Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Will Intel have it's own UX for phones or is Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo the only smartphone UX for MeeGo?
There will be a basic reference UI that, i'm guessing, is owned by Intel. There were screen shots released about a month ago. Nokia will have it's own Meego UI as well as any other manufacture that opts to use Meego on there device.

I assumed on the telephony stuff. But only assume. How do you know it uses it, and "other" things? I would really like to know more.

And no, the UI is not everything, but it's a lot for general users. And I don't see the Meego netbook UI being even close to adaptable for a 3.5 inch screen.

Originally Posted by sevla View Post
Meego uses Maemo's telephony stack as well as other internal components.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
How would telephony be useful in a netbook?

WWAN/3G modem is one thing. But telephony?

There will be a basic reference UI that, i'm guessing, is owned by Intel. There were screen shots released about a month ago. Nokia will have it's own Meego UI as well as any other manufacture that opts to use Meego on there device.
The way i have understood is that Nokia's MeeGo will not have just different UI, but the middleware is different to Intels Meego too.

That's why Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo is not even MeeGo product, but instance fo MeeGo.

MeeGo is modular. That's the reason why the first releases consisted in kernels and the such. I bet Nokia has been already working on its own UX with older builds, it's the only way they will be on time to release a device this year.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
How would telephony be useful in a netbook?

WWAN/3G modem is one thing. But telephony?
I think you answered your own question...with so many netbooks and laptops coming with GSM/3G/4G adapters, it makes sense to support telephony functions.

Plus you'll probably see Meego on more tablets/MIDs/whatever, in addition to car PCs (BMW) which may have phones built in.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
I assumed on the telephony stuff. But only assume. How do you know it uses it, and "other" things? I would really like to know more.

And no, the UI is not everything, but it's a lot for general users. And I don't see the Meego netbook UI being even close to adaptable for a 3.5 inch screen.

A lot of the components below the UX layer are heavily contributed to by Nokia engineers and Nokia contractors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post

There is a different Handheld interface that will be used for, well, handhelds. Also, you don't have to assume anything. It's all documented and h as been discussed at length on this forum.

Originally Posted by tissot View Post
The way i have understood is that Nokia's MeeGo will not have just different UI, but the middleware is different to Intels Meego too.

That's why Nokia's Harmattan/MeeGo is not even MeeGo product, but instance fo MeeGo.
That's not how i understood it but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure both share the same code base.

Documentation is what I was after. And 'discussed in a forum' is not.
The chart offered above was helpful.

Also, you don't have to assume anything. It's all documented and h as been discussed at length on this forum.