Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
We are looking for brave & experienced developers willing to port or develop apps running on top of Qt 5 before its finally release. Currently Qt 5 alpha is released, the beta version is expected during June and the final in August/September.

APPLY and get a chance to win a Nokia N950 or Nokia N9.

This activity is part of the maemo.org 2012 Device Program.

This thread welcomes questions and comments about this activity, as well as feedback on any submissions. Posts from the developers applying are welcome here as well.

EDIT: posted at http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/17623/ as well.

Last edited by qgil; 2012-05-29 at 22:52.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Nice - I've been planning to do this sort of thing anyway.

If there are people willing do some team work in getting stuff ported to Qt5 please ping me. I'll be happy to join in. I'm not that interested in competing who ports the fanciest application to Qt5, I'm in it to learn new stuff.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
25 proposals already at http://wiki.maemo.org/Summer%2712_De...obile_Projects !

You can see the efficiency and hands-on attitude of Qt developers at work.

Tempted of accepting all and calling it a day. Will go through the candidates later today, though. I guess many potential developers spot on for this activity are not even aware yet.

Ah, I looked too fast.

Each developer should have only one entry, please. Not one entry for each project.

Last edited by qgil; 2012-05-30 at 17:54.

Many entries are showing projects using (Harmattan) Qt Quick Components. However, as for today these are not available for Qt 5. Asking around, the opinion is that it shouldn't be rocket science to port them. Anybody interested picking this task?

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Many entries are showing projects using (Harmattan) Qt Quick Components. However, as for today these are not available for Qt 5. Asking around, the opinion is that it shouldn't be rocket science to port them. Anybody interested picking this task?
It really isn't. Those are for example already available in Nemo (Qt4) so that is one of the things in that context that needs to be done to get existing stuff running on top of Qt5. At least I'll be working on it. Quessing they'll gladly accept that into upstream (if the port turns out to be any good). Wouldn't want to see the components being something separate from the Qt project.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
I asked at the Qt Project [Development] list and Simon Hausmann pointed to http://qt.gitorious.org/qt-component...trees/qtquick2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 9 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Finland
I have not developed on Meego before but have been using Qt for years. My proposal would require a third party open source library for it (codec2). This compiles using the usual:

Code:
./configure
make 
make install
Is this easy to do for Meego? I assume I can do the same through the toolchain somehow. For my QtonPi project I was just going to compile on the device as the distros have a full toolchain. I assume an N9 N950 does not have it onboard.

Originally Posted by stuartmarsden View Post
I have not developed on Meego before but have been using Qt for years. My proposal would require a third party open source library for it (codec2). This compiles using the usual:

Code:
./configure
make 
make install
Is this easy to do for Meego? I assume I can do the same through the toolchain somehow. For my QtonPi project I was just going to compile on the device as the distros have a full toolchain. I assume an N9 N950 does not have it onboard.
You'll need to cross compile it. For MeeGo Harmattan that means using it's platform SDK / scratchbox. See http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/platform-sdk/.

Last edited by timoph; 2012-05-30 at 18:59.

Posts: 9 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
You'll need to cross compile it. For MeeGo Harmattan that means using it's platform SDK / scratchbox. See http://harmattan-dev.nokia.com/platform-sdk/.
Thank you that seems simple enough.