Active Topics

Originally Posted by sorodoros View Post
Direct Outlook sync does work, is reliable (so far), but is extremely limited. Extremely. Forget about Task alarms. Forget about complex repeats (i.e., every other week). Lots more that's pathetic.
Hi sorodos,
thank you for reply, Your help is really precious because it's possible to valutate this aspect only having and testing a real device.
Could be possibile to create a list of feature available / missing in the sync process for each aspect (calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, documents)?

Of course I don't mean cite all the possible feature and aspect but the major ones for example:

For Contacts:
  • Does PCSuite syncs contacts both ways?
  • Changing / adding info on N900 I'll find it in Outlook?
  • Is there any data loss / corruption in this to way sync? (I mean that some fields is silently discarded ).
  • etc..
Thank you for support!
Handrea

Posts: 219 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Just wanted to thank OP from this nice thread topic. There should be more this kind of threads instead of multiple "OMG Google sync!" or "OMG Exchange2003!" threads.

Posts: 344 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by handrea View Post
Hi sorodos,
thank you for reply, Your help is really precious because it's possible to valutate this aspect only having and testing a real device.
Could be possibile to create a list of feature available / missing in the sync process for each aspect (calendar, contacts, tasks, notes, documents)?

Of course I don't mean cite all the possible feature and aspect but the major ones for example:

For Contacts:
  • Does PCSuite syncs contacts both ways?
  • Changing / adding info on N900 I'll find it in Outlook?
  • Is there any data loss / corruption in this to way sync? (I mean that some fields is silently discarded ).
  • etc..
Thank you for support!
Handrea

Essentially the problem is PC Suite. It's always been the worst of the worst PIM managers. No changes were made to the latest version to make the n900 sync seamlessly with Outlook or anything else other than PC Suite, which is limited all by itself. (Nokia is well-known for their lack of good PIM support.) Pesonally, since I am so dependant on PIM, the n900 is for me a borderline device, meaning it certainly has outstanding and amazing innovative qualities, but it also has outstanding shorcomings. That said, I am considering a few workarounds that might save the day, even if they are time consuming and shouldn't really be necesssary at all.

Does PCSuite syncs contacts both ways?

Yes, and the best thing about the n900/Outlook sync. However, there are a few fields that do not sync over to the n900 correctly. all the data comes over, but occasionally I have found field "misses."

Changing / adding info on N900 I'll find it in Outlook?

So far so good, but again, there are limitations, some severe. Contacts are good, it seems, though not absolutely perfect. Calendar: no category sync (they are ignored). Tasks: no. I have a workaround that I am considering, but it is not a fix-all. Notes: If you mean Notes/memos PIM, no, not at all. notes within Calendar, contacts, yes.

Is there any data loss / corruption in this to way sync? (I mean that some fields is silently discarded, etc..

I have not seen any data loss, just some field changes. It's too early to know for sure.

I wish there were a 3rd-party app. One day we may have Pimlical (evolved version of Palm OS Datebk6). Developer states that it will be cross-platform, desktop to handheld, including Linux, but I imagine this is some time off...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sorodoros For This Useful Post:
Hi sorodoros,
thank you, your informations are really precious. I was wating to buy N900 but, reading your post, I understood that perhaps is not the device right for me .
I tried a lot of Nokia device in the past but all had the same problem: a sync nigthmare due to bad quality of PC Suite. Unfortunately PC Suite seems more a basic home facility than a real way to sync device to your PC.

I think that N900 is a great device but is difficult to live inside it I need to interoperate with a full PIM software

I completely understand. I myself am considering putting the n900 away for a while and watch the next few firmware upgrades to see what comes down. Hopefully, good news. In the meantime, I may go with my HTC TP2, which has the best keyboard ever, and complete Outlook support, thanks to WinMo , which I hate and have alway hated. But, I must say the HTC TP2 is good hw. Opera mobile isn't to shoddy either. I still prefer the 900, Maemo 5. Maybe there is still hope.

Clarifications and an Outlook-Task-sync workaround.

The Mameo 5 Calendar does not support editing of complex repeats, e.g. every other week/month/etc, which apparently means that you cannot create them on the n900. However, Outlook "complex" repeats do in fact sync over and register correctly, but if you try to edit them on the n900 you will loose the so-called complex repeat. Not a total disaster.

Categories and any formatting associated with them are hopeless with PC Suite, though that is really not news.

Outlook-Task-sync workaround is probably not worth it, but here it is:

1. Create a new Calendar on the n900. Call it "Tasks." Now you have a Calendar called "Tasks" where you will store your Outlook-Tasks.

2. Create a new calendar in Outlook. Call it "Calendar Tasks."

3. Drop all your Outlook Tasks into your Calendar Task all day event bar, dismiss the alarms.

4. Set your PC Suite Outlook sync folder to your new Outlook Calendar-Tasks. Sync.

5. Your Outlook Tasks will now appear in your n900 Calendar (the only syncable calendar) as calendar events.

6. Now change each of these to your Tasks calendar on your n90. All Task data/alarms, etc is now fully editable.

That's the baisc idea. This Calendar Task on your n900 will not sync, which means every new Outlook task has go through this procedure. It alo means you have to sync twice: once for real calendar events and once for tasks, changing the source sync folder in Outlook twice. PIA, if you ask me, but it does work. If you have a ton of tasks, forget it.

The Following User Says Thank You to sorodoros For This Useful Post:
I completely understand. I myself am considering putting the n900 away for a while and watch the next few firmware upgrades to see what comes down. Hopefully, good news. In the meantime, I may go with my HTC TP2, which has the best keyboard ever, and complete Outlook support, thanks to WinMo , which I hate and have alway hated. But, I must say the HTC TP2 is good hw. Opera mobile isn't to shoddy either. I still prefer the 900, Maemo 5. Maybe there is still hope.
I agree with you. I've tested HTC TP2 and is a great step forward compared to other WinMO devices (at present I'm using a TyTN device).
The sad story is that I was really counting the days to free myself from windows mobile and switch to N900 / Maemo5

Hi sorodoros,
your replies are incredible usefull! I just thank you.. What amazes me is that you cannot find these considerations in any phone review: all reviews seems clones focusing more on FX or funny aspects: but I don't buy an expensive phone to smile I need to use it in everyday life / work.

Clarifications and an Outlook-Task-sync workaround.

The Mameo 5 Calendar does not support editing of complex repeats, e.g. every other week/month/etc, which apparently means that you cannot create them on the n900. However, Outlook "complex" repeats do in fact sync over and register correctly, but if you try to edit them on the n900 you will loose the so-called complex repeat. Not a total disaster.
That's true. Is not a big problem also because I usally plan complex events on Outlook.

Categories and any formatting associated with them are hopeless with PC Suite, though that is really not news.
Luckly i don't use categories at present.

Outlook-Task-sync workaround is probably not worth it, but here it is:

1. Create a new Calendar on the n900. Call it "Tasks." Now you have a Calendar called "Tasks" where you will store your Outlook-Tasks.

2. Create a new calendar in Outlook. Call it "Calendar Tasks."

3. Drop all your Outlook Tasks into your Calendar Task all day event bar, dismiss the alarms.

4. Set your PC Suite Outlook sync folder to your new Outlook Calendar-Tasks. Sync.

5. Your Outlook Tasks will now appear in your n900 Calendar (the only syncable calendar) as calendar events.

6. Now change each of these to your Tasks calendar on your n90. All Task data/alarms, etc is now fully editable.

That's the baisc idea. This Calendar Task on your n900 will not sync, which means every new Outlook task has go through this procedure. It alo means you have to sync twice: once for real calendar events and once for tasks, changing the source sync folder in Outlook twice. PIA, if you ask me, but it does work. If you have a ton of tasks, forget it.
This is simply incredible. My question is: but N900 has a task list on device? Or the "task" concept is totally missing? I don't think should be so difficult to sync tasks if you're able to sync calendar (from a programming perspective)

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
Hi there is one thing that I don't understand here. It seem that pc suite can't sync task or other item. I just went to http://www.nokiausa.com/get-support-...y-and-download
for the N900 and it say the following: synchronize contacts, calendar, todo, notes, images & video MS outlook 2000-2007 so that should pim everything. Haven't try it still waiting my N900 but maybe they have updated the nokia ovi suite to take care of the N900

Originally Posted by JD2010 View Post
Hi there is one thing that I don't understand here. It seem that pc suite can't sync task or other item. I just went to http://www.nokiausa.com/get-support-...y-and-download
for the N900 and it say the following: synchronize contacts, calendar, todo, notes, images & video MS outlook 2000-2007 so that should pim everything. Haven't try it still waiting my N900 but maybe they have updated the nokia ovi suite to take care of the N900
What you read is the reason why I was wating for N900: I said, a powerfull device, linux based, powerfull browser, support for syncronization..
What to say, perhaps Nokia didn't mantain the promise