Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Good news!
Do you think it is possible to have multiboot so i can keep my android install and play around porting on a different image?
I will have some sparetime this month and if someone tells me where to start i am quite confident i could at least test some interesing things.

Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
I plan to sell mine OnePlus 2 and try to order Moto Z (Play) somewhere for cheap (maybe 2.taobao.com?), so I can start with SFOS port.
Please get a Moto z, it is much thinner and has blazing fast qualcomm 820 and better screen.
I am willing to support you with 100 bucks via paypal if you purchase whatever moto z series device you can get.
As you have seen the price drop to 249€ of moto z here in germany, i guess it will be possible to negotiate down to that pricelevel at many resellers also in your area soon.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-05-08 at 10:49.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by TheKit View Post
mal had some success with Lineage 14-based tree on #sailfishos-porters. It's not very different from cm13 from libhybris point of view.

I plan to sell mine OnePlus 2 and try to order Moto Z (Play) somewhere for cheap (maybe 2.taobao.com?), so I can start with SFOS port.
Perhaps I can lend you a spare Moto Z or Z play for development, after our internal testing. Not 100% sure at the moment as product still under development and software needs to be tested... If it's not too late.

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Please get a Moto z, it is much thinner and has blazing fast qualcomm 820 and better screen.
I am willing to support you with 100 bucks via paypal if you purchase whatever moto z series device you can get.
As you have seen the price drop to 249€ of moto z here in germany, i guess it will be possible to negotiate down to that pricelevel at many resellers also in your area soon.
Aha actually my opinion is completely opposite

Having used both devices and Z Play to me is much much better:

- I don't know the reason behind but my Z play with Qualcomm 625 runs quicker than the Z with 820, in terms of app launching and switch. I don't play heavy graphic games on phone but in general use I can't see any lag on Z Play compared with Z. And can't feel any difference between 3GB and 4GB RAM

- Moto Z's lack of 3.5mm port is a pure headache... As it's battery is so small, when travelling especially long distance a juice pack is definitely needed. Then you can't listen to music and charge at the same time. On my flight to Chicago I have to unplug headset to get phone charged, then unplug the adaptor to use on another device, then almost lost the adaptor. It's just annoying!

- In terms of screen, I agree Moto Z's is better and sharper than Z Play - Only if you look very very closely. I doubt it has a big difference in general. And to me 1080p is a much more reasonable choice on a 5.5 inch size. (Even 720p if I would decide, to save battery even more...)

- Battery life Z Play is about 2-3X than Z in my everyday use (same app installed, same exchange service running, same network, same background processes...)

- The only 2 advantage of Z over Z play is: 1 being slimmer, looks nicer with any mods attached. And 2 Metal on the sides has a much better and premium finish than the Z Play.

My conclusion is Moto Z is a device to "show" and Z Play is the one to use.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Good to see where opinions differ

Can not tell about z play but moto z is completely instant and near lag free for me on stock rom and lineage. Can not quite imagine how it could be noticably faster but as you actually can compare, i trust your judgement.
Maybe the z play feels faster because it has less pixels to render?

bt headphones user here, so 3,5mm is not an issue for me.
Battery is 1/3 bigger on play but even the Moto z has had >30% left for me when i went to sleep.

It comes down to the screen and build quality as you said.
I guess with added mod, any mm less will also be nice.
But i did not actually look out to have a moto z.
A play would have done it but then there was that 249€ offer i could not resist and now i have to convince myself that it was a good decision

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Good to see where opinions differ

Can not tell about z play but moto z is completely instant and near lag free for me on stock rom and lineage. Can not quite imagine how it could be noticably faster but as you actually can compare, i trust your judgement.
Maybe the z play feels faster because it has less pixels to render?
One possibility is my Z Play being rooted while Z remains stock... So less bloatware in background than Z. I agree they are both instantly response, but the same app loads longer on Z than Z play (still very little difference)

It may be also related on CPU architecture as well, no doubt 820 will be stronger on graphic but in terms of power saving or low power and clock usage 625 could be the winner.

bt headphones user here, so 3,5mm is not an issue for me.
Battery is 1/3 bigger on play but even the Moto z has had >30% left for me when i went to sleep.
BT headphone also costs more battery, why give extra burden to the already struggling Moto Z?

In terms of battery, it's not only on capacity. 625 + 3GB is much more efficient than the 820 +4GB (and 625 being 14nm). 1080P VS 2K also helps greatly. So only being ~30% larger on capacity, the actual usage is more than doubled.

I guess with added mod, any mm less will also be nice.
But i did not actually look out to have a moto z.
A play would have done it but then there was that 249€ offer i could not resist and now i have to convince myself that it was a good decision
Totally agree, on marketing perspective showing Mod with a Moto Z looks much better than with the Z Play. And that price is a steal! I will probably do the same for that price!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
- Battery life Z Play is about 2-3X than Z in my everyday use (same app installed, same exchange service running, same network, same background processes...)
Confirming the above comment.
A friend of mine has a Moto Z Style (different name in Brazil) and its battery life is very low, needing to recharge 1-2x during the day. Moto Z Play battery life (due to CPU and battery) is a lot better.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Good news!
Thanks a lot. 249€ seems to be limited only to that shop, in Russia the cheapest is around 390€ so far. I found https://www.coolicool.com/moto-z-pla...orning-g-44168 from Kimovil for $269.99. Looks good too, but not sure about the shop, although they have PayPal.

Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Perhaps I can lend you a spare Moto Z or Z play for development, after our internal testing. Not 100% sure at the moment as product still under development and software needs to be tested... If it's not too late.
Thanks for the offer, but it's going to be complicated since I'm from different country and I'd like to have one device to use with keyboard anyway .

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Loving that this is gaining a bit of momentum and possibilities are growing guys!!

Ill do what I can from this side but Im a dabbler not an expert

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
Currently there is a deal at Banggood - $251 for white Moto Z Play 64 GB dual SIM one. Probably that the cheapest I can find, will try to order it.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheKit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Good to hear you are still on it!

To save you some time: CE you can award yourself and provide documents only when asked later - and since you don't have high voltage circuitry or sharp corners you can basically slam the CE logo on your product. If you let your boardhouse use leadfree solder RoHS is also no biggie. FCC you don't need unless you are sneakily making it a Bluetooth keyboard haha!

But since you are doing certification; do you have a working proto yet? The update lacked any pics or vids.. Good luck ramping up for mass production!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
Good to hear you are still on it!

To save you some time: CE you can award yourself and provide documents only when asked later - and since you don't have high voltage circuitry or sharp corners you can basically slam the CE logo on your product. If you let your boardhouse use leadfree solder RoHS is also no biggie. FCC you don't need unless you are sneakily making it a Bluetooth keyboard haha!

But since you are doing certification; do you have a working proto yet? The update lacked any pics or vids.. Good luck ramping up for mass production!
Haha thanks you for the tips. Moto also require those official documents of certification before conduct any sales, so I'm planning to pay for some labs to issue that. Especially for the battery.

Yes got the semi-working proto last month, didn't show because it's too thick, comparing to the version we are working now. Don't want to publish pictures that scares the buyers away by thickness. I'm chasing the slim one to finish this week.

But still as the current sample is hand casted, it's not as solid and good looking as the molded sample. Don't want to show it in too much details and cause false impressions flying around. But will disclose later this week or early next week as much as I can.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love