Active Topics

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on May 2010 @ New Zealand
I have an n900, which I loved for a while, but got really sick of having to keep charging it every night, so I ended up using an e71 I got given by somebody who upgraded theirs. I also got a Motorola Xoom a year ago, flying out from Heathrow. About Xmas time this year, the n900 battery ran out, and I think I only ever recharged and switched it on once since then. Last week, I charged it up and switched it back on, and was surprised (not) to see that there was only one update for it. I'm taking that to mean that development has now almost completely ground to a halt.

So, the e71 is starting to crackle a bit, and although I'd expected the n900 to be the phone for me for a while - I really find having a device that has stalled in this way, that I need to recharge every night, isn't an attractive alternative. Which leaves android ICS, I guess. But, I though that before I spend money on a new smartphone, I'd check it out here.

I know I can still use the vanilla n900 maemo 5 much the same as I could a year or so back - if I want to. But of all the various hacks around - Mer, Nitdroid, even the CSSU - do any of them offer me any benefits and allow me to use the thing in the way I could use a new android phone? That is, as a mini-tablet computer that I can also use to make calls via a mobile network, browse, text, and so on.

I'd appreciate a straight yes or no type answer, not that I am wrong for asking this sort of question (which was one of the reasons I stopped posting and reading this forum a year ago).

Mish.
Maemo 5, Windows 7 (for MCE, MS.Word+Endnote), Debian, Ubuntu, trying to get LibreOffice Writer+Bibus working properly with EndNote bibliography, given up trying to get MythTV working with AverMedia Galaxy DVB-S USB tuner. Linux & astronomy: http://mishastro.wikispaces.com/

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Yes................

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ somerset
yes and more so, if battery issue is problem for you look in the battery thread at scud barreries and other mods or bigger capacity ones as there are a few avaliable

Are you asking if the n900 is a better 'mini tablet computer' than ICS droid?

If you want a 'smart mobile telephone', then get the android. You will love it. It looks just like a telefunkin' u47. It has loads of appz and gamez.

If you want a mini tablet computer then use your n900, be warned however, as a 'smartphone' it sucks goat ballz.

I have no idea what you have installed. If you install cssu-testing+kernel power v50+some other stuff you will now get overclocking, compcache, smartreflex,720p recording/playing and access to ALL of debian. This stuff increases funcionality and fixes the battery life issue. This makes for a very satisfying mini pocket computer PC thing.

You mentioned you have been using an e71 quite happily. This suggests to me that you in fact want a smart-telephone.

No, it is ok. You do not even need to thank me. Hey, I will even dispose of that shitty n900 for you, just mail it out.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post: