Originally Posted by ABerri View Post
Almost more than 20 mins later and it's still on that same line...I'm hoping someone can help in the next few minutes. Not sure if I should just unplug my phone or if that will brick the device.

Were you able to fixed the problem?
Are you running windows 32 bit?

I stalled on using the nokia updater and having a hard time flashing it. I thought I bricked the phone. Was able to flash it after several tries (took me probably 20x).

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Almost more than 20 mins later and it's still on that same line...I'm hoping someone can help in the next few minutes. Not sure if I should just unplug my phone or if that will brick the device.
It's failing to recognise the phone - if it recognises it, it'll start flashing straight away. I didn't have any luck getting flasher to recognise my phone under Windows either - I ended up using a bootable Linux CD to flash it instead.

Posts: 82 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ West Coast, USA
No I didn't fix the problem. I just gave up and unplugged the device and powered it back on and all was normal again but never got to update the firmware.

I have Windows Vista with a 64-Bit Processor so I assume it's Vista 64 rather than 32.

I also disabled the driver signature verification upon starting windows when you press F8.

I will try to use Nokia Software updater tonight when I go home although I've never used it to manually do an update so I'll have to figure that one out.

Ok I used NSU last night and all worked well. I thought it would just do the Maemo 5 update, the small 16.2 MB size one but it did something like 172 MB and totally reflashed my phone. Great cos that's exactly what I was wanting to do. So in the first 12 hours so far, no sim card problems so far (Knock on wood) and let's pray it stays that way. I'll post back here later if that problem returns.

Quick question: How come when using the NSU, I wasn't able to choose which firmware I wanted to download? How do I know if I have the USA variant or the Global variant or what? I guess by default NSU will just download and install the one based on your default location.

I really wanted to do the Global variant but flashing through "cmd" prompt never worked. Learning something new everyday!

Ok I used NSU last night and all worked well. I thought it would just do the Maemo 5 update, the small 16.2 MB size one but it did something like 172 MB and totally reflashed my phone. Great cos that's exactly what I was wanting to do. So in the first 12 hours so far, no sim card problems so far (Knock on wood) and let's pray it stays that way. I'll post back here later if that problem returns.

Quick question: How come when using the NSU, I wasn't able to choose which firmware I wanted to download? How do I know if I have the USA variant or the Global variant or what? I guess by default NSU will just download and install the one based on your default location.

I really wanted to do the Global variant but flashing through "cmd" prompt never worked. Learning something new everyday!
NSU always rewrites the entire firmware, and I think it picks the firmware based on the product code of the N900 (that's how it works for S60 phones anyway).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
NSU always rewrites the entire firmware, and I think it picks the firmware based on the product code of the N900 (that's how it works for S60 phones anyway).
Good to know...Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm also seeing the same No-sim Icon, sim card with the red stripe through it.
I've only had the phone 5 days, Upon receiving it i added only the extras repository(catalog), no dev stuff. Downloaded firmware updates (2) that appeared in the update list and installed a few games, nothing much done.

The no-sim icon started appearing randomly, even when i wasn't even using the phone. I left it phone down for a charge, came back to get it only to notice it had started displaying the icon. It's happened whilst i've been on the phone to people so that i've been disconnected, and i've had friends telling me that they haven't been able to phone me because they've gotten a message saying my phone is unreachable. So i know it's been happening whilst it's in my pocket too. It would make you think that the sims simply not sitting right or its coming loose or something, but its absolutely not. Once its in it looks really secure.

I've been using the same sim i've had in my trusty N95 for nearly 2 years with no problems whatsoever. When i put the sim back in the N95, everything works fine, no apparent sim problems. When i put it in a freind's phone, again, no problems. Inspection of the sim slot in the N900 also shows it to be in perfect order, nothing looks wrong with it.

I enjoy hacking around with devices so i'm aware that there can be teething troubles with getting things to work just right so if i thought that this problem is purely software, i'm willing to just hold on and see if it gets fixed. But that means potentially 18 months of random no-sim icon, disconnections and ignored calls. Also, because i'm still within 7 days of purchase via mail, I think i can at least ask for an exchange for another N900. But should I go to that trouble, or just stick with it? Is this fixable with software? I'm not sure what step to take, the clock's ticking for me and any help is greatly appreciated!

Originally Posted by EarthRise View Post
Hi guys,

I'm also seeing the same No-sim Icon, sim card with the red stripe through it.

I enjoy hacking around with devices so i'm aware that there can be teething troubles with getting things to work just right so if i thought that this problem is purely software, i'm willing to just hold on and see if it gets fixed. But that means potentially 18 months of random no-sim icon, disconnections and ignored calls. Also, because i'm still within 7 days of purchase via mail, I think i can at least ask for an exchange for another N900. But should I go to that trouble, or just stick with it? Is this fixable with software? I'm not sure what step to take, the clock's ticking for me and any help is greatly appreciated!
You could try reflashing it - do both the eMMC and the firmware (this will wipe everything, so make sure you backup everything first). If that doesn't help, I'd get it exchanged.

Thank you for the quick reply, I've been thinking about it, I'm a little apprehensive incase I can't return it after flashing it if something goes wrong. Although I am very careful. Have many people had success getting rid of the no-sim problem via flashing the phone?

Last edited by EarthRise; 2010-02-22 at 21:51.

Originally Posted by EarthRise View Post
Thank you for the quick reply, I've been thinking about it, I'm a little apprehensive incase I can't return it after flashing it if something goes wrong. Although I am very careful. Have many people had success getting rid of the no-sim problem via flashing the phone?
You'd have to read through this thread to check on numbers. Any issues reflashing shouldn't prevent taking it back though - you're using Nokia-supplied tools in an approved manner, so there should be no excuse to void the warranty.

Tags
n900, not recognized, problem, sim, sim card, sim problem