Posts: 45 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Poland
HI nice to meet you and yours N9

first step if you want use Facebook chats you must disable chat options in account settings - prompt password is stopped

next install from warehouse extraplugins
and configure Facebook account for chat, more on this page

https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95561

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danpio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drongodrew View Post
I bought an N9 last week on ebay for 49 quid. In my spare time over the week I've managed to get everything I need to work and I just think it's a brilliant device and a real pleasure to use. I don't know why some people have commented on it being slow by today's standards. As much as that is true on paper in practice I get a very smooth, lag-free, experience. I have only two problems that I can't solve. First is I can't get it to automatically switch to an available WLAN and the second is I can't put my Facebook account in it because it constantly asks for the password. I bought this as a stop gap as I broke my BB Q10 and am not due an upgrade for a few months but I don't see another phone out there at the moment with a UI I would like as much as this.
The following should solve your first issue:

Settings/Internet connection/edit networks (find your connection, open it and check connect automatically.

Last edited by patlak; 2015-12-14 at 00:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drongodrew View Post
I bought an N9 last week on ebay for 49 quid. In my spare time over the week I've managed to get everything I need to work and I just think it's a brilliant device and a real pleasure to use. I don't know why some people have commented on it being slow by today's standards. As much as that is true on paper in practice I get a very smooth, lag-free, experience. I have only two problems that I can't solve. First is I can't get it to automatically switch to an available WLAN and the second is I can't put my Facebook account in it because it constantly asks for the password. I bought this as a stop gap as I broke my BB Q10 and am not due an upgrade for a few months but I don't see another phone out there at the moment with a UI I would like as much as this.
I still really like the N9. I occasionally have a hankering to try a newer phone but nothing really excites me, except for Jolla and may be a Blackberry Z30. Unfortunately the Jolla phone doesn't support my Telco's frequencies. That leaves the Z30. With your experience of the Q10 what do you think the Z30 would be like for someone used to using Meego?

The Following User Says Thank You to Alan Breen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ London
I really liked my Q10. I came to it from a N900 and I found it had the same sort of flexibility under the hood without being cluttered on the surface. The N9 is more a step towards minimalism and that's what I really like about it. The thing I most miss from my Q10 is it could play any media you threw at it and it had an hdmi port to play out on and a SD slot for storage. I've heard good things about the Z30 and I do think BB10 is a good OS.

The Z30 is awesome. I still have it, but use the Passport as my main phone.Very Meego-like UI. SO MUCH faster in operation than the N9; no contest.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ London
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
The Z30 is awesome. I still have it, but use the Passport as my main phone.Very Meego-like UI. SO MUCH faster in operation than the N9; no contest.
The passport is what I fancy getting when my upgrade comes at the end of January. Good to see it get a thumbs up from a Meego user.

Thanks for the replies.

Like Meego I think the Blackberry OS is under rated.

Too often tech reviewers are iOS or Android users and they don't both to dig around a different OS to see what it can do and how it really works.

I'm waiting for my Jolla tablet and am hopeful that it still ships. Depending on what happens with that will probably decide what/when I look at another phone.

Everything I hear about Jolla is good and I really hope they can over come this latest financial hurdle. They've made huge improvements to the OS and I sense they're so close to getting Jolla to a point it will become self sustaining.

I was in a similar boat this year as I bought the N9 last December and had it for about half a year to play with.
It really depends on your needs - it can definitely act as a primary phone for basic needs and it doesn't really feel slow for general UI operations. My biggest complaint was the browser quality (stock and 3rd party) - it is extremely slow, actually slower than on N900. Also the rendering is worse.

Plus the typical issues of an EOL device/OS - a lot of services either unsupported or need to be hacked; constant fear other services will be killed by Nokia, service providers etc.

The actual device is very nice in size, looks, AMOLED display is nice but has the typical early OLED issues - for me mainly the purple fringing on some content. Battery life is not so great and it is a bit heavy.

Install Opera browser. For me Opera mobile browsers have been the gold standard for mobile devices. Every mobile device I've had right from the Palm days, I've had one version or another of Opera browser.

The Opera Browser runs rings around the stock browser.

It can be downloaded from the Warehouse.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
The problem with Opera is that I cannot use VKB or Swype, so I cannot type polish characters. And all is hardcoded as binary blobs, so you cannot simply edit as QML/VKB.

Tags
buying n9, nokia n9