The n900 will eventually get there as long as they fix and update all the current issues. Nokia also needs to market things better. I mean i hardly see any nokia ads, Yeah maybe in the paper I might see one like once a year! And the other only time i do is the odd lil video clips on youtube or on their website. Apple is ahead because of its marketting, everyone knws about it. Not so many people know about the n900 and when you do mention it they are like oh whats that so what can that do etc.
If nokia wants to up its game, it has to get in the game! They go about things the wrong way. Although with the n900 they have taken the right step forward and its about time as well.
Let's see what and if they do anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to badboyuk For This Useful Post:
Like in one of my previous posts, nokia need to get in peoples faces, be it app developers or joe public.

Like or lump it the iPhone is the sky+ or the phone world. Nokia need to see the iPhone as the baseline and build from it.

For the first time this week I had iPhone app envy. I peered over a work mates shoulder and saw a slick game. Sad fact I bet it cost 59p

Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by darlomrh View Post
Like in one of my previous posts, nokia need to get in peoples faces, be it app developers or joe public.

Like or lump it the iPhone is the sky+ or the phone world. Nokia need to see the iPhone as the baseline and build from it.

For the first time this week I had iPhone app envy. I peered over a work mates shoulder and saw a slick game. Sad fact I bet it cost 59p
I also cry myself to sleep when i see some of the apps available for the IPhone
There's no doubt the N900 has huge potential but the lack of commercial apps/games via the Ovi Store is draining every bit of patience i have left.

They have time to update the ovi store with movie trailers but no apps? Lol compared to the iphone that sells/rents full movies via their appstore?

Nokia seriously need to up their game

Last edited by nathaneous; 2010-02-25 at 19:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathaneous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nathaneous View Post
I also cry myself to sleep when i see some of the apps available for the IPhone
There's no doubt the N900 has huge potential but the lack of commercial apps/games via the Ovi Store is draining every bit of patience i have left.

They have time to update the ovi store with movie trailers but no apps? Lol compared to the iphone that sells/rents full movies via their appstore?

Nokia seriously need to up their game
There is simply no incentive for a new C/C++ developer to write apps for Maemo 5 unless they are an extreme fanboy. Nokia needs to give financial incentives, perhaps only taking 10% cut of the app PLUS matching/doubling the dollar sales for every 10,000 downloads.

A HUGE financial incentive is the only way to Push a bunch of quality apps initially. Apple did not need to do this as the initial sales were because of the sexy hardware "at the time".

I also don't believe Nokia can attract top developers especially with Google, Microsoft, Apple and hot startups being the top choice for the best developers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Remember though that the Maemo section of Nokia is tiny. The pain that has first to be accepted is letting Symbian off the top shelf. Maemo/MeeGo/Whatever else it is now, needs to stabilise and that takes time, resources and planning. Bit slow on the up take but you have to get the foundations in place first.
I think the problems with Nokia have less to do with Maemo or Symbian and a LOT more to do with the way they operate as a business and their relationship with customers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 295 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Manchester, UK
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
There is simply no incentive for a new C/C++ developer to write apps for Maemo 5 unless they are an extreme fanboy. Nokia needs to give financial incentives, perhaps only taking 10% cut of the app PLUS matching/doubling the dollar sales for every 10,000 downloads.

A HUGE financial incentive is the only way to Push a bunch of quality apps initially. Apple did not need to do this as the initial sales were because of the sexy hardware "at the time".

I also don't believe Nokia can attract top developers especially with Google, Microsoft, Apple and hot startups being the top choice for the best developers.
Shame on Nokia for allowing Iphone and other smartphone OS to attract all the best developers

I had the Nokia E71 before my N900 and i was very happy with the apps available for it i.e Operamini, buddycloud, nimbuzz, Skyfire, Mobbler, Iplayer etc. The only thing i felt Iphone had over my phone was the great gaming experience but i got my kicks off picodrive emulator for sega genesis anyway

Now i find myself forever waiting for some new and decent apps to be made available for the N900. I honestly brought this phone thinking the Ovistore was in full flow....boy was i wrong

Now i get some kicks reading Sherlock homes via MGutenburg and listening to Internet radio

Sort it out Nokia...i'm only 24yrs old

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nathaneous For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
There is simply no incentive for a new C/C++ developer to write apps for Maemo 5 unless they are an extreme fanboy.
The incentive is Symbian and its market share. Any new apps are supposed to use Qt. If Nokia can make developers realize this, they will attract many of the best.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I think the problems with Nokia have less to do with Maemo or Symbian and a LOT more to do with the way they operate as a business and their relationship with customers.
Operate, I don't agree. The software quality is steadily improving - I think they've learnt their lesson.

Customers, definitely. Too many mixed messages and customers disappointed by wrong expectations. Just look at our beloved N900 and all the people wanting to return it due to incomplete phone features despite its astounding capabilities as a computer. I also think it's obvious Maemo 5 will be adequately supported through Qt even if we never get an OS upgrade, but MeeGo has caused a huge negative uproar despite really being a positive development.

Last edited by livefreeordie; 2010-02-25 at 20:07.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
The incentive is Symbian and its market share. Any new apps are supposed to use Qt. If Nokia can make developers realize this, they will attract many of the best.
How well does Ovi work on Symbian side anyway?

Huge markets doesn't directly translate to good sales if there's no good ad/sales/distribution/payment infrastructure. This is a strong side of Apple that needs to be copied by Nokia, pronto.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by livefreeordie View Post
Customers, definitely. Too many mixed messages and customers disappointed by wrong expectations. Just look at our beloved N900 and all the people wanting to return it due to incomplete phone features despite its astounding capabilities as a computer.
I think part of the problem is expecting that the N900 would be a iPhone killer, when really we were talking about it being more like the G1, with a newish phone OS. I think it has sold better than even what Nokia was expecting.

Nokia fumbling the Ovi Store hasn't helped, but I do think the problems will get ironed out eventually. Android didn't have a pay store until 5 months after Android Market was launched.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
How well does Ovi work on Symbian side anyway?
It attracted a huge amount of negative publicity in the beginning, but it works flawlessly on my 5800. All it needs is more apps, which is really puzzling considering Nokia's market share. It's probably because most small development companies are American, so they really need to push S^3 in the US.