Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Screen cracked across the top single curved line just above the usable area and a small crack to the ear speaker.
No sign of damage or dropping, bit puzzling, first broken screen ever in over 20years of mobile devices.
Gutted.

Last edited by bockersjv; 2014-02-02 at 17:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Sorry, IŽll claim that title. =) I cracked my screen two weeks ago, almost all of the screen splintered. First time for me too. I had it repaired, took it to DNA on Monday afternoon and got it back on Thursday. Quite fast, I would say. Cost 210€.

I got the broken screen back as well and I can post a picture of the backside of it if there are some who are interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
Cost 210€.
Holy crap that's expensive!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dared For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Poland
We all knew this would be very expensive. Small company, not many screens produced, Chinesse won't make a cheaper replacement. Better not to drop your Jolla or bend in your pocket.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szymeczek34 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Stockholm
Dropped mine today (stupid idea to make a call while riding a bike).

It made a couple of somersaults against the asphalt before it finally came to a halt.
No problems except a small dent on the OtherHalf and some scratches on the screen.

As always when you throw your phone into the ground - one has to make sure it lands on the strong edge :)

//j

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jesper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Veska, Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by szymeczek34 View Post
We all knew this would be very expensive. Small company, not many screens produced, Chinesse won't make a cheaper replacement. Better not to drop your Jolla or bend in your pocket.
Hmm, so now what's really the advantage of capatitive touch screen? I thought that gorilla glass is supposed to be scratch & crack resistant. Now it seems to be only marketing words and in fact it's just fragile glass. So I've spent my money on something I'll be afraid to put in my pocket? There seems to be something wrong...

The Following User Says Thank You to jamar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Gorilla Glass is scratch-resistant in that it's harder than metal (sand, which is even harder, can still scratch it, though).
But it's not crack-resistant. AFAIK the glass is put under extremely high pressure to make it that hard, which under some circumstances can produce cracks.
Ever seen an iPhone screen shatter to a thousand pieces? Yes, that's Gorilla Glass.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
Sorry, IŽll claim that title. =) I cracked my screen two weeks ago, almost all of the screen splintered. First time for me too. I had it repaired, took it to DNA on Monday afternoon and got it back on Thursday. Quite fast, I would say. Cost 210€.

I got the broken screen back as well and I can post a picture of the backside of it if there are some who are interested.
Sorry, I'll claim that title. Broke mine 4 days after receiving the phone.

13.12.2013 around 2 PM I dropped my steel credit card wallet on top of Jolla's screen from 10 centimeter.

And 210 euros later I got my Jolla back from OptimaService. I also got the broken screen back. Apparently they had to change everything. Screen, touch elements and the gorilla glass.

It made me wonder tough that why did the glass cracked that easily? Now that I know how expensive the screen replacement is I purchased Insmat screen cover. Even it's not protecting against hits, but I don't want to scratch the screen either with sand, keys etc.

- Hount

Last edited by Hount; 2014-02-07 at 14:24. Reason: Wrong year 2014 -> 2013

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hount For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hount View Post
Sorry, I'll claim that title. Broke mine 4 days after receiving the phone.

13.12.2014 around 2 PM I dropped my steel credit card wallet on top of Jolla's screen from 10 centimeter.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...09416352_n.jpg

And 210 euros later I got my Jolla back from OptimaService. I also got the broken screen back. Apparently they had to change everything. Screen, touch elements and the gorilla glass.

- Hount
Sounds like a lot of bad luck or the screen is of bad quality. Gorilla glass 2 should be quite durable though

The Following User Says Thank You to latency For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
After seeing a tweet back in December of someone who dropped their Jolla and the screen cracked I bought an insurance for my Jolla right away. Hopefully I'll never need to use it

Last edited by mariusmssj; 2014-02-07 at 13:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to mariusmssj For This Useful Post:

Tags
broken screen, jolla phone