Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Time to get this thread back on track:

Good/cool OS
WP, Symbian, Bada, Maemo

Bad/boring OS
iOS, MeeGo, Android

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
A lot of cars, phones, and other embedded Linux systems disagree with the above statement.
Don'd forget routers.

Mish,

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Amuze yourself ysss i got things to do non-related i must say to this site.

Have a good one.
Ah, the old "(man, I can't win this people over to my viewpoint), well I have a life outside this field and you don't, therefore I win any way". This needs to be added to the list of fallacious arguments:

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/s...arguments.html

Or is it there already?

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Last edited by rm42; 2011-02-26 at 13:19.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Time to get this thread back on track:

Good/cool OS
WP, Symbian, Bada, Maemo

Bad/boring OS
iOS, MeeGo, Android
I'd have to move MeeGo up to the Good/cool OS list, and WP7 down to the crappy/should never have been made list.

WP7 is worse (just from looking at the features that are missing) than the first release of iOS and yet Nokia went with them?

Besides, you forgot WebOS as well, which I would put on the Good/Cool OS list.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
I'd have to move MeeGo up to the Good/cool OS list, and WP7 down to the crappy/should never have been made list.

WP7 is worse (just from looking at the features that are missing) than the first release of iOS and yet Nokia went with them?

Besides, you forgot WebOS as well, which I would put on the Good/Cool OS list.
Updated list:

Good/cool OS
WP, Symbian, Bada, Maemo

Bad/boring OS
iOS, MeeGo, Android, WebOS

WebOS is sort of what MeeGo would have been. Interesting for geeks and Linux zealots, but Mr Average Joe would simply go - why should I be excited over this?

But look. I would prefer that Nokia would continue with Maemo and Symbian, or rather renewed Symbian from the bottom up. Clearly Nokia simply didn't manage to do it. Why they didn't manage to do is a never ending debate, but it is uninteresting by now, WP is the future OS. WP is what a renewed Symbian would be. It will be great.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
WP is the future OS. WP is what a renewed Symbian would be. It will be great.
Well ericson, only you seem to think so around here. And outside of here there are plenty of people that disagree with you too.

I can just see it, to get the full WP experience, you will need to pair it with a Windows desktop, run Microsoft Office, buy exchange, set up SharePoint, etc., etc., etc. No thank you. Been there, done that. As a colleague likes to say when refusing to deploy any Microsoft solution in his business, "letting a little Microsoft in the office is like being a little pregnant".

Enjoy your Microsoft life. As for me, I am so glad to be free from that.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I recognize Apple's superiority in mobile ecosystems.
I recognize Google's immense prowess in online services for mobile devices.
I too recognize MeeGo's ultimate potential in assimilating the industry if things fall into place.

But I spit in WP's general direction.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
But I spit in WP's general direction.
I find this sorta surprising from you. Not that you can't think it, nor that you don't have proper reasons; however as it stands sorta surprised that you've written off WP7 so quickly.

After 11 days with WP7, I'm not overwhelmed or sold entirely, but I'm also somewhat impressed because of its speed and ease of use - the UI is an extension of one of my favorite UI's in the last few years - Zune HD basically.

But that's me.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I find this sorta surprising from you. Not that you can't think it, nor that you don't have proper reasons; however as it stands sorta surprised that you've written off WP7 so quickly.

After 11 days with WP7, I'm not overwhelmed or sold entirely, but I'm also somewhat impressed because of its speed and ease of use - the UI is an extension of one of my favorite UI's in the last few years - Zune HD basically.

But that's me.
I'm excited about the possibilities of WP-Zune tie in. I also like their interface and implementation of 'things should just work' and 'prioritizing the common and popular functions'; like what Apple and Google has done before them;

But I despise Ballmer... and (my perceived) lack of differentiation; unimaginative; repackaging of WP7. It somehow feels like a copy of iOS v1 (no copy paste, 'multitasking',etc) to a borg-like army (many brands, 1 'design').

I hope they change my mind in their future versions.
I play xbox games.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand

But that's me.
I hear crystalmeth is good - but buggered if I'm going to spend a week using it to see if it is all it is cracked up to be. I've seen what happens to people who do.

MS Windows products are like a drug, when you start, it seems easy and fun - life is seen through rose-tinted specs - but after a while you find things aren't quite as rosy as they seemed at first. You have to buy more stuff to keep getting the same effect. Eventually it hardly works at all, and they bring a new designer drug onto the market, and you have to pay up to start getting a hit from this new gear instead. The dealer is quite jealous about making sure you buy his gear, rather than from his competitors, or even getting free highs. Using stuff from other suppliers makes you sick, things stop working properly, you break down and you crash.

The only solution is complete withdrawal, to go cold turkey.

Mish.

Tags
bada rox, give me bada, meego rules, sir abill sir !, windowsce blows