Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

Originally Posted by ninjaboxergirl View Post
This IS a stupid question, I know, and i apologise for it's Noobiness, but how do you get Voice Navigation on Ovi maps?
Ovi Maps on N900 doesn't support Voice Naviation at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to sljonson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ South Yorkshire
Originally Posted by sljonson View Post
Ovi Maps on N900 doesn't support Voice Naviation at the moment.
hmm.thats an oversight isn't it? I can't look at GPS and the road at the same time properly

hello Guys

after playing with my n900 over the last few days i decided to test the gps on the phone.

all seemed fine, was not giving me a accurate reading "was telling me i was about 500m from where i was actually at in MAPS app".

so i went into settings locations and decided to turn of network positioning. unchecked box, went back into MAPS and now i cant get a lock!!! went outdoors tried for a good 10 mins to get a lock but no lock. so i went into omweather set a station to pick location through gps, but still no luck as it does not pick up gps, turned network positionning back on started to give me a lock in the same position as before. and picked up location in omweather

should i be worried does this mean i have faulty hardware guys please help

wierd thing was when i connected to a wall charger and had the network positioning disabled i could get positioning? when i removed the charger it will losse connection?

Seems as though qgil thinks that WORKSFORME is an acceptable resolution to the N900 GPS problem. I suggest that you might like to head over to bugzilla and convince him that he's wrong in this case.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

My gps locks-on in about 4sec but if i'm in my home my GPS show i'm about 400 meters out of my home but it works perfectly outside and I never seen a phone's GPS lock on as fast as the N900

Originally Posted by soleil View Post
My gps locks-on in about 4sec but if i'm in my home my GPS show i'm about 400 meters out of my home but it works perfectly outside and I never seen a phone's GPS lock on as fast as the N900
Try using it without any network connectivity and see how it is then.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Same here. GPS donīt work without a network connectivity .

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin TX
Same issue here. t-mobile 3G data enabled on an old sim.

Got it to work last night briefly by allowing google talk to display my location data.
Switched it off & rebooted to see if would work with Maps.
Now doesn't appear to work. Just a flashing icon searching for satellites.

Anyone got it to work?

is there any other GPS app that we can use on N900 ? Any chance of google maps ?

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Compare with N810 gps poll: are you happy with your gps, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=24913

Not happy 61.3 % (yes problem)
Happy 38.7 % (No problem)

The N900 gps poll, today, also broke down to 1/3 and 2/3, just like the N810 poll, though the Yes problem vs No problem is inverted. Interesting. Would be interest to see how a N810 owner now has N900 vote today. sachin007... mind to comment on the gps N900 vs N810? lock time and stability?

bun
Not happy with the map software compared to N810. The stupid, crazy offliine behavior hasn't been fixed yet.

Don't complain about the GPS receiver though. You can not expect that the radio pereformance from these tiny modules will be comparable to dedicated gps devices.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post: