Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I don't actually get why people are worried about this announcement concerning N8? Nokia is expecting Symbian to be it's main OS/volume OS in 2011 already(taking S40 place). This is only about the positioning of the two OS's that both support Qt.
It superphone tunnel vision. It’s about people who simply are not aware about anything below Nseries (basically your average avid engadget reader), for them it sounds like a whole OS has been discontinued (which is very far from the truth). On the flip side, saying things like here DOES affect the N8 as it reinforces the image of Symbian as an outdated/unwanted OS. That’s why they should have not named it Symbian^* in the first place - devs know what it is no matter how it’s called, users THINK they know what it is, but in reality they don’t.

Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by evil_m0nkey View Post
I would be shocked if Nokia managed to actually deliver on June 30th.
What makes you think it's only Nokia that's working on it? We're talking about MeeGo reference UX from the MeeGo project governed by Linux Foundation, not something Nokia specific. That's outside the scope of this thread though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by jsa View Post
What makes you think it's only Nokia that's working on it? We're talking about MeeGo reference UX from the MeeGo project governed by Linux Foundation, not something Nokia specific. That's outside the scope of this thread though.
It's not unreasonable assumption to assume that at this point the Meego handheld UX is overwhelmingly, if not solely, Nokia project.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 164 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Chateauroux, FRANCE
MeeGo Handest UX is being heavily developped at the moment and IMO it will be very complete and usable on the N900 in the 30th of June state....

I can't wait !!!!

NeedToGo

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
It's not unreasonable assumption to assume that at this point the Meego handheld UX is overwhelmingly, if not solely, Nokia project.
A slide from Intel Developer Forum says "Core M2 Handset UX, based on Intel UX design(using handheld UI framework)". The framework is Nokia developed, but that line leads me to believe the rest of it is not strictly a Nokia effort. Nokia can, and has in the past kept certain built in applications closed(differentiation). MeeGo reference UX being 100 % open, it's a no go for those and something else is needed there. And the bug reports against the handheld UX also seem to indicate Intel developers working on the applications.

Maybe I'm just reading way too much into everything, but I guess we'll see once the reference and Nokia UX's are out..

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Thank god.

Originally Posted by ou_oliver View Post
I thought nokia was going to make symbian^4 and then symbian^5 or maybe event symbian^6. not going to happen then??
It says last Nseries Symbian device, there are also Eseries, Xseries, Cseries and Sseries. Plenty of Symbian to come.

That said, I believe it when I see it.. without exact quotes from the Nokia person I'm taking this with a grain of salt. There's way too much room for misunderstandings. With the new numbering system (N8-00, N8-01, N8-02, ...) it could just mean N8-models will be the only Symbian devices in Nseries.

This is good and bad news

Okay, well, Me having owned an N95, N96, N97 and currently an N900 i think i can make a pretty sturdy conclusion.

Basically Symbian 3rd (non touch screen devices) was absolutely amazing! My N95 still sets my benchmark in terms of an amazing phone! N96 was good aswell (hardware was shite though), nevertheless the OS was brilliant!

Symbian 5th (Touchscreen devices) was possibly the worst OS i'v ever used...slow, glitchy and jam packed with bugs...Put it this way, it took Nokia over a year to finally release the 5th/6th update with kinetic scrolling, for those of you who dont know what that is, i suggest googling it...its the most basic concept of touchscreen phones!

Symbian has just never been Touchscreen friendly, it shows with the Sony Ericcson Satio (also lacks kinetic scrolling) aswell as certain Samsumg phones which used the OS aswell. Symbian has just always been made for non touchscreen phones!

Although now that Symbian^3 was released i never got a chance to play with it, but i can guarantee it will have the same problems as Symbian^1 5th as its still on Touchscreen devices.

I think implementing Meego on touchscreen devices will be much better option, seeing Maemo on N900 hasnt failed to impress me, when taken into consideration how new the OS is! And im sure Meego will be even better!

But don't forget that Nokia is NOT the only company to use Symbian, Sony Ericcson have just picked it up and i think samsung still use it (but are slowly moving to their own OS and Android), So i dont think Symbian will die out; but will get a big blow now that Nokia have dropped it!

Meh abit of a mouthful i guess :P But it might settle a few arguments! Feel free to critise

The Following User Says Thank You to M00NB34M For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
does this mean nokia will no longer make symbian 3 phones with an "Nxxx" name? or maybe their gonna use the X series for symbian3

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Originally Posted by M00NB34M View Post
This is good and bad news

Okay, well, Me having owned an N95, N96, N97 and currently an N900 i think i can make a pretty sturdy conclusion.

Basically Symbian 3rd (non touch screen devices) was absolutely amazing! My N95 still sets my benchmark in terms of an amazing phone! N96 was good aswell (hardware was shite though), nevertheless the OS was brilliant!

Symbian 5th (Touchscreen devices) was possibly the worst OS i'v ever used...slow, glitchy and jam packed with bugs...Put it this way, it took Nokia over a year to finally release the 5th/6th update with kinetic scrolling, for those of you who dont know what that is, i suggest googling it...its the most basic concept of touchscreen phones!

Symbian has just never been Touchscreen friendly, it shows with the Sony Ericcson Satio (also lacks kinetic scrolling) aswell as certain Samsumg phones which used the OS aswell. Symbian has just always been made for non touchscreen phones!

Although now that Symbian^3 was released i never got a chance to play with it, but i can guarantee it will have the same problems as Symbian^1 5th as its still on Touchscreen devices.

I think implementing Meego on touchscreen devices will be much better option, seeing Maemo on N900 hasnt failed to impress me, when taken into consideration how new the OS is! And im sure Meego will be even better!

But don't forget that Nokia is NOT the only company to use Symbian, Sony Ericcson have just picked it up and i think samsung still use it (but are slowly moving to their own OS and Android), So i dont think Symbian will die out; but will get a big blow now that Nokia have dropped it!

Meh abit of a mouthful i guess :P But it might settle a few arguments! Feel free to critise
Well if Symbian dies it means that Nokia dies in the next 5 years because Symbian is the money maker and volume OS for Nokia in the coming years. Nokia is expecting Symbian to be equal to S40 already in 2012.
Many of the Symbian problems can be traced to AVKON and that will change when we get to S^4.

MeeGo will be niche. A profitable niche like Symbian once was(or so Nokia hopes at least).
So many seem to be getting this news very wrong by some reason.