Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Newton too. They're great but just not hitting the market at the right time. What a shame.
i would rather say that iphone created the market it needed.
iphone is a fashion acessory more than a phone and that route would not be possible to nokia or anyone else. But nokia could have had almost the same opurtunity to jump on the bandwagon as android if they had continued with hi end devices.

Also mercedes bmw and other such companies doesnt make their hi end cars just to make money on them, they make them to boost their brand so more of their cheap cars will be sold too.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
As said by people somewhere else on TMO, Nokia should've went Maemo on their phones way back in 2005. If the flagship phones had the specs the 770 had way back, it would've flown off the shelves.
Probably even a Communicator replacement with a keyboard would've changed everything.

By 2007, Symbian was seeing the last of its days as the most advanced mobile OS. After the iPhone 2G, I wonder why Nokia didn't panic and make the damn Internet Tablet Phone instead of waiting until 2009 and putting up against the iPhone 3GS.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
why do we have so many threads for the same topic?

I propose to merge them in a "how did nokia manage to bleep-up world domination in 4 years" thread

I can already visualize the tags...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
As said by people somewhere else on TMO, Nokia should've went Maemo on their phones way back in 2005. If the flagship phones had the specs the 770 had way back, it would've flown off the shelves. .
Indeed it is probable that they would. The ultra capable, technology packed phone was still appreciated then (the N95 outsold the iPhone every month of their coexistence), it just needed some extra appeal. A 4 inch 800x480 screen would be that appeal. Touch (finger) friendly interface could come as soon as one generation later (coinciding with the entrance of the iphone to most of the markets, thus negating the "wow touch" effect of the iphone)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Elop is just doing what he is told. But I have to wonder, Nokia ended up in this situation because they were arrogant, didn't understand the market, didn't understand what customers wanted, and eventually was not able to deliver what the customers wanted.

The N9 is exactly what the customers want, but now they are, seemingly at least, too stubborn to really go for it. It is like they are telling the customers; You don't really want the N9, you only want some bits and pieces of the technology, and we may give it to you in some future devices, not in a complete package like the N9, but spread out on several devices. Nokia - you are wrong!!!

IMO the N9 ball has already started rolling, and there is no way of stopping it. If it all ends up with Nokia going down the drain and someone else continuing (with the N9) where Nokia left, so be it. They got no one else to blame but themselves for being stubborn and arrogant.
lol get realistic no one else can make a replace it. Its not only a software issue.

Even if android fanboys disagree, Nokia is doing very good hw. Even if it doesnt have latest tripplecore cpu the buildquality of theyr phones often is better than crap androids. N900 is an exception probadly becaus is not build in finland instead its build in a taiwan like many androids...

so whom can take over N9? I hope youj dont mean LG because of theyr plans to support Meego :O

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-07-11 at 12:22.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Probably even a Communicator replacement with a keyboard would've changed everything.
i really miss the communicator keyboards, they had all the keys a desktop pc has including a separate joypad , and hence were superior to the crippled N900 keyboard.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Indeed it is probable that they would. The ultra capable, technology packed phone was still appreciated then (the N95 outsold the iPhone every month of their coexistence), it just needed some extra appeal. A 4 inch 800x480 screen would be that appeal. Touch (finger) friendly interface could come as soon as one generation later (coinciding with the entrance of the iphone to most of the markets, thus negating the "wow touch" effect of the iphone)
2007 indeed!

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Even if android fanboys disagree, Nokia is doing very good hw. Even if it doesnt have latest tripplecore cpu the buildquality of theyr phones often is better than crap androids. N900 is an exception probadly becaus is not build in finland instead its build in a taiwan like many androids...
Yes Nokia HW is usually very good, but...
I have had many many Nokias including the N95 and the N900, and I am sorry but no Nokia I have owned in the last 10 years had better build quality than the HTC I have right here.
This is a FACT, not being a fanboy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
lol get realistic no one else can make a replace it. Its not only a software issue.

so whom can take over N9? I hope youj dont mean LG because of theyr plans to support Meego :O
N900 is assembled in Korea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Yes Nokia HW is usually very good, but...
I have had many many Nokias including the N95 and the N900, and I am sorry but no Nokia I have owned in the last 10 years had better build quality than the HTC I have right here.
This is a FACT, not being a fanboy.
I'll just mention a couple of best quality Nokias.

3210, 3310, 1110, 6600, E51, E71, N82, etc.

You want me to add more?

Tags
bada rox, goodbye nokia, mantis boy, n9 rox, success: sold 7