I have just bought an ex-dem N800. Got it home all excited and soon realised that it will not find my home network. Infact its not finding any WLAN and all my other devices find mine plus about 3 others in neighboring houses.

Am I doing something silly or is it a faulty unit. The only thing I can think of is that low battery is not letting the WLAN in the N800 work, I think some devices cut power to the wireless lan when the battery is low. Maybe I am clutching at straws with that one.

Don't really want to take it back as it was a real bargain. Please help

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
flash it with the newest firmware and we can go from there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your reply, just back from the store where I exchanged the N800 for a brand new N810, a little more money but much happier with it, working like a dream.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
is the wlan on ch 12, 13 or 14? the USA based n800's won't do european channels without a quick hack, and AFAIK none can do the Japanese channel 14

Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
is the wlan on ch 12, 13 or 14? the USA based n800's won't do european channels without a quick hack, and AFAIK none can do the Japanese channel 14
It was on auto (1) I tried manual choosing others, but I think the unit was just faulty. They didn't seem suprised when I Returned it. Got a great price on the N810 anyway and it feels so much better quality, and the keyboard is great. Everything worked outa the box.

While I am here, can I pick your brains about video encoding for the N810. I have a few regular avi files, just the average 700mb ripped dvd's and I wanted to try converting to play on the N810, I tried one as it was just dragged across but it wouldn't play. What format do I need to convert into and what pixel ratio. Cheers for the help, will be doing the conversion on a Mac if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

The Following User Says Thank You to A.Addict For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by A.Addict View Post
While I am here, can I pick your brains about video encoding for the N810. I have a few regular avi files, just the average 700mb ripped dvd's and I wanted to try converting to play on the N810, I tried one as it was just dragged across but it wouldn't play. What format do I need to convert into and what pixel ratio. Cheers for the help, will be doing the conversion on a Mac if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance
You'll want to install mplayer, instead of using the built-in media player for movies. It will almost certainly make an effort to play them as-is, but maybe choppy and/or losing sync, so you may still want to re-encode. For more info on encodings and encoding software: http://wiki.maemo.org/Video_encoding

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: