Active Topics

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I changed the value of EmulateThirdButtonTimeout to "750" and it's working much better now. I will update the script to make this configurable in the conf file and I'll set a more sensible default.
I totally missed that there's an xorg.conf in this system. I always went straight to xorg.conf.d and was puzzled to only find the default files there.

These are the XKB patches that are downloaded and applied to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51. If you want to restore the original file just run apt-get --reinstall install xkb-data.
I'll give that a try. Thanks!

@systemd:
I don't want to turn this into yet another systemd thread and my knowledge about init systems isn't deep enough to actually judge that matter.
With the dependency situation in the long run I mean post-jessie. The quality of the software in the debian repos varies greatly and my concern is that some packages in the "outskirts" may not be tested enough against a 2nd non-default init system.
I think fso-deviced is a good example. Apparently I'm the only one who has tested it since the systemd transition and there might be lots of other packages which seem to be ok, but are actually simply not used which means nobody notices that they're not ok.

If that's what's causing it, I think we're looking at a driver patch to fix it.
Sounds good.
btw, I had a look at Maemo's power_supply directory and apparently there's no value indication the current charge either. How does Maemo determine the battery status? Based on the voltage?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I totally missed that there's an xorg.conf in this system. I always went straight to xorg.conf.d and was puzzled to only find the default files there.
I'll probably split it up into separate xorg.conf.d files when it gets larger.

@systemd:
I don't want to turn this into yet another systemd thread and my knowledge about init systems isn't deep enough to actually judge that matter.
With the dependency situation in the long run I mean post-jessie. The quality of the software in the debian repos varies greatly and my concern is that some packages in the "outskirts" may not be tested enough against a 2nd non-default init system.
In my opinion, well written software should work regardless of the init system that has been installed. If it doesn't work, then a legitimate bug should be reported and then subsequently fixed.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
In my opinion, well written software should work regardless of the init system that has been installed. If it doesn't work, then a legitimate bug should be reported and then subsequently fixed.
Ok, there we are:
I installed lxde-core without suggests and recommends. lxsession brings a graphical logout via lxsession-logout. This only works with libpolicykit-1 installed which in turn depends on libpam-systemd and therefore sytemd.

edit:
It's the same with libpolkit-backend-1-0 and libsystemd0. I reduced the systemd packages to recommends for both and policykit-1 installed fine.
The logout GUI still didn't come up but segfaulted instead. strace revealed that I had to install lsb-release. The GUI came up but without buttons for shutdown or reboot. I will investigate that later.

edit2:
btw I missed Tab in X11. Since Shift+Space doesn't work as Tab here I remapped @ to Shift+Space and now use AltGr+Space for Tab.

Last edited by sulu; 2014-10-22 at 22:36.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Ok, there we are:
I installed lxde-core without suggests and recommends. lxsession brings a graphical logout via lxsession-logout. This only works with libpolicykit-1 installed which in turn depends on libpam-systemd and therefore sytemd.

edit:
It's the same with libpolkit-backend-1-0 and libsystemd0. I reduced the systemd packages to recommends for both and policykit-1 installed fine.
The logout GUI still didn't come up but segfaulted instead. strace revealed that I had to install lsb-release. The GUI came up but without buttons for shutdown or reboot. I will investigate that later.
The critical systemd package that will change the init system is systemd-sysv. Fortunately, there's systemd-shim for those of us who don't want to use systemd. libpam-systemd and similar packages will happily install with the shim instead of systemd-sysv.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
With systemd-shim, the GUI for logout will come up and everything will work, *except* reboot and shutdown (aka most important things). Don't expect it to work no matter what you do. There is a huge patch apparently fixing many issues (targeted at lxsession package, i believe) send by a non-maintainer over a year ago, but it sits in debian's "mentors" limbo since then, and it doesn't look like situation is going to change, anytime soon.

Might be work trying to compile the 0.4.9.2-1.1 version of lxsession yourself, from the source send to mentors - everywhere I've searched, people mention that it fixes things as advertised, and I find exactly zero claims, that it breaks something else/doesn't work.

btw, I had a look at Maemo's power_supply directory and apparently there's no value indication the current charge either. How does Maemo determine the battery status? Based on the voltage?
WTF? there definitely *should* be one, provided by the upstream bq27x00_battery kernel module. For sure, there is one, when using said module with Maemo (/sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0/charge_now) and chip provides those information just right.

If module, for some reasons, fails to provide under native debian,an intermediate fix might be to using i2cget directly in a script, just like good'old bq27200.sh script did. It could temporaly do the job in stead ( ) of kernel module, by exposing values to fake sysnode. You would somehow need to direct thing to look there (at your fake sysnode), instead of default one, though...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
with regard to missing shutdow options, has user got correct permissions/group?

The critical systemd package that will change the init system is systemd-sysv. Fortunately, there's systemd-shim for those of us who don't want to use systemd. libpam-systemd and similar packages will happily install with the shim instead of systemd-sysv.
Correct. Installed systemd-shim, reinstalled policykit-1 and libpolkit-backend-1-0 and the full dialogue came up. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
With systemd-shim, the GUI for logout will come up and everything will work, *except* reboot and shutdown (aka most important things). Don't expect it to work no matter what you do. There is a huge patch apparently fixing many issues (targeted at lxsession package, i believe) send by a non-maintainer over a year ago, but it sits in debian's "mentors" limbo since then, and it doesn't look like situation is going to change, anytime soon.
Somebody heard you [1]
It's not yet in the repo as a binary, but that should change very soon.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
WTF? there definitely *should* be one, provided by the upstream bq27x00_battery kernel module. For sure, there is one, when using said module with Maemo (/sys/class/power_supply/bq27200-0/charge_now) and chip provides those information just right.
This is from my primary N900 running Fremantle with KP:
Code:
# uname -a
Linux Nokia-N900-02-8 2.6.28.10-power52 #1 PREEMPT Sat Apr 6 11:59:23 UTC 2013 armv7l GNU/Linux
# ls /sys/class/power_supply/rx51-battery/
charge_full_design  present             technology          type                voltage_max_design
power               subsystem           temp                uevent              voltage_now
# cat /sys/class/power_supply/rx51-battery/uevent 
POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=rx51-battery
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=Battery
POWER_SUPPLY_TECHNOLOGY=Li-ion
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MAX_DESIGN=4200000
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_NOW=4023000
POWER_SUPPLY_TEMP=240
POWER_SUPPLY_CHARGE_FULL_DESIGN=1323752

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
with regard to missing shutdow options, has user got correct permissions/group?
This is from DebiaN900:
Code:
$ id
uid=1000(user) gid=1000(user) Gruppen=1000(user),109(netdev)
Do I need more?
I have an old Lenny VM where I'm also in powerdev, but that's neither the case for my Wheezy desktop (Xfce) nor my Jessie VM (LXDE, installed before systemd transition, shutdown not working either)

[1] https://packages.qa.debian.org/l/lxs...3T032127Z.html

Edit:
Is there a way to give regular users write permissions to /sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness ?

Edit2:
It would also be nice if the kernel could provide /dev/rfkill

Last edited by sulu; 2014-10-23 at 19:42.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
I finally found the courage to install alsa. However it doesn't seem to detect the soundcard:
Code:
# aplay -l
aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found
And I must confess I'm pretty helpless in tracking this down without having a pci bus.
I guess the modules are fine?:
Code:
# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ctr                     3336  1 
ccm                     7053  1 
bnep                    9909  2 
bluetooth             248083  5 bnep
ipv6                  281358  14 
fuse                   77788  1 
hsi_char                7426  0 
joydev                  8637  0 
mousedev                9646  0 
omap_ssi_port          12288  0 
arc4                    1559  2 
wl1251_spi              3430  0 
crc7                    1234  1 wl1251_spi
wl1251                 73971  1 wl1251_spi
snd_soc_rx51            7703  0 
mac80211              322038  2 wl1251,wl1251_spi
isp1704_charger         5071  0 
snd_soc_omap_mcbsp     17542  1 snd_soc_rx51
snd_soc_omap            2660  1 snd_soc_omap_mcbsp
snd_pcm_dmaengine       5201  1 snd_soc_omap
cfg80211              219814  2 mac80211,wl1251
snd_soc_tlv320aic3x    35231  0 
snd_soc_tpa6130a2       5866  1 snd_soc_rx51
snd_soc_core          127794  5 snd_soc_omap,snd_soc_rx51,snd_soc_tlv320aic3x,snd_soc_omap_mcbsp,snd_soc_tpa6130a2
snd_compress            7542  1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm                81851  5 snd_soc_core,snd_soc_omap,snd_soc_rx51,snd_soc_omap_mcbsp,snd_pcm_dmaengine
tsc2005                 6939  0 
snd_timer              19605  1 snd_pcm
snd                    48052  4 snd_soc_core,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_compress
bq2415x_charger        14213  0 
bq27x00_battery         5613  0 
leds_lp5523             8103  0 
tsl2563                 5493  0 
leds_lp55xx_common      7916  1 leds_lp5523
soundcore                990  1 snd
rtc_twl                 5537  0 
twl4030_vibra           2341  0 
twl4030_madc            8668  0 
ff_memless              4249  1 twl4030_vibra
industrialio           25131  2 twl4030_madc,tsl2563
omap_ssi                5347  1 
hsi                    10348  3 omap_ssi,omap_ssi_port,hsi_char
ext4                  343037  1 
mbcache                 9685  1 ext4
jbd2                   76226  1 ext4
sd_mod                 28098  0 
scsi_mod              122176  1 sd_mod
omaplfb                10595  0 
pvrsrvkm              117851  1 omaplfb
omap_wdt                3635  0 
twl4030_wdt             2249  0
I didn't blacklist any modules.

Edit:
Apparently sound should work somehow:
http://elektranox.org/n900/status/sound.html

Last edited by sulu; 2014-10-25 at 18:15.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Edit:
Apparently sound should work somehow:
http://elektranox.org/n900/status/sound.html
However, if you dig deeper: http://elinux.org/N900 (search for " All sound alsa switches and channels ") it states that it works only when using kernel from Fremantle and no patches are available for mainline kernel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
I missed that note about the kernel. Thanks!

Another issue I came across, at least if you want to use the N900 as a phone is the power consumption. On Debian it needs about 10x the power it needs on Maemo which results in a battery lifetime of about 6 hours.

Sure, this is with wifi (and maybe some other components) always on and there are probably some kernel tweaks missing and the userland isn't configured for saving power either, so I was expecting a higher power consumption. And it would certainly be much better if suspend to RAM worked, but factor 10 is still quite a lot.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, debian900, devuan, maemo 7