Closed Thread
Qole:
How do non GTK applications perform? Do Qt, Motif, or even console software work?
For GTK applications, have you tried statically linking in their GTK libraries?

Last edited by dgweud; 2009-10-30 at 16:18.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
In the true spirit of "release soon, release often", I ask you to make available an interim version with the default tiny widgets and texts, to start using debian on the N900 even if with enlarging goggles.
I have put easy-chroot into Fremantle Extras-Devel, and I have uploaded a Fremantle-themed version of the Debian Sid image to my server (debian-squeeze-m5-img.bz2). You install easy-chroot, download and unzip the image file in /home/user/MyDocs, make a new /debian directory (by typing "sudo mkdir /debian") and then run

Code:
sudo qchroot /home/user/MyDocs/debian-squeeze-m5.img.ext2 /debian
and that will get you started. You are root by default, so be careful about running user apps. Apps can be run inside the chroot as user by typing, "hilda appname".

But like I said, it is still pretty unpleasant to use at the moment, and honestly, if those instructions are too complex for you, then you shouldn't be messing about with it...

Last edited by qole; 2009-10-30 at 21:52. Reason: warning about being root by default

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 60 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Nomad
Is there an easy way to unmount the chroot after use on the n900?

(Apologies if this was already mentioned in this superlong thread)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
sudo closechroot

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Here's two screenshots showing one of the GTK+ improvements I've made. I've widened the scrollbars so they can be used with your thumb instead of only with the stylus. Here's a Maemo app, XChat, first with standard scrollbar (from GeneralAntilles photo thread) and second with the "fat" scrollbar:

Dear Friends

I installed Easy Debian Chroot and after I updated it I have no flashplugin and the terminal emulators do not "remember" the last commands.
apt-get install says that cannot install flashplugin-nonfree, its not avaiable but its referred by other packages...

There is any repository I need to add?
Thanks

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
I have a N810 with cloned OS running on a 16GB external mmc. I have installed Easy Debian image file (debian-squeeze.img.ext2) and customized heavily with Japanese support and other applications..

I would like to move the debian setup that I have as it is( so that I dont have to redo the setup from the beginning on a fresh debian install), to be moved to a free bootable ext2 partition that I have.. This way can I modify the /home/usr/.chroot file to start existing debian out of the partition? With this method I hope to have more space for the debian without loosing the existing setup I have done..

Now, appreciate if someone could tell me if and how I can do this. Is this possible at all or should I start all over again to install on a new ext2 partition

TiA
Shin

You can copy everything out of your image file to the new partition. There is a whole thread on doing this in the Alternatives section. I will try to find it for you when I get some time this weekend, but you can also search for it yourself or perhaps some other kind soul can find it for you first...

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Travel bag
Thank you qole..

I guess I found it with a little more searching... hope it is this link link, that you mentioned..

I am copying the img file contents to the partition now as i type this msg..

shin:

Thanks for finding that, I made a couple of updates and posted to that thread. No big deal, the method you found still works, but my new instructions are just faster than the method you linked to.

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice