Notices

Claws-mail occassionally hangs when I reply to a message. Eventually I get a popup window that says the program is not responding with an offer to kill it.

The problem seems to be related to the message to which I'm replying, and I have not noticed any consistent pattern. The workaround is to use the stylus to select text in the offending message, then click the reply icon.

I've seen this behavior with short messages, long messages, etc.

Anyone else seeing this?

Haven't filed a bug yet, but I will. Just looking for more data points right now.

Do you mean when you try to send the msg?

Originally Posted by claws View Post
Do you mean when you try to send the msg?
No, it hangs when I tap the "reply" icon on the toolbar.

Scenario:

1. In the Main Window viewing the summary of messages in my inbox, I select a message.

2. I tap the "Open email" icon on the toolbar.

3. In the Message Window, I tap the "Reply to Message" icon on the tool bar.

At this point if I'm in full-screen mode, normally I see a short flash of a non full-screen before it quickly switches to full screen mode in the Compose Window. However, when I reply to certain messages, it hangs displaying a blank non full-screen window. If I fire up xterm and run "top" it shows claws-mail consuming 97% of the CPU.

Not related to full-screen mode. If I stay in non full-screen (i.e. with the tablet's Home toolbar on the left and across the top) and go through the same steps, it still hangs.

Definitely message related. If replying to a certain message hangs, it will always hang, i.e. not dependent on other activities such as synchronizing my inbox.

I've tried waiting it out, but it's stayed hung for as long as I've had patience. If I try to close the window by tapping the "X" icon, nothing happens right away, but after a short wait it puts up the little alert popup saying that claws-mail is not responding and offers to close the application. And tapping "OK" does kill it.

The workaround is to select all the text in the offending message before tapping "Reply to Message". If I do that, the normal reply process works.

I'm running the latest claws, version 3.4.0 according to the help screen, on a N800 running the final OS2007 release.

I do not normally use the external editor (leafpad) but if I enable that, it still hangs when replying.

If I skip opening the message and reply from the Main Window message summary view, it still hangs.

As I said in my intial post, I can find no commonality in the offending messages. It's not related to the sender, because I can reply to most messages, but just now it happened again when trying to reply to a regular correspondent.

Weird.

Fiddling around with this. Looks like messages sent as RTF are the culprit. More investigation required...

Yep, it looks like replying to RTF messages hangs claws. Workaround is to notice the miniature MS Word icon on the right side, then select the text in the message before tapping the reply icon.

Originally Posted by logicprobe View Post
Yep, it looks like replying to RTF messages hangs claws. Workaround is to notice the miniature MS Word icon on the right side, then select the text in the message before tapping the reply icon.
Is it possible for you to forward me one of these offending messages? Use 'Forward as attachment' and send it to me here: paul@claws-mail.org

Thanks

Well.... It's not all RTF messages. I just sent myself one from my work account, and Claws did not hang when I tried to reply.

I have several examples that do hang Claws though. I will forward a message that hangs, and I will also forward the one I just sent myself that does not hang.

Thanks for looking into this.