Title says it all, as pichlo put it, it does seem there is not enough sales (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=21), there are old timers developers quitting (sure, other reasons), but it seems there is just not enough interest. Now sure pr campaign sounds nice but most tmoers aren't guys with 50k followers, so that is not gonna happen. We can buy OHs and another phone (though with the current discount no idea if jolla.makes any profit on those or just hopes to hit numbers for other deals), google keeps tight grip on manufacturers with its android alliance. One thing that will definitely help is great OH keyboard, there are thousands of android geeks longing for hwkbd, so when dirk finishes there should be a noticeable jump (android apps work and for the hackers it is even more open both in firmware and in open collaboration). What can we do? (one thing I noticed is when teeeting filiitbijbo(?), guy who ports games to linux for living (now that linux is bonus for steam) he was very interested hearing about wayland, maybe reaching out to such guys?)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Just to point out few things I'm afraid won't work:

emailing your phone company - 50-100 emails are unlikely to convince them (see gamergate with thousands of emails sent out, intel/mercedes/nissan is all they achieved so far, not to diminish it, but we have much lowrr numbers)
retweets/fb retweets or whatever it's called - again, we don't have guys that are 'popular'

Maybe getting a fundraiser going to reveng wifi? Pentesting community is some 50k sold devices right there since nokia no longer supports n900

edit: and worst part, linux guys, who originally dismissed android as a java ******** by now are accustommed to it, they learned how to tweak/work around it, this seems like the worst loss, nobody cares for proper linux phone it seems ):
then again, android L is for lockdown (as per high visibility thread on xda) maybe as google gets even greedier hadk/android compatibility can kick in... i hope

edit2: not sure if everyone noticed but hadk thing is based work, even if jolla does not manage they made their work immortal, anyone can go out and port sfos on any future device (assuming android lives that long), thanks guys for that, having android cl for so long o can definitely jump out of it, while only fremantle user thought this is a big deal, using 0 android apps right now (ok, here brought me back to install it, but still, all is fluff exxept that)

Last edited by szopin; 2014-10-24 at 18:29.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Would be nice if Jolla could still release a device in 2015 as they mentioned they hope to do early this year.

Yes most Linux guys are happy with Android, I am not one of them. Another chance for a more regular Linux phone is the Ubuntu touch phones that are supposed to be coming. Ubuntu's interface is not as nice and I prefer the way Sailfish does multitasking but may be more open than Sailfish and seems to have two phone makers on board.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to salyavin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
We can Point them in the right direction.(If they are ready to listen)

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by salyavin View Post
Would be nice if Jolla could still release a device in 2015 as they mentioned they hope to do early this year.

Yes most Linux guys are happy with Android, I am not one of them. Another chance for a more regular Linux phone is the Ubuntu touch phones that are supposed to be coming. Ubuntu's interface is not as nice and I prefer the way Sailfish does multitasking but may be more open than Sailfish and seems to have two phone makers on board.
Not really sure how ubuntu helps jolla. And since they haven't even released mir on desktop i somehow doubt it will work on mobile from the get go. Already year late? Only good thing is it will also use libhybris, so getting sfos on ubuntu hw should be simple, as ubuntu will do the hw driver qa.

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
If they don't earn enough money, i don't understand, why they don't sell spare batteries. I think they could make some profit with batteries. There are still no batteries on the market, so they don't need to sell them just for ten quids.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
We can Point them in the right direction.(If they are ready to listen)
thanks dave, but i doubt renaming thè jolla to jphone is suddenly going to sell millions

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
If they don't earn enough money, i don't understand, why they don't sell spare batteries. I think they could make some profit with batteries. There are still no batteries on the market, so they don't need to sell them just for ten quids.
assuming they can get a fiver of each 30$ battery sale, with close to 20k devices already out there this will pay for a month or two, but that is jolla's decision/work, wanted this thread to concentrate on finding any helpful things the community could do

edit: then again, if community can come up with sensible business decisions jolla overlooked, why not

One of the things that are probably bit late would be throwing 10k in devices to developers here. 40 freemangordons/marxians/appos would not only provide a constant stream of apps but probably led reboots would be gone by now as end users would look into them (consider that without kp n900 can't really survive a week uptime, all thanks to community)

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
thanks dave, but i doubt renaming thè jolla to jphone is suddenly going to sell millions
Np, you would be supriced what the right things could do

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post: