Closed Thread
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
financial support (from NOKIA) stopping on 31-dec-2012...

EDIT: the currant contract for financing the web site is ending on 31-dec-2012; it is (as far as i'm aware of) not stated yet whether it will not be renewed after that...
That rises two questions:

1. How much does this website currently cost?

2. Assuming Nokia will not continue to support TMO, can the community just take over the existing infrastructure (forums, repos etc. ; maybe under a different name) without having to copy all the contents to another site (which would be very difficult anyway if done legally correct)?
I'd like to see a definitive answer (in written form signed by an official) by the end of summer. For now I'd settle for: "Let's see what I can do."

Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
if nokia pull the plug what will this community do ? and probably what we can do ?

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
IIRC all of those question were already discussed and options given.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
IIRC all of those question were already discussed and options given.
can you provide me a link for IIRC ? i want to see what options we have.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by panjgoori View Post
can you provide me a link for IIRC ? i want to see what options we have.
IIRC is an acronym for "If I Remember Correctly". Anyway just go backwards some pages in this thread and you'll find the discussion on the topic.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
(in hardly more space it takes to tell ppl to go & RTFM (right?) one might as well share the info already gathered, no?)

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
That rises two questions:

1. How much does this website currently cost?
this site is made up of two parts;
  • Talk Maemo Org (TMO) which is hosted by an independent person who receives money from NOKIA for the hosting
  • the other menus above (Downloads, Community, Dev & News (?) which are hosted by a company with a direct contract with NOKIA

i can't remember seeing a number being formulated for TMO and the rest obviously is out of our knowledge (business contract between NOKIA & some hosting site)

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
2. Assuming Nokia will not continue to support TMO, can the community just take over the existing infrastructure (forums, repos etc. ; maybe under a different name) without having to copy all the contents to another site (which would be very difficult anyway if done legally correct)?
I'd like to see a definitive answer (in written form signed by an official) by the end of summer. For now I'd settle for: "Let's see what I can do."
the principal problem here (IIRC) is that NOKIA does not repeat not want to give up the Maemo.org domain name.
considering the MeeGo / Harmattan denomination of the N9's OS, no surprise there.
there is a sister site of TMO (Internet Tablet Talk - Forums) that simply redirects to TMO.
the same person who is hosting TMO also hosts Internet Tablet Talk and could thus take over the rest of the Maemo.org site if NOKIA was to shut it down (by stopping the founding), but, obviously, the cost for the additional parts would still have to be paid for (+ TMO as NOKIA would probably also stop paying the bills for TMO)

again, NOKIA wants to keep Maemo.org, most likely to support N9 customers, so it wouldn't cost them much more to go on supporting the N9's predecessors (770, N8x0 and N900) as well...
(that's just my two cents...)
despite the common critic that NOKIA is not supporting the OS200x line of products anymore, the simple fact to pay the bills for (T)MO & thus providing an infrastructure for the community is also providing support for the devices

Future of Maemo 5 Fremantle is sort of a doomsday thread where various solutions were discussed in case NOKIA pulls the plug on 31st of Dec...
Pali provides a script to download all the Maemo packages;
personally i recently discovered w3mir that seems to do the same job for extras, extras-testing & extras-dev and allows to filter the packages (by name, extensions or even directory)
still need Pali's script for the NOKIA repositories, though.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US

Future of Maemo 5 Fremantle is sort of a doomsday thread where various solutions were discussed in case NOKIA pulls the plug on 31st of Dec...
Pali provides a script to download all the Maemo packages;
personally i recently discovered w3mir that seems to do the same job for extras, extras-testing & extras-dev and allows to filter the packages (by name, extensions or even directory)
still need Pali's script for the NOKIA repositories, though.
thanks. I'd like to hear more about this w3mir thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
(in hardly more space it takes to tell ppl to go & RTFM (right?) one might as well share the info already gathered, no?)

this site is made up of two parts;
  • Talk Maemo Org (TMO) which is hosted by an independent person who receives money from NOKIA for the hosting
  • the other menus above (Downloads, Community, Dev & News (?) which are hosted by a company with a direct contract with NOKIA
plus the repositories, autobuilder, wiki, garage, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
thanks. I'd like to hear more about this w3mir thing.
You only need a shell one liner command to download all of the repository content. And no I'm not providing the command here because I know several people will try it (without a good reason to do so) and basically cause a DDOS against the repositories.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Oh yes, i'm so sorry that after having to often rely same information over & over in my day2day job, i went sloppy _here_ and didn't also extracted all the relevant bits'n'pieces from this very thread. Don't taze me!

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
council