Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The feeling of slow rotation is augmented by the too many unneeded rotations. Swipe away from the browser: rotate. Go to another browser window: rotate. All apps must update layout each time.

The choice of rotation being in-app instead of in window manager was wrong.
It depends... Some apps is just not logical in landscape and vise versa. So if WM managed it should atleast have a WMproperty so app can set to not rotate.

Anyone knows how this is implemented in new WM?

(if I remember correct they use lipstick like nemo?)

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The feeling of slow rotation is augmented by the too many unneeded rotations. Swipe away from the browser: rotate. Go to another browser window: rotate. All apps must update layout each time.

The choice of rotation being in-app instead of in window manager was wrong.
The slow rotation is due to the animation (which has a duration of 800ms). If you use a simple item as the root object, the rotation is almost instantaneous, e.g:

Code:
import QtQuick 1.1
import com.nokia.meego 1.0

Item {
    id: appWindow

width: screen.displayWidth
    height: screen.displayHeight

Label {
        id: label

anchors.centerIn: parent
        text: "In landscape"
        font.bold: true
        font.pixelSize: 40
        color: "white"
    }

states: State {
        name: "portrait"
        when: screen.currentOrientation === Screen.Portrait
        PropertyChanges { target: label; text: "In portrait"; rotation: 270 }
    }
}
In action: http://youtu.be/E7tzmo_5bR0

My website

GitHub

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Huz View Post
I agree. Why is it not possible to lock the rotation per app? Or did I miss something?
Applications on Harmattan can easily lock their rotatation any many applications support that. But there is no global rotation lock, which might be an issue. For example, at least Android & webOS have a global rotation lock. It could be quite handy when for example having the device positioned on a flat surface (where it might get false triggers for rotation), operating it in inclined body orientation (AKA laying on side) or as mentioned - in a moving vehicle.

Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Ok, so let me go back on topic: If I am understanding correctly, with your 100€ pre-order, you get:

- A standard and in no way different to the others Jolla phone (you just get it first than the others)
- A t-shirt.
- That box with all those coloured covers.

Am I right?

Last edited by Hariainm; 2013-05-30 at 00:24.

I did understand it this way:
  • A limited edition Jolla (whatever that is)
  • A T-shirt
  • A 100€ voucher
  • An exclusive other half

Last edited by Morpog; 2013-05-30 at 01:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
The solution for all our HDWKB needs

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...our-smartphone

/guess the obvious irony tag was missing

Last edited by RX-51; 2013-05-30 at 18:37.

The Following User Says Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by RX-51 View Post
The solution for all our HDWKB needs

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...our-smartphone
Why do we need a keyboard like that? It covers the screen and are not better then a on screen keyboard. Stupidest idea ever

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
I did understand it this way:
  • A limited edition Jolla (whatever that is)
  • A T-shirt
  • A 100€ voucher
  • An exclusive other half
Yeah, yeah, as seen in their web page. But keeping the marketing away, all this "Other Half" stuff, what does it mean? Something it has to do with the back of the phone, sure. The covers. Do you really expect Jolla to surprise us, pre-order guys, with some "exclusive" other half, like a hwkb or a gamepad? No, and me neither. What would it be: coloured covers. That box. Or not even that. Just one different colour.

And the "super special limited edition" jolla phone... The phone with a limited edition serial number? I bet is nothing special

And I'm sorry to say that. As I said before, I really want to believe, to be eager for the waiting, and I read a lot of information about jolla and the phone, but... To the moment, they failed at selling it to me.

PD: And sorry for all the rant, but my hopes with the company are slowly fading away as I see the zero professionality, the poorly managed presentations, the lack of proper and useful information... I don't like the "Peter Molyneux" way of selling a product they have choosen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
And the "super special limited edition" jolla phone... The phone with a limited edition serial number? I bet is nothing special

And I'm sorry to say that. As I said before, I really want to believe, to be eager for the waiting, and I read a lot of information about jolla and the phone, but... To the moment, they failed at selling it to me.
If you don't feel confident putting down 100euro for your preorder and you only have interest, select the free option. They are not forcing anyone to choose the limited edit and special back cover. It could be something spectacular? It could be something mundane. I wish I had the opportunity but I live in the USA and we can't choose that option.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingstu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
Yeah, yeah, as seen in their web page. But keeping the marketing away, all this "Other Half" stuff, what does it mean? Something it has to do with the back of the phone, sure. The covers. Do you really expect Jolla to surprise us, pre-order guys, with some "exclusive" other half, like a hwkb or a gamepad? No, and me neither. What would it be: coloured covers. That box. Or not even that. Just one different colour.

PD: And sorry for all the rant, but my hopes with the company are slowly fading away as I see the zero professionality, the poorly managed presentations, the lack of proper and useful information... I don't like the "Peter Molyneux" way of selling a product they have choosen.

If people is expecting limited edition is HWKBD they'r plain stupid *****s.

Its probadly "special designed" backcase or something like that.

100EUR lower price for us who preorder thats good enought for me. Also I do it because I support them. I personally KNOW how hard it is for upstart companys to get it going. But I like the idea with Jolla and hope they can success even if they only will be little player on the market.

And about "proffesional skills" for got sake don't compare a little company with bosses like Bill Gates, Ballmer or Steve Jobs or even Mr Flop.

Atleast Jolla has a vision! Compared to Nokia who has sold theyr soul to Microsoft

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-05-30 at 20:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red