Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
I got finally git working (after I remembered that the public key at gitorious was 2 reflashes too old)

http://gitorious.org/vertsms

Now I have 3 problems:

-how can I get the contact chooser to output a number from contact's sms -field?

-what would be the best way to implement a timer for text input? ("aa","ab" etc not possible for now because there is no timeout)

-what is wrong with sending sms? the number is btw mine so before you press send, please edit the string
I am 100% sure it worked before but since I cleaned the code a lot and reorganized some stuff, it doesn't work anymore...

dbus-monitor reports nothing but print statements @ the code confirms that the code is ran and no errors appear.

future plans: when I get those 3 working, I start to learn packaging and try to get the app to extras-devel. then I create an announcement thread to M5 and see if there is interest to beta-test plus giving comments for improvements.

and one more known bug: no backspace key. got working function for it, only thing missing is the button plus signal to UI
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 50 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
I remember numerous threads about the portrait sms, so I definitely think it is a great idea, and I'm glad that somebody with programming knowledge have taken initiative!

I'm not sure, but are you working on a full qwerty or an alphanumeric keyboard?

Wheatbisc

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
my god i love you man! hope this thread gets enough attention amidst the pr 1.2 mania to sort your fixes, and i'd be more than happy to test once you have a workable package!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
sorry forgot to attach a screenshot.

there is also a need for chars below numbers so one button has
abc
etc...
Attached Images

If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
Still, it looks mighty fine!

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ New Delhi, India
Would love to test it once it's in a reasonable shape and form

Sorry, am a noob and can't help you with the development part.

Finally, a really usefull thread about a very important missing feauture (unlike this childish and ridiculus pr1.2 speculation thread).
Would be glad to test it too

The Following User Says Thank You to madnes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
I got finally git working (after I remembered that the public key at gitorious was 2 reflashes too old)

http://gitorious.org/vertsms

Now I have 3 problems:

-how can I get the contact chooser to output a number from contact's sms -field?

-what would be the best way to implement a timer for text input? ("aa","ab" etc not possible for now because there is no timeout)

-what is wrong with sending sms? the number is btw mine so before you press send, please edit the string
I am 100% sure it worked before but since I cleaned the code a lot and reorganized some stuff, it doesn't work anymore...

dbus-monitor reports nothing but print statements @ the code confirms that the code is ran and no errors appear.

future plans: when I get those 3 working, I start to learn packaging and try to get the app to extras-devel. then I create an announcement thread to M5 and see if there is interest to beta-test plus giving comments for improvements.

and one more known bug: no backspace key. got working function for it, only thing missing is the button plus signal to UI
I had the same idea some weeks ago, but still not enough time to start programming. Nice to see somebody else doing it.

So, if you program it with qt, I have some ideas to solve some of your problems.

1. Sry, but this is too maemo-specific, but I think the new mobile-apis of qt should give you help: http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2010...y-100-package/

2. I would start a QTimer after pressing a button and only accept new presses on the same button, if it was enough ms ago.

3. No idea, because I didn't tried your app.

Also, another idea on the "char-problem" -> You can call the function "yourbutton->setText("aString")", if you are in the sms-writing field, and set there the chars instead of the keys. If you are in the Number-field, you can set the Numbers as Text for the buttons.

Ahhh, sry,

I've just seen, that you use gtk as a GUI-Toolkit, but I'll post this anyway in the hope to help you a little bit.

A T9 dictionary would be the best option IMO, don't know how easy it would be to implement using the keypad already installed in the phone app

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
T9 might be hard to implement, unless the dictionaries are under CC.

The Following User Says Thank You to rickysio For This Useful Post:

Tags
portrait sms, python