Active Topics

Hello - probably a sure road to frustration, but I'm attempting to write a program for my N800. I only began Linux a month ago, got my N800 two days ago, and although I'm an "experienced" C++ coder, have never programmed in Python...but I'm going to try! It feels too much like VB to me, especially with the whole Glade thing, but I've struggled just to get Xephyr running at all. I think it'd be faster to learn a new language than try to set up a dev environment then have to compile, set up debs, and install them every time I make a one-character change to a file. (Don't laugh - I miss Windows already! You just click build, click the exe and it runs without updating databases and slogging through repositories!)

ANYWAYS - sorry - here's my problem. I have a Notebook with a VBox inside. On the top is a Treeview, and beneath that, I tried an Entry then I tried a Toolbar. I want the toolbar or entry to only take up the space it uses, and the treeview to use the rest. Initially the treeview just expanded when I clicked the parents open, pushing the entrybox off the screen. So I put it in a scrollwindow. The tree scrolls beautifully, but now it only takes up 1/2 or 2/3 of the VBox's height. Is there a simple way to have the toolbar's vbox area shrink to the toolbar's height and the treeview to take up the rest of the area? I know there is, of course, Todo and a dozen other apps do it; but could anyone help me?

I tried using the "request" and "default" sizing options for them, but it doesn't affect the VBox's allotment for each control, just the amount of the control that's visible (like setting a 10px height for the entrybox won't shrink the lower half of the vbox to 10 px, it will just cut the bottom half of the entry box off).

Anyways, is there also a setting so that this is resized dynamically if there was another toolbar opened up later (like a search bar)? Or would I have to explicitly resize it?

Thanks for reading,
[bunnyfly]

Last edited by bunnyfly; 2007-08-26 at 10:47.

Nevermind : )

I was using add. I discovered I have to use pack_start with true for expand and fill on the treeview, and pack_start with false for expand and fill for the bottom bar. Thanks anyways,
[bunnyfly]