I even posted in the previous thread that had asked the same question and got no response.

I used to use my 8 gb kingston with my e71 and inserted it into my n900. I've rebooted a few times and got nothing. I tried the df -h code in xterminal and its not recognized.

I would appreciate it if someone could help with this issue. If it matters I use OS X.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by fidel cashlow View Post
I even posted in the previous thread that had asked the same question and got no response.

I used to use my 8 gb kingston with my e71 and inserted it into my n900. I've rebooted a few times and got nothing. I tried the df -h code in xterminal and its not recognized.

I would appreciate it if someone could help with this issue. If it matters I use OS X.
I've had this happen some times.

In reference to this the N900 will not mount the MicroSD card if it thinks the back cover is open. Try taking the cover off and put it on again or make sure it is tight. On the back cover you can see a little square metal piece. This is what the N900 uses to detect the cover being closed.

If that doesn't solve it take the card out. Start the phone up without it and then turn it off. Put the card in and turn it back on.

My N900 did this to my card for the first few days. After me doing the above and making sure the rear lid is tight on it stopped playing around and has since consistently mounted the card.

Last edited by olighak; 2009-12-10 at 01:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
maybe the card is just incompatible to the phone?
i hear that some specific memory-cards do not work on some specific devices.

anyone else here with a 8gb kingston not working on the n900?

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I think checking dmesg log (in Xterminal) may reveal some hints what is wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
I had the same problem as you said you searched you probably found my post too. Mine was corrupted which I came to know when I used the memory card reader on my computer and try to use the same card on my camera both said corrupted memory but N900 did not mention anything,
You might wanna get a camera or a memory card reader and see if it will work with another device.

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
I think checking dmesg log (in Xterminal) may reveal some hints what is wrong.
what exactly am I supposed to be looking at?

Originally Posted by fidel cashlow View Post
what exactly am I supposed to be looking at?
All of the drivers and subsystems output status messages to tell you what's going on. The command 'dmesg' dumps the kernel's log buffer. What you see on a line is a time stamp' [ dddddd.dddd]', the driver or subsystem name, colon, and then the log message.

In this instance what we are interested in is the mmc drivers (MMC is the original form factor of SD cards). There is only 1 reader in the N900, so it's number will be 0 (zero). So the string of interest is 'mmc0'. And this being a POSIX computer, you have most every tool you need. So filtering is super easy.

dmesg | grep -i 'mmc0:'

That command will show you all of the log messages that the card reader driver outputs. You don't need to be root to run the command. And it will not hurt anything at all.

And here is a sample.

$ dmesg | grep mmc0
[ 2480.376251] mmc0: cover is open, card is now inaccessible
[ 2480.685546] mmc0: card 0002 removed
[ 2509.439453] mmc0: cover is closed, card is now accessible
[ 2509.936462] mmc0: host does not support reading read-only switch. assuming write-enable.
[ 2509.936492] mmc0: new high speed SDHC card at address 0002
[ 2509.995697] mmcblk0: mmc0:0002 00000 7.38 GiB
[ 2509.996063] mmcblk0: p1
This shows that I removed my back cover, and putting the cover back on, and the system recognizing the 8G SD card. The last line shows the kernel reading the parition table and seeing the 1 partition on the card. The actual mounting of the card into the file system is not done in the kernel. It's done in what's called user space (outside of the kernel). So those event's won't show in the kernel log.

If you can see similar entries for you card and still not visible on the N900, the file system maybe corrupted such that the N900 can't/won't mount it. Then I could copy all of the stuff from the SD card, reformat it, and put the contents back on there.

Last edited by sljonson; 2009-12-10 at 16:27.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sljonson For This Useful Post:
thanks i entered the code and got

[ 4433.390686] mmc0: cover is open, card is now inaccessible
[ 4501.516174] mmc0: cover is closed, card is now accessible
[ 4502.076995] mmc0: error -110 whilst initialising SD card

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
After looking at google it seems this might be a kernel bug - I don't really know, but this patch on the kernel mailing list is suggestive.

If this is the case, maybe it could be fixed in a future firmware, but outside of that it's probably not going to work.

It could well be something else though! It might be worth filing a bug report about it all the same.

Originally Posted by kwotski View Post
After looking at google it seems this might be a kernel bug - I don't really know, but this patch on the kernel mailing list is suggestive.

If this is the case, maybe it could be fixed in a future firmware, but outside of that it's probably not going to work.

It could well be something else though! It might be worth filing a bug report about it all the same.
How do i fill a bug report? Is there a method to do so from the phone?

Tags
bum didn't search