Active Topics

Notices

Hello,

I'm currently working on making gPodder more usable on maemo. Quite some progress has already been made and it would be nice to have some feedback.

Here are some noteworthy changes:
  • Threaded feed updater (multiple channels update at a time)
  • Ability to update individual channels (from the subscriptions menu)
  • Various performance improvements (with DB help from Justin Forest)

You can find all the changes in my maemo-optimization git repo.
A ticket has been opened on the gPodder bug tracker for these changes.

And finally, here are pre-built deb packages.

Enjoy,

nick

Last edited by nikosapi; 2008-10-02 at 23:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikosapi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by nikosapi View Post
Hello,

I'm currently working on making gPodder more usable on maemo. Quite some progress has already been made and it would be nice to have some feedback.

Here are some noteworthy changes:
  • Threaded feed updater (multiple channels update at a time)
  • Ability to update individual channels (from the subscriptions menu)
  • Various performance improvements (with DB help from Justin Forest)

You can find all the changes in the my maemo-optimization git repo.
A ticket has been opened on the gPodder bug tracker for these changes.

And finally, here are pre-built deb packages.

Enjoy,

nick

Hey wow!! Thanks a lot for this!! I love the application for what it does.. but it definitely needs performance fixes. There have been occasions where the app was so busy and took over to completely that the tablet thinks it's stuck and reboots. I'm not sure if that's also addressed, but that's sure part of it. (Maybe a renice value needs to be set so that it doesn't take over so completely?)

Thanks again!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
I also agree with danramos. gpodder is an excellent application, but as I wrote in another thread, it needs the following: internal viewer/player integrated with forward and backward buttons so that we dont have to go back to select another thread/feed, so much memory hungry that I cant update more than 2 or three feeds at a time etc, it hangs if I enable update on startup since it tends to do it taking lot of memory, the tray icon doesnt work and often takes the shape of the adjacent icon on the system tray.

Last edited by svrkprabhakar; 2008-09-30 at 03:57.

By the way can you help me to locate the backup or feed storing file? I updated my N810 with the new update (not flashed but software update without flashing) and I lost all the feeds. Unfortunately the backup option of N810 doesnt backup the gpodder feeds though it backs up the rss reader! Appreciate if you can let me know how can I restore my earlier gpodder feeds.

Originally Posted by svrkprabhakar View Post
By the way can you help me to locate the backup or feed storing file?
I'm not sure what version you were using but in recent versions the file you are looking for should be in /media/mmc2/gpodder/

The file is channels.opml. If you'd like to import feeds into gPodder using that file, go to: Menu-->Subscriptions-->Import podcasts from OPML file.

Posts: 1,391 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by svrkprabhakar View Post
Unfortunately the backup option of N810 doesnt backup the gpodder feeds though it backs up the rss reader!
This will hopefully be addressed by http://bugs.gpodder.org/show_bug.cgi?id=191 soon.

As Nick already stated, gPodder currently stores all its configuration and downloads on mmc2 in a directory called "gpodder", so it should be unaffected by any OS upgrade, even it incorporates flashing the device.

Your bug with gPodder losing its configuration after the update might be related to http://bugs.gpodder.org/show_bug.cgi?id=204 ?

I'd like to give this a try to help out.

A couple of questions:

1. How do I backup my subscription list and record of episodes downloaded and listened to?
Also, how would I go about reverting back to the released version of gpodder after trying this version?

2. How do I install this?
Is it a matter of downloading the file to the N8xx then doing something like
Code:
dpkg -i gpodderxxx.deb
. If so, which directory should I download the deb to? Which of the files in http://nikosapi.org/gpodder/maemo/ should I grab - the latest?

3. Where do I post feedback or bugs on this version? In this thread or where?

Thanks.

Tags
gpodder