Active Topics

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
FWIW, I installed backupmenu before CSSU (hence before CSSU-Thumb). As recommended in TFM. An update to one of KP, CSSU-T or BackupMney has caused the malfunction. The trouble is that it has been mentioned in all three threads and everybody washes their hands and points the other two ways.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Brescia, Italy
Hi all guys. I have 2 questions for you: can i install cssu-thumb if i have already installed normal cssu (4.1)? will the kernel/multiboot be modified if i install it? i have nitdroid running on my n900. thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to n900hacker For This Useful Post:
Question: With KernelPower52 alone, one would still be able to run CSSU Thumb/Thumb2 apps right?
From what I gather, CSSU Thumb/Thumb2 simply provides a huge set of libraries compiled for Thumb/Thumb2, and requires KP52 (because the patch required to run Thumb/Thumb2 stuff is in the kernel).

kh

The Following User Says Thank You to bozoid For This Useful Post:
Posts: 266 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ India
Originally Posted by bozoid View Post
Question: With KernelPower52 alone, one would still be able to run CSSU Thumb/Thumb2 apps right?
From what I gather, CSSU Thumb/Thumb2 simply provides a huge set of libraries compiled for Thumb/Thumb2, and requires KP52 (because the patch required to run Thumb/Thumb2 stuff is in the kernel).

kh
everything will work fine.. i am using cssu+kernel power52+thumb..

wonder how u got this question :P

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to visN900 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think the question is if you can install a thumb compiled app without having cssu-thumb, just KP. I would think from what I know that it should be ok but I am not sure. I don't think there's harm in trying however, the worst thing that can happen is the app will crash or won't run at all.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
My understanding is that CSSU-Thumb is required to run Thumb2 ISA applications. On addition to that, you must be using a kernel that works around the hardware errata. You can either pre-install KP 52 (or even KP 51r1), or just let CSSU-Thumb install kernel-cssu, which itself is based on KP 51r1.

I recommend installing KP 52, then CSSU-Thumb. That's what I did on my N900. I have overclocked (to 805 Mhz) and also used the packet injection drivers, and everything seems to be running very well.

The Following User Says Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Hungary
On CSSU-Thumb2 I've got only two issues. (KP52)
Camera app randomly closes with internal application error. Manual focus app is installed by the way.
backupmenu crashes! Is there any solution?

Thumb2 is really fast, extraction, and menu scrolling is way faster too.

Also cracking WEP or WPS is really easy.

The Following User Says Thank You to quailstorm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by quailstorm View Post
On CSSU-Thumb2 I've got only two issues. (KP52)
Camera app randomly closes with internal application error. Manual focus app is installed by the way.
backupmenu crashes! Is there any solution?
Both issues are not thumb related AFAIK.

Camera is to do with your Non stock Camera application.

Backupmenu issue is a problem with text2screen in CSSU-Devel.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by bozoid View Post

kh
If you compile (and you will want to) thumb binaries with gcc 4.7.2 (or whatever version different from stock), you'll also need libstdc++ and libgcc1 that come with the toolchain.

Why I say you'll want to use different toolchain? Well, there are 2 erratas that need to be workarounded and the second one is workarounded by the linker. Unfortunately stock SDK binutils is far too old to know about that

So the answer is - yes, you can, given you compile the binary with the correct toolchain and provide the correct kernel and the needed libs.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
... you'll also need libstdc++ and libgcc1 that come with the toolchain.
Thanks for the response! I find above portion of the response most interesting. Is libstdc++ & libgcc1 from CSSU Thumb mandatory?

Here's a scenario - Lets assume I have:
- *CSSU Stable*.
- KP52 - we know this has workarounds for an errata.
- Firefox/Fennec (special build for Thumb, linked in required manner).
In above situation, libstdc++ & friends are all non-Thumb versions.
Would Firefox/Fennec still run?

All above is really just for better understanding It's coz from reading, your post #1 says we only need following:
1. fix in kernel; &
2. (apps or libs linked in required manner.)

I still intend to create a fresh image with CSSU Thumb, repartition my device, reinstall all my apps one by one, etc.

kh

The Following User Says Thank You to bozoid For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life