Active Topics

Notices

Hello,

Is there a widget for the famous Wifi Switcher applet? I use this a lot and would really prefer just a switch on and off widget that does the same as the applet in the notification tray.

Last edited by xuggs; 2010-07-27 at 12:30. Reason: typo

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Try ConnectNow. This allows you to place multiple widgets on the desktop to toggle connections on/off.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Try ConnectNow. This allows you to place multiple widgets on the desktop to toggle connections on/off.
It does not allow you to disable Wi-Fi while Wifi Switcher allows you to do that.

Once switched off from WifiSwitcher even ConnectNow will give an error re connecting to Wi-FI.

For ConnectNow to work wi-fi access has to be switched on again from WifiSwitcher

Originally Posted by t4ure4n View Post
It does not allow you to disable Wi-Fi while Wifi Switcher allows you to do that.

Once switched off from WifiSwitcher even ConnectNow will give an error re connecting to Wi-FI
In ConnectNow you press the connection to connect, and press again to disconnect thus enable + disable?

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on May 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
In ConnectNow you press the connection to connect, and press again to disconnect thus enable + disable?
Yes, I understand the fact that ConnectNow works as on-off switch for the wi-fi/Gprs connection you have created.

But WifiSwitcher acts as a hardware switch just like on-off switch on laptop. Once wi-fi module is off you can't use any software to connect unless the wi-fi is switch back on.

Originally Posted by t4ure4n View Post
Yes, I understand the fact that ConnectNow works as on-off switch for the wi-fi/Gprs connection you have created.

But WifiSwitcher acts as a hardware switch just like on-off switch on laptop. Once wi-fi module is off you can't use any software to connect unless the wi-fi is switch back on.
Ok, I understand. You could create a widget using Queen Beecon that brings the interface up first before trying to connect (assuming WifiSwitcher downs the int as opposed to some other method)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by xuggs View Post
Is there a widget for the famous Wifi Switcher applet? I use this a lot and would really prefer just a switch on and off widget that does the same as the applet in the notification tray.
With WiFi Switcher installed, use Queen Beecon Widget to make a Beecon that'll run "sudo /usr/sbin/wifi.sh".

The script returns 2 if it disabled the WLAN and 0 if it's been re-enabled by it.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Guys, please post the wifi switcher beecon export when completed ... I'll be glad to reference it in the WIKI with other beecons

Here's an utility that will automatically switch off wireless when connected to ethernet via a wire:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wifiswitcher/files/