Notices

Poll: new map sucks?
Poll Options
new map sucks?

does any of you has encountered this problem, which you cannot use "find places" in N900 map application without internet connection.

any idea how to solve it?

2. sencond problem

i have downloaded map into handset already. when i start the map app, it keep ask to connect to the internet. anyway to stop? like in n95, before the map start, it will ask you if you want to connect or not and it will pop up again. this ovi map is worse than old ones. so disppointed.

3. this ovi map app will recievce any gps data without internet. how suck is this!!!!

any ideas ~~~

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
1. Yes, because this version of OVI map for the N900 doesn't allowed offline searching for database. To solve it you must use data connection lol. Else just pray to Nokia to bring a better map application

2. To disable the network connection is to go to "SETTING" -> Location -> Untick the Network positioning "ENABLE" then save it. Close the map and reopen it. Voila..

3. Yes this map app does work without internet positioning. But it will take some patience out of you to make it work. First download the Location Test app from Repository "Extra-Devel". Then run the app and let it sit until it find the Satellites and connect then launch the map. This may take quite long some minutes or even hours

Recommendation: Get the GPS locked with the network positioning first then close the map down before you leave your house. This way it would speeding up the GPS lock faster without network positioning.

Attention: Enable Extra-devel and download application from Extra may cause harm to your device. Be sure with what you're doing. Other wise stay away.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
thanks for explanation.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Boston, MA
The maps application is decent, the only thing that sucks about it is its inability to be used without a connection!

If it was more like OVI maps v3 on symbian then it would be a great product, its got a ways to go though.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
It's likely that the maps are bitmap rather than vector. You need vector maps to be able find places or develop routes when offline. Maemo Mapper for example on the N810 is like that. I always do my routes the night before on my desktop system and send the resulting GPX files to the tablet. You'll need to download whatever maps you need while connected.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

Last edited by fragos; 2010-01-06 at 05:23.

Apparently, you can get offline maps by following these instructions (will work for N900-OVI Maps 1 as well): http://handphone-solution.blogspot.c...0-without.html

Originally Posted by unkno View Post
Apparently, you can get offline maps by following these instructions (will work for N900-OVI Maps 1 as well): http://handphone-solution.blogspot.c...0-without.html
the problem is not about getting the map onto the handset. I did it already.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
1. Yes, because this version of OVI map for the N900 doesn't allowed offline searching for database. To solve it you must use data connection lol. Else just pray to Nokia to bring a better map application

2. To disable the network connection is to go to "SETTING" -> Location -> Untick the Network positioning "ENABLE" then save it. Close the map and reopen it. Voila..

3. Yes this map app does work without internet positioning. But it will take some patience out of you to make it work. First download the Location Test app from Repository "Extra-Devel". Then run the app and let it sit until it find the Satellites and connect then launch the map. This may take quite long some minutes or even hours

Recommendation: Get the GPS locked with the network positioning first then close the map down before you leave your house. This way it would speeding up the GPS lock faster without network positioning.

Attention: Enable Extra-devel and download application from Extra may cause harm to your device. Be sure with what you're doing. Other wise stay away.

Soooo they're effectively forcing you to HAVE to get a cellular provider for this crippled junk? huh! That's worse than I'd expected.

Originally Posted by dongzhe View Post
the problem is not about getting the map onto the handset. I did it already.
I'm not too sure what the problem is then. I'm able to use the maps with gps without internet. All i do is click outside of the box when it asks to select a connection. However, since I do not have a data plan, I have turned off Network positioning under Location in settings. The gps signal works fine, although it takes a bit longer to obtain a signal. I'm only able to get a signal outdoors with a clear view of the sky though.

I have a question for you, did you follow the steps on that website to download the maps onto your headset? I have yet to try it.

Edit: Seems like this is what maxximuscool said.

i can search without internet connectio ....