Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Let's not compare apples and oranges. The statistics you saw were simple calculations based on package counts in Maemo (which in itself is an ambiguous metric). Android does not use the same packaging policies, and also is heavily reliant on web-based services that themselves are not necessarily open (even though the client side *might* be), therefore *real* comparison is very difficult.
Because Nokia's services (server based, even if they're not using "web") are so very open? OviMaps? Calendar? Nokia email? Ovi? How do you figure it's got to be any more open than Android where the apps are increasingly less tied to the OS (as opposed to a broken OS when you try to remove the Nokia closed-minded apps)?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
How do you figure it's got to be any more open than Android
I never said that, I was just referring to you saying that according to statistics it is more open. To make a numbers-to-numbers comparison we would have to know the amount of closed source in both platforms on both client and server side (which we don't). You can *make a guess* by implementing a subjective metric (number of packages ? lines of code ? independent components ?) combined with gut feeling, but it's not according to any stats. That's the only thing I wanted to point out, not that X is (not) more open than Y.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Fair enough, I suppose. I don't think I'm entirely convinced, but it's a fair enough argument to be debated on some levels.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: