Active Topics

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
The easiest option is to either sell my N810 or forget it in a drawer. But I don't want to do either. I still like it's much larger screen, better casing materials and the ability to have bright themes (all N900 themes have been variations on black, downright depressing).

Unfortunately since I've upgraded to the N900 a couple of months ago, my N810 has been collecting dust. So what can I still use it for, along the N900?

I know this question is borderline trollish, please don't take it as such.

You can do something like that : http://fredp.lautre.net/blog/.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Mine goes through various use cases but right now I'm using it as a bedside music player and alarm clock connected to an external speaker. I still break it out from its cabled situation every now and again and use it for fbreader as the bigger screen is nicer for that.

With a usb-host cable and a 3.5" extenal hard drive, you have your very own low power dedicated home linux server. SSH from your n900 and you now have access to all of your files

The Following User Says Thank You to notnarb For This Useful Post:
Try searching this forum for threads with titles like "Why should I keep me N8x0?" or "What do you do with your N8x0?" There are lots of them. Other ideas:

* Remote desktop
* Use Garnet VM to make it like a Palm PDA
* Media player (Personal Desktop + links to media players)
* Clone OS to SD card and download large games
* Experiment with alternate OSs or Easy Debian

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
other uses:

* paperwight
* doorstop
* conversation stopper when bricks are unavailable
* coaster

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Mine's now dedicated to being an always-on server (apache web server, xmarks bookmarks sync for all my machines, samba file sharing, syslog logging, openvpn (my n900 is the openvpn client), ssh, cron jobs etc).

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 228 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toronto, Canada
Thanks for all the replies, they are much appreciated.

Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
other uses:

* paperwight
* doorstop
* conversation stopper when bricks are unavailable
* coaster
All valid suggestions, but it's too smooth to be a doorstop, too irregularly shaped to be a coaster and too light to properly knock somebody out and stop the conversation. It does work perfectly as a paperweight, which is what I've been using it for the past two months.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Try searching this forum for threads with titles like "Why should I keep me N8x0?" or "What do you do with your N8x0?" There are lots of them. Other ideas:

* Remote desktop
* Use Garnet VM to make it like a Palm PDA
* Media player (Personal Desktop + links to media players)
* Clone OS to SD card and download large games
* Experiment with alternate OSs or Easy Debian
I've actually given Garnet VM some thought, and even ran it a while back. But I just sold my perfectly running Clie TH55 because I'm fed up with ancient Palm software. Sure, some of it is amazing but it was time to let it go. Flogging a dead horse and all that...

Many of the other suggestions involve running Linux and turning it into a server. Well, I have a dedicated Linux server at home that does file sharing over NFS and samba, and runs Apache, ssh. Sure, it draws more power, but it also has a monitor, keyboard and 2x1Tb drives in it.

I'll look into running other OSes and Easy Debian though, maybe even Garnet just for the hell of it.

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Broendby, Copenhagen, Denmark
With mine N800 I'm thinking eBook-reader and an extra Squeezebox remote (The latter runs via the microB browser and got a very nice UI).

Got a freqCPU util installed on it that enables me to undercloak it top 165Mhz, more than enough for updating pages when you read and it enhanced the batterytime - big time.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
I have placed my N810 standing on front of my PC monitor to block the bright blue (blinking) led on my 24" monitor...