Posts: 19 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Monroe, Washington
Is Mer for the N810 up to day to day use quality? I assumed that it wasn't but I wanted to know. I don't have an N810 yet so I can't see for my self. If not when will it get to that point? Is anyone working on it? Or is everyone just dumping the N810 and focusing on the N900?(Which is way to expensive for me to even consider)

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1,684 | Thanked: 1,562 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Austin, TX
Due to some of the Maemo projects getting too busy I've had to back off from Mer so I'm a bit out of the loop. So the short answer is from what I gather, currently not. For the last release of Mer, they were in kind of a holding pattern waiting for Maemo 5 code drops from Nokia. Hopefully it'll be shaping up soon.

The best ways to get an idea of the status include
  • Checking the known issues on the Mer download page
  • Checking the hardware support page (But sometimes people are slow in updating it)
  • Downloading the Virtual Machine image and trying it out.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Due to the N900 and the somewhat 'fickle' attention span/continuity within the maemo development community I'd say that personally I have given up on ever seeing the Mer project produce a stable and full featured product (as 'stable and full featured' as say Diablo).

Not to 'blame' the developers but there are simply not enough of them - and the ones still 'willing' to develop for legacy products like the NITs are even fewer.

I of course hope I may be wrong..but...I sort of doubt it
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I think they are waiting for the open gl driver from Texas instruments..

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by claesbas View Post
I think they are waiting for the open gl driver from Texas instruments..
It was mentioned that not having the drivers are not holding up the progress of Mer.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 472 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
oh ok, I too sure hope its coming along still.. even though slow

Originally Posted by claesbas View Post
oh ok, I too sure hope its coming along still.. even though slow
So do I, it would be nice to get access to some of the Ubuntu software on the NIT.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
Due to the N900 and the somewhat 'fickle' attention span/continuity within the maemo development community I'd say that personally I have given up on ever seeing the Mer project produce a stable and full featured product (as 'stable and full featured' as say Diablo).
Sad to say but I think you're right. I doubt Mer is going to get beyond the experiment/toy stage. I would actually have higher hopes for the attempts at porting Android to the N810. But realistically, I use my N810, at least in part, for my work and I can't afford to experiment too much so it's probably Diablo till the battery dies.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Shangri-la Oregon
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Sad to say but I think you're right. I doubt Mer is going to get beyond the experiment/toy stage. I would actually have higher hopes for the attempts at porting Android to the N810. But realistically, I use my N810, at least in part, for my work and I can't afford to experiment too much so it's probably Diablo till the battery dies.
You do know that the battery IS replacable, right?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by jlslate View Post
You do know that the battery IS replacable, right?
It's always been my policy that, given the choice between a new battery and new technology, I want the shiny new gadget.

Tags
daily use, mer, n810, readiness