for a high end "SGS5/HTC One M8/Sony Z2" phone for me. I just like the way MeeGo looks and feels. Apart from calls and SMS, I use my phone to listen to music (I really like the sound quality), to check something on the web and chat using Facebook. The third party app I use most is Sports Tracker. I don't need tons of apps and games, I just want to be sure, that the phone will not fail me on the tasks I really need.
To sum up - my scenario is around 2h of music playback, hour of web serfing some calls and texts a day.
What I like about Jolla is that it gives a chance to fill the gap with Android apps. Here I have a few questions:
Does Opera work fine?
Does Sports Tracker/Endomondo work?
Does a GoPro app work? (Maybe someone has a GoPro camera )
What is the overall Android performance with the latest update?

So yeah. What do you say? Is the Sailfish OS ready for a regular user?

P.S.: I have had a chance to play with a Jolla for some 5 minutes, when I was in Rovaniemi this february. It seemed smooth, and I liked the way the phone felt in my hand.

Originally Posted by robbiec View Post
Running Update 5. Battery life good, getting a couple of days. Browser is just about usable, navigating sites and tabs is a pain. Loving the music player, simple to use, sound is excellent and navigating my collection is beautifully intuitive. I've lucked into a great mobile / headphone combo with a set of AKG450s. Anyone who has listened to playback has been very very impressed. Best thing is that thereis more to come, my tunes are in mp3 format from google music, starting to convert my CDs and Vinyl collection using Flac this weekend.
Some of the native apps are fantastic, Mitäkuulu, Tweetian, Friends, Sailbox spring to mind immediately as being Tier 1 level, upnpplayer picked up my LG tv and media collection on my Win 8.1 box without any issue.
I have all the available other halves, Snow white, First one, Black and Aloe with Poppy Red on the way, have had no issues with them being recognised or problems with fit. Does mean that I expect to have a full Ambience selection screen in about 3 or 4 months.
Mapping is accurate and reasonably fast, disappointed that I do we do not yet have live directions. I would pay an extra license fee for this functionality.
With regards Android apps, I am trying to keep away from them, only 2 I have so far are Viber and Skype and both are functional.
So to sum up, i'm impressed with the development progress, the UI has won me over completely and i'm looking forward to more native apps and development of Sailfish.
+1
Pretty much exactly my use and thoughts on Jolla so far. I will just extend on how I have been enjoying the music quality and music player. I have been using my Beyerdynamic, Denon in-ears and all of them has sounded like I would expect them to. My Lumia 920, N9, Z10 all did not manage to do that.

I also have to say that the battery life is very impressive. Before the updates it was the worse battery life I have seen in a phone and now it is the best I have had alongside iPhone 5.
I totally get why some are not installing Android apps, but for me how the apps looked and ran was the first positive surprises on the OS/phone and they have only improved this aspect.

Clear negatives for me are the browser that imo simply needs total overhaul. Connection handling has improved, but switching around WiFI, 3G is still a bit weird and connection errors do appear time to time. Stll waiting for that LTE support.

Last edited by tissot; 2014-04-20 at 12:20.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by robbiec View Post

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-04-20 at 12:35.

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
Originally Posted by Pyro_lv View Post
Does Opera work fine?
At the moment, just Android version. It works fine.

So yeah. What do you say? Is the Sailfish OS ready for a regular user?
I don't know what a regular user is.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience