Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
Maybe but I haven't seen that completed on my N900
Just look at n900 wlan drivers that have injection, that actually was reverse engineered, but yeah, expecting same effort for all devices is a bit crazy

Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
I'd start by choosing a unique name for the company. Let's call it: "The platform". This is already unique enough as well as being a good Google keyword.

That company would have to listen to the community, take their contributions, deliver what they promise, be good and honest wrt communication.

The only problem of such company would be getting business people who would understand such culture and actually practice it.

Since it is extremely difficult to find such talented management and business people, unfortunately the company might die. Not necessarily related to the management and business behavior

I am afraid the poor engineers would end up in misery yet taking all the heat. One of them might think of asking the community to help with a fiction that involves a world without platforms.

Last edited by MSameer; 2015-11-20 at 23:31.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
I am afraid the poor engineers will end up in misery yet taking all the heat. One of them might think of asking the community to help with a fiction that involves a world without platforms.

I hope you guys are not taking all the heat, seriously. Lots of angry guys (though mostly same trolls as ever, tomi ahonens who predicted a year ago that a company who had slight chance to succeed in the first place will not win, few full-time CEO daltonist duck trolls (I'm a CEO, but will remain anonymous duck quack quack), few haters and crazy guys) around, hope the people who actually contributed to the whole ordeal still have the will to progress the whole ship/barge/dinghy forwards

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I hope you guys are not taking all the heat, seriously. Lots of angry guys (though mostly same trolls as ever, tomi ahonens who predicted a year ago that a company who had slight chance to succeed in the first place will not win, few full-time CEO daltonist duck trolls (I'm a CEO, but will remain anonymous duck quack quack), few haters and crazy guys) around, hope the people who actually contributed to the whole ordeal still have the will to progress the whole ship/barge/dinghy forwards
Come on, this is all fiction!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
Come on, this is all fiction!
Phew! For a moment you got me there, but only in fiction land, right? Right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Optimising the mess that is X is just as viable option to me as 'providing OS for all the abandoned HW', if this was a one weekend excercise, sure. Whole Jolla team worked for over a year to stabilise their own Jolla phone. Libhybris as revolutionary as it is, is brought down by the fact chinese manufacturers develop drivers only until it miraculously works for this specific configuration. With open drivers the latter at least would be a possibility (which could happen with tablet?)
In MY fictional world, Android didn't fork the kernel, and they used a standard C library, forcing all the binary hardware driver creators to write drivers for the standard kernel. They also used a stripped-down, open-source, GLES compositing, X server.

Even with all these differences in my fictional world, however, by 2015 all of the Android vendors are on different, ancient versions of the kernel, held back because the binary drivers would need to be updated to work with the new kernel, and the HW vendors can't be bothered.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
In MY fictional world, Android didn't fork the kernel, and they used a standard C library, forcing all the binary hardware driver creators to write drivers for the standard kernel. They also used a stripped-down, open-source, GLES compositing, X server.

Even with all these differences in my fictional world, however, by 2015 all of the Android vendors are on different, ancient versions of the kernel, held back because the binary drivers would need to be updated to work with the new kernel, and the HW vendors can't be bothered.
Lol, so in the end, we'd be still in the same mess more or less, we need bigger dreamers to make it work (even in the lala land)

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by fk_lx View Post
No sense in commenting above.
Then refrain from saying such things in the near future.

What you are writing is not true - you can buy Tizen smartwatches in USA and Europe. Regarding the smartphones (probably that's what you had on mind) - Samsung Z3 will be launched in 11 European countries (btw. Russia is also in Europe if you haven't noticed yet).
Semantics. I was talking about handsets only. And "will be" is not the same as "has already happened". Go back, read what I said... where it's been released has been limited thus far. Present tense was used and should continue to be used.

Ubuntu Touch is not a failure, it steadily develops, step by step and devices in 2016 will have the long awaited convergence. They don't have financial troubles or employeers leaving en masse.
Losses in 2013 of $21 Million USD
Cashflow negative
Canonical IPO... still delayed.
Ubuntu Touch sales... 25k (unofficially)

There's other pointers that the demand for Ubuntu Touch is rather low compared to even the Tizen phones.

If you said RedHat, I'd agree. Canonical is still losing more money than gaining. Who knows about their engineers, but they do use libhybris on Ubuntu Touch. And that came from the engineer(s) at Jolla. Imagine that...

When it comes to smartphones, first Tizen product - Samsung Z1 was targeted at low-end, it was not meant to compete with top Galaxy models.
And the Tizen phones have sold less than the more expensive Galaxy phones. You have no point whatsoever. It sold less, and is not a full-blown success yet.

I'll give you an example of a much smaller team, consisting of 39 people that weren't the "best & brightest former Nokia/Meego employees" and achieved a lot.
And Nokia got sold to Microsoft, MeeGo is now dormant - all but community - and the folks that worked on Harmattan are part of the rockstar engineers at Jolla.

And it runs Android or (now) Jolla. Not "FairphoneOS" or anything they've built from the ground up like Sailfish. You've yet to deliver one example of a company that has, and I repeat: 1) launched a phone, 2) created a SDK, 3) produced an OS, 4) updated their OS, 5) produced libhybris (used by: Ubuntu Touch, WebOS and others) and 6) got tablets out in the hands of core developers.

Thanks for trying though.

Now, can we allow this thread on an open discussion about things that are interesting occur instead? Disruption doesn't mean rehashing the past ad nauseum. This is about what can be done presently and looking forward.

You really have no bit in this conversation worth noting.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Lol, so in the end, we'd be still in the same mess more or less, we need bigger dreamers to make it work (even in the lala land)
This... all day everyday. The fact that people are looking where the target is now should be avoided at all times when talking about progress.

I'd say that a lot of folks in this thread are doing just that. I love javispedro's statement "Imagine the smartphone dead"... if only it were to be treated as such, some progress in a more usable format could eventually happen.

Sorry, I find these kind of "what if" discussions absolutely necessary and exciting. Carry on...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Sorry, I find these kind of "what if" discussions absolutely necessary and exciting. Carry on...
I found your Ubuntu stats fascinating, 25k with Canonical backing, Dave will have another hate target I guess:
As expected, many issues remain unresolved for OTA-8, the most important one being the inability to use the copy/paste context menu in the Web Browser app, which will be fixed in Ubuntu Touch OTA-9, due for release on January 20, 2016.
Which is already 2 weeks late by their stated 6 weeks update release schedule. Wonder how much MS invested in WP by now for 1.5% of market, pretty sure more than 50mil and pretty sure Canonical is also an order of magnitude higher than that. Crazy world is crazy

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:

Tags
brainfiction, brainstorming, fiction, jolla or iphone, neigh!, unicorn device