Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by CRCulver View Post
while the device has never been competitive, its uncompetitive specifications were more tolerable when the device was first announced and obviously would have been more acceptable at the first projected release date on the Neo900 website than the current one (or lack thereof).
I think the most people spent so much money because to extend the life of a N900 to another 5 years and not to throw it away after half a year. This statement is unlogic and makes no sence to me. If I would think like that I would never go for a Neo900 right from the beginning. Also I would guess that everybody could imagine that a wish release date for a tiny startup will never come true. In addition there were unpredictable circumstances.

To invest in the project is a risk because it is a huge challange but when a few people can overcome this, it is a big thing whenever it is finished. And maybe it keeps one spirit up to other people or upcoming projects.
You can not see this project in an economic way, it is some beliefs in freedom and your lifestyle.

So congratulations to the involved people for the big step forward in the project.

However If somebody need help to exchange the heart of a N900 to a beautiful Neo900. I can offer to do it for free for people near Berlin - Germany.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Sure we can do sth about the former. The latter isn't decided upon yet, it has many pitfalls, starting at double-customs and shipping (which could easily get more expensive than using a 'new' N900) and not ending at warranty issues ("who scratched the screen" sort of disputes. Go figure we find your beloved N900 has its screws mangled and can't get disassembled at all). Possibly we can find a tad more local services doing the swap for you if you absolutely feel like not doing it yourself.
Anyway believe me, we will provide a very fine video tutorial how to do that easy lightswap. We also might provide any tools needed (Torx-6 driver basically). You most likely will find it's quite feasible. And in case of worst desaster, you're not on your own, I already sourced (and will continue to do so) spare parts when you actually break something. You shouldn't be able to accidentally break the NeoN board anyway, it's made to last :-) For the most delicate few parts (flex cable for example) we can provide spare parts.

/j
In that case, I'm curious about how you plan to handle disputes from those who go for the board-only option and then claim "my board doesn't work". I'm willing to bet that 90%+ won't properly ground themselves when swapping in the board. The NeoN board might not be highly sensitive but you can't deny that there is a possibility, however small, that ESD damage may occur. People do stupid things, expect them to touch the PoP!

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2015-03-11 at 17:39.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
@wicket: you're right about this, in principle. But actually the board will be better-than-normal on ESD protection, and odds that somebody damages the board by ESD completely are rather small. More likely is they do subtle damage to the SoC that only shows much later, when they don't follow the most basic principles clearly communicated in our tutoral video (like "touch the board only on its edges. At least first time you touch it in a minute"). For the one or two boards people might manage to kill during mounting, we will find a way to handle those cases so everybody is happy. I guess a certain minimal customer's own cost - e.g. for shiping and handling - caused by handling those issues will cause our customers to generally take care not to damage their eagerly awaited boards.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Question: given the maintenance manual for the N900 says discard & replace torx screws qhen dis- and re- assembling, will a bare board neo900 ship with replacement screws?

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TomJ View Post
Question: given the maintenance manual for the N900 says discard & replace torx screws qhen dis- and re- assembling, will a bare board neo900 ship with replacement screws?
Simple answer: yes, of course :-)
/j

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Joerg, when will you be requesting that we 'buy' our ram?
I have 'donated' 100 euros @ plan to buy one, maybe two neo100.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
The latter isn't decided upon yet, it has many pitfalls, starting at double-customs and shipping (which could easily get more expensive than using a 'new' N900) and not ending at warranty issues ("who scratched the screen" sort of disputes. Go figure we find your beloved N900 has its screws mangled and can't get disassembled at all).
I see your point, but how does that differ from regular warranty repairs?
Let's assume I order a complete device and at some point I have to send it to you due to some warranty issue.
How would you determine in this case who mangled the screws? Of course you'd claim I did and I'd claim I already got it with the screws in this condition and never bothered to check.

Anyway believe me, we will provide a very fine video tutorial how to do that easy lightswap. We also might provide any tools needed (Torx-6 driver basically). You most likely will find it's quite feasible.
I'm not worried about the tools or not understanding the instructions.
It's mainly my motoric skills. I can manage to (dis)assemble desktop PCs and even notebooks, but connecting those tiny ribbon cables of touchpads has a failure rate of 50%.
I just wouldn't want to play coin flipping with such a unique device like the Neo900.

Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
However If somebody need help to exchange the heart of a N900 to a beautiful Neo900. I can offer to do it for free for people near Berlin - Germany.
That sounds great. Thanks!

But I'd like to ask you some questions in advance:
1. Is it exceptional skill or exceptional bravery that makes you think you can do this?
2. What's your favorite beer?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
We also might provide any tools needed (Torx-6 driver basically).
Just to be pedantic, Nokia had a tendency to use "Torx Plus" (IP) screws, not Torx, this is typically why battery swaps on the N9 result in trashed screws as people use an incorrectly sized Torx drivers and not the correct Torx Plus drivers.

Having done many service jobs on various Nokia devices a full set of IP drivers has been essential. Just something else to double check.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to LES.. For This Useful Post:
6) Unscrew the four Phillips size 00 screws in the
order shown. Do not use them again.
9) Unscrew the two TORX+ size 6 screws in the ordershown. Do not use them again.
(from Nokia_N900_RX-51_Service_Manual_L1L2_v1_0.pdf)

Thanks LES..!
/j

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
That sounds great. Thanks!

But I'd like to ask you some questions in advance:
1. Is it exceptional skill or exceptional bravery that makes you think you can do this?
2. What's your favorite beer?
I studied device electronics and microtechnology during my study I was working at Siemens preparing electronic boards with thermo couples to optimize reflow and hotflow soldering processes and desoldering and resoldering flip chips with special machines. During that time Siemens produced mobile phones and was looking for a lead free solder paste and halogen free PCB.

In the past I was soldering magic chips into PS 1 and 2, I also exchanged flexcable for my A780 for example. I am brave and keen to open everything and have also good skills to use a soldering iron.

I own 3 N900 2 in very good condition and one I can use for training. I only open a phone from somebody else, if I successful exchanged a board for myself.

I drink nearly every beer except "Sternburger".
I don't know if I am suitable for this, you will only know it afterwards. I have a public liability insurance, in case I drop your phone.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!