I came -->this<--- close to buying an N900. What put me off was the news that Maemo6 won't be supported on the device. Multi-touch is not important, but I suppose application-wise, long term support will be an important factor.

I've been rummaging through Google for updates on the second-generation of N900 phones-- but no news so far.

I was wondering if anyone has had news about when Nokia will release a tablet phone that supports Maemo6 (or any other good phones that'll run maemo6 for that matter).

thanks.

1. Have you got the confirmation that MeeGo won't be supported on the N900? As far as I was aware there was no information stating for or against it (although some people claimed to have information that it would)

2. Maemo 6 will be called MeeGo now that Nokia has merged it with Intel, I love the new name. There is currently no information on a MeeGo tablet (as far as I'm aware) but I'd expect one Q3-Q4 this year.

3. If your worried about the next S/W not being supported when you buy a phone, will you ever actually buy one? Or just keep waiting?

The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPand0r For This Useful Post:
Another whine thread? Nobody said Maemo 6 wouldn't be supported. I'm not even sure what Maemo 6 is anymore. See you in a couple years

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
this is not a whine thread, its a guy researching the future of a device hes thinking of buying which is what the whiners should of done to know what they are buying
if your concerned about the future i recommend you wait a month or so until there's more details released about MeeGo.
saying that though N900 is a great device and it as a future in terms of updates and support despite what a few cynics think.

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-02-27 at 07:48.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Here's my take on the N900's future, according to Nokia's recent strategies: it won't get an "official" port of the next OS (Maemo 6/MeeGo/Harmattan/whatever), but it will get an official Qt4.6 (framework) port.

With other words, applications written in Qt should run on the N900 in the future. However, new OS features like portrait mode won't be availible.

Originally Posted by c0rt3x View Post
With other words, applications written in Qt should run on the N900 in the future. However, new OS features like portrait mode won't be availible.
Maemo 5 supports portrait mode already. If those new apps written using Qt implement it, it will work.

And really, all this complaining about what OS version number your device is on is pointless. The current libraries are future proof, and if you really must have some newer feature, link it statically. I'm fully confident most Harmattan apps will work on Maemo 5, unless developers go out of their way to use bleeding edge dependencies. The only things I really need from Nokia are security patches.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
3 choices really:

1. If you are willing to wait at least another 6 to 8 months, just wait.
2. If you can find a better device than N900 right now, get that instead.
3. Get the N900 and enjoy all the things it can do right now and in the future.

Application support will be here for a LONG time. Especially considering N900 will support all Qt 4.6 based apps that Meego/Harmattan will run.

Yeah, waiting does seem to be the better choice for now. And like you guys pointed earlier, if the libraries will support future applications, and QT releases, then my concern is a non-issue.

Just the same, I'll wait for 6-8 months and hope that all hardware-related issues are also ironed out for the next release.

thanks all.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Poland
Originally Posted by lilendian View Post
Yeah, waiting does seem to be the better choice for now. And like you guys pointed earlier, if the libraries will support future applications, and QT releases, then my concern is a non-issue.

Just the same, I'll wait for 6-8 months and hope that all hardware-related issues are also ironed out for the next release.

thanks all.
I've been waiting for 12 months.
First I thought I'd get myself the N97, but after I assesing my needs and what this would provide, I waited but still was interested.
Then the N900 was announced, looked at the specs and I was hooked.
Now I'm gathering cash and buying this phone.

Cause I don't want to want another 9 months for the next great new invention

I was almost close to buying an N900 too, but the news of MeeGo got me thinking.

After alot og thought, I'm am now sat here with a N900! If there was no QT, I wouldn't have bothered, but QT should mean a boost of applications for the N900.

If MeeGo doesn't come to the N900, so what? I was stuck running S60v3 on my N82 a long time after S60v5 came out. It still got updates, it still got new applications, and people still created hacks/mods for it.